Lady Aurelia

Lady Aurelia

Postby katmandu » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Rather surprised she doesn't have her own thread.

This is an enthusiastic worker. . . . devouring Hootenanny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpQipLoe3s
katmandu

Re: Lady Aurelia

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:33 pm

I agree and there's been lots of chatter about her, both here and across the pond.

Lady Aurelia Completes Final Keeneland Work Before Return To England
European champion Lady Aurelia, based at Keeneland with trainer Wesley Ward, on Tuesday covered 5 furlongs on a firm turf course in 1:02 in her final work here before her next scheduled start in England in the Aug. 25 Coolmore Nunthorpe (G1) at York. The 3-year-old Scat Daddy filly is to leave tomorrow for England, where she won the King's Stand (G1) at Royal Ascot on June 20.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/lady-aurelia-completes-final-keeneland-work-return-england/#.WYsUHNp1i4U.twitter

Nunthorpe Stakes: Battaash v Lady Aurelia a mouthwatering clash
Battaash is on course to clash with flying American filly Lady Aurelia in the Nunthorpe Stakes later this month, following his ultra-impressive success in the Group 2 King George Stakes at Goodwood.

The Charlie Hills trained gelding made it three out of three this season, as he showed plenty of early dash before surging clear inside the last to easily beat Profitable by 2 1/4 lengths.

It was an awesome display of speed and power.

The runner-up is a proven Group 1 horse who had previously chase home Lady Aurelia when beaten three lengths in the King’s Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot.

https://cheltenham-bet.co.uk/news/york-2017-ebor-festival-nunthorpe-stakes-betting-battaash-v-lady-aurelia/
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:40 pm

I saw Battaash's King George win and that horse is a beast...who apparently needed gelding in order to behave like a racehorse, instead of a beast in rut. :oops:
I love Lady Aurelia, but she's going to need to be at her best, IMHO, to beat this greatly-improved three-year-old.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Strike the Tiger Still Helping Ward Win in UK
Lady Aurelia (Scat Daddy) likes having a friend around, and who can blame her? Trainer Wesley Ward shipped his star filly Thursday to York, England for the Aug. 25 G1 Nunthorpe S. and didn’t want her to be by herself on the plane or for the van ride from the airport in Scotland to the race course. So he has enlisted an old pal to accompany her on the trip, former Royal Ascot winner Strike the Tiger (Tiger Ridge).

It’s a glamorous assignment for the now 10-year-old, whose post-racing life could have easily taken a wrong turn. He’s a one-hit wonder, winning the Windsor Castle S. at Royal Ascot in 2009, giving Ward his first winner at the meet. But he was unable to sustain that top level of competition, and while he did finish second in the GIII Transylvania S. in 2010 at Keeneland, what followed was an all-too-typical decline down the class ladder. By 2014, he was running in $12,500 and $16,000 claimers at Tampa Bay Downs and struggling to so much as pick up an occasional check.

With Strike the Tiger having obvious sentimental value to Ward, he kept close tabs on the horse and told his connections that whenever they were ready to retire him he wanted him back.

“He was making his way down the ladder and I went to Kellyn Gorder, who had him, and said that whenever you are ready to retire the horse I would give him a wonderful home for the rest of his life,” he said. “He was very gracious, a wonderful guy. He didn’t require any payment. He gave me the horse.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/strike-the-tiger-still-helping-ward-win-in-uk/#.WZMwnva4qG0.twitter
Strike the Tiger (in stall) and Lady Aurelia
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:17 pm

That is such a cool story. I wonder if 'Tiger is working as a stable pony for Ward?
ETA: Found the answer to my question: yes. :D
Strike the Tiger then learned a new career as stable pony, and he quickly adapted to his new role. Since Lady Aurelia arrived at the barn, he's been a constant companion.
“He fell right into his role as a pony and he's wonderful with all the horses,” Ward said. “He ponies Lady Aurelia by himself. He's just a real gentle soul as a horse.”

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ds-stable/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Starine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 pm

I had forgotten about him -- glad to hear he ended up back with Ward.
Starine

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Racing UK‏Verified account @Racing_UK
Wesley Ward on Lady Aurelia "She thinks she won the Nunthorpe" and says filly may stay in training two more years http://bit.ly/2vynZer
Wesley Ward believes Lady Aurelia thinks she won the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes and said on Monday night that she may stay in training for another two years.

Frankie Dettori thought he had guided the daughter of Scat Daddy to victory in the Group One showpiece at York - only for the photo-finish to reveal that his victory salute on the 10-11 favourite was unwarranted and that Marsha had prevailed by a nose.

However, Ward says Lady Aurelia’s demeanour since the dramatic dash indicates that she remains under the impression that she had followed up her triumph in the King’s Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot.

The Keeneland-based trainer said: “They do know. If they’re running hard and they’re in front and then somebody blows by them, the next day they’re kinda like ears back, dejected and sad almost.

"But the ones that win are the opposite. Their ears are up; they come out of the stall bouncing. She really thinks she won.”

Having had a few days to reflect on the narrowest of defeats, he added: “I thought for a second that she might have won when Frankie was so confident.

“The filly that won it, she ran a valiant race to run us down. She was very courageous to come and get what I believe is the fastest horse in the world. I was proud Lady Aurelia made such a tremendous effort back to back from here in the spring at Keeneland to Ascot to that race.”

Lady Aurelia will return to America at the end of the week and will have a break before her final race of the year - the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint 4 at Del Mar on November 4. Betfair and Paddy Power make her a best-priced 13-8 for that contest.

“We’ll look forward to the Breeders’ Cup then [will] put her away,” he said. “[Owners] Barbara Banke (of Stonestreet Stables) and Peter Leidel have committed to running her next year and possibly the year after that.
Sparrow Castle

Return to Racing