Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby With Anticipation » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 am

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — As racing looks to the future in New York state, trainer Rick Violette sees a few years where Saratoga Race Course could be open for two or three months.

While further expansion of the 40-day Saratoga season is an annual topic, Violette predicted Tuesday that a longer upstate meet would be needed if Aqueduct Racetrack is closed to allow for the expansion of the Genting-run casino on the property, now owned by New York State. Speaking on the panel “The Newest NYRA and the Future,” at Albany Law School’s Saratoga Institute on Equine Racing and Gaming, Violette said Belmont Park would likely not be available while it is being transformed into a year-round facility.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ex ... ssibility/
With Anticipation
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby Miss Woodford » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Again? The longer the meeting is the more it'll get diluted and become less of an event.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby blamethewinner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:Again? The longer the meeting is the more it'll get diluted and become less of an event.


It's been the same number of days for 20 years. What are you talking about?
blamethewinner
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm

blamethewinner wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Again? The longer the meeting is the more it'll get diluted and become less of an event.


It's been the same number of days for 20 years. What are you talking about?


I thought it was increased. I would actually swear it, but that doesn't make me right. I felt like they were dark two days when I was younger. And people whining over the increase a few years ago.

This depresses me. Only for the reason that this surely means Belmont will get a gut reno and the Belmont I know and love won't be anymore. It needs it but..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby blamethewinner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
blamethewinner wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Again? The longer the meeting is the more it'll get diluted and become less of an event.


It's been the same number of days for 20 years. What are you talking about?


I thought it was increased. I would actually swear it, but that doesn't make me right. I felt like they were dark two days when I was younger. And people whining over the increase a few years ago.

This depresses me. Only for the reason that this surely means Belmont will get a gut reno and the Belmont I know and love won't be anymore. It needs it but..


It went from 36 days to 40 days in 2011. My mistake. Handle and attendance have risen nearly every single year since though.

I am afraid a gutting of Belmont is in the offing.
blamethewinner
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Attendance figures at racetracks are not very reliable. Handle, though, is different.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby thinair » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:17 pm

I can only speak for 1974 to the present, but there have NEVER been two dark days any week up here ( unless there was a weather cancellation, of which there have been very few ). In fact, there was a year in the early 80s ( somewhere between 1981 and 1983 ) where they raced 27 straight days with NO dark days the entire meet. There had been a ton of cancellations during the Winter and that was one crazy way they tried to make it up.
thinair
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby sweettalk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 pm

thinair wrote:I can only speak for 1974 to the present, but there have NEVER been two dark days any week up here ( unless there was a weather cancellation, of which there have been very few ). In fact, there was a year in the early 80s ( somewhere between 1981 and 1983 ) where they raced 27 straight days with NO dark days the entire meet. There had been a ton of cancellations during the Winter and that was one crazy way they tried to make it up.

i feel like i haven't seen you in ages.

there has already been a 3 horse graded stakes event, not sure why they're expanding, but. good luck to them if they do.
Follow your heart. You need it. And where did it learn to scurry like that?
User avatar
sweettalk
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 am

sweettalk wrote:
there has already been a 3 horse graded stakes event, not sure why they're expanding, but. good luck to them if they do.


I think if they expand this meet it would be to reno one of the other two tracks.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6834
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Expanded Racing at Saratoga a Possibility

Postby Ballerina » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 pm

If they expand the meet, I believe they'd go to two dark days.
User avatar
Ballerina
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Next

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], blamethewinner and 8 guests