Well-known racehorses who went on to second careers

Well-known racehorses who went on to second careers

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

Working on a little project and it involves OTTBs! I'm looking for a list or even just a handful of famous/well-known racehorses who ended up going onto something else after racing (that isn't, obviously, breeding). I suspect this will be almost exclusively geldings, but a cursory Google didn't bring up a large list.

I'm open to anything -- track ponies aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm still interested to know! Same with second career ambassadors like Cigar and JohnHenry at KHP. The holy grail though would be horses like Kelso, who went on to a hunter-jumper career, or a horse like Scrappy T whose second career owner shared pics of him under saddle here a few years ago.

"Well known" doesn't need to mean MGSW or anything, but horses with notoriety outside of a hardened track veteran. Scrappy T, again, is a good example.

Any help would be appreciated!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Re: Well-known racehorses who went on to second careers

Postby Squeaky » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:19 am

Icabad Crane has been retrained by Olympian Phillip Dutton as a successful event horse and is now being competed by his daughter Olivia. He was third in Preakness awhile back and won over 600k. More on Icabad Crane Facebook page.
Last edited by Squeaky on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squeaky

Postby MySaladDays » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:29 am

The list is actually very long, in the thousands. W/out a database would take years to list.

You may want to narrow your project to more specificity, like "horses who ran in the KY Derby" or something.

You might contact the Retired Racehorse Training Project (RRTP). I know they keep some records. Also, New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program , the Paddock Foundation, and Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (TAA).

Ones I can think of are:
Icabad Crane
Sam P. (ran 9th in KY Derby against Street Sense)
Discreet Dancer
Exponential
Mr. Hot Stuff
Exploring
Scenic Blast

A list that would also bring more consciousness to people would be a list of ex racehorses who are found in kill pens, and rescued, like Clever Allemont. There are more than you would think.
MySaladDays

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Squeaky wrote:Icabad Crane has been retrained by Olympian Phillip Dutton as a successful event horse and is now being competed by his daughter Olivia. He was third in Preakness awhile back and won over 600k. More on Icabad Crane Facebook page.

Perfect! Thank you.

MySaladDays wrote:The list is actually very long, in the thousands. W/out a database would take years to list.

You may want to narrow your project to more specificity, like "horses who ran in the KY Derby" or something.

You might contact the Retired Racehorse Training Project (RRTP). I know they keep some records. Also, New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program , the Paddock Foundation, and Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (TAA).

Ones I can think of are:
Icabad Crane
Sam P. (ran 9th in KY Derby against Street Sense)
Discreet Dancer
Exponential
Mr. Hot Stuff
Exploring
Scenic Blast

A list that would also bring more consciousness to people would be a list of ex racehorses who are found in kill pens, and rescued, like Clever Allemont. There are more than you would think.

Thanks for your thoughts! I don't need a comprehensive list for this project -- just a robust/interesting one. Horses people would go, "ohh!" And want to know more about. The Icabad Cranes and Mr. Hot Stuffs of the world...for example, I'm not familiar with Exploring, and I'm guessing most non-racing fans would be even less so.

I know New Vocations, Steuart Pittman, et al probably keep records on their own horses, but I already have plans for reaching out to these organizations. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I spend most of my time working for and with OTTBs in an aftercare organization, so I'm painfully aware of how many OTTBs end up in dire straights and in kill pens. That's a very worthwhile project indeed, and a huge focus of my day-to-day. :) Blazing Colors Farm, a Canadian outfit that breeds colorful TB sporthorses, recently picked up an OTTB from a kill pen who was just in awful condition. They recently took him to his first show and he looks like a million bucks. They have a pretty strong following, so it's great to see them raising awareness even in a for-profit situation.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby TouchOfGrey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:42 pm

In the Saratoga Special, they have a Photo of the Day feature that highlights retired racehorses that have went on to other careers.

From today's issue:

TouchOfGrey

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:In the Saratoga Special, they have a Photo of the Day feature that highlights retired racehorses that have went on to other careers.

From today's issue:

Oh! This is a lovely feature. Thanks for sharing! I'm gonna go peek every day.
Insane Crazy

Postby Curtis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:15 pm

I believe Kelso had a long career in Dressage? There was a multiple G1 winner back in the '70's named Stardust Mel who had a very accomplished career as a jumper. He ended up with Sandy Hawley's ex-wife. I think my own Border Run had some show experience as he's as steady as they come under English tack but I've never been able to confirm that.
Curtis

Postby lurkey mclurker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:49 pm

I imagine he wasn't at all a *well-known* racehorse, but Idle Dice was an OTTB turned world-class champion jumper for Rodney Jenkins (who now trains racehorses, LOL)...

http://www.pedigreequery.com/idle+dice2

He was a gorgeous boy, always on the cover of my horse mags when I was a younger girl. :mrgreen:

ETA: And apparently Jet Run started 7 times too before his magnificent show jumping career.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/jet+run
Last edited by lurkey mclurker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurkey mclurker

Postby mariasmon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Songster is now a stable pony for Albertrani, after some other stops in between.
mariasmon

Postby sweettalk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:13 pm

mariasmon wrote:Songster is now a stable pony for Albertrani, after some other stops in between.

i wondered where he was. glad he's safe :)
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

Next

Return to Racing