Saratoga News & Notes - 2017

User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Probably no one cares but in doing so she just captured the second leg of the NY fillies triple tiara. If she wins the Alabama she'd be the first filly to win the series in its current formulation and the first to win the NYTT since Sky Beauty in 1993
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
peeptoad
Posts: 2724
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 am

Treve wrote:Probably no one cares but in doing so she just captured the second leg of the NY fillies triple tiara. If she wins the Alabama she'd be the first filly to win the series in its current formulation and the first to win the NYTT since Sky Beauty in 1993
I care and I hope she goes for the sweep. The Alabama should be a pretty good race if all show up. Among others, I think Holy Helena is going there as well.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am

peeptoad wrote:
Treve wrote:Probably no one cares but in doing so she just captured the second leg of the NY fillies triple tiara. If she wins the Alabama she'd be the first filly to win the series in its current formulation and the first to win the NYTT since Sky Beauty in 1993
I care and I hope she goes for the sweep. The Alabama should be a pretty good race if all show up. Among others, I think Holy Helena is going there as well.
Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one! Baffert said after the Acorn that the Alabama was their target so she will definitely go barring any unforeseen circumstances.
And yes I think that's what they said, for Holy Helena that she would go there instead of the Prince of Wales.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
stark
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:48 am

Not sure I've ever heard a trainer say this out loud.

Proctor’s Ledge had knocked on the door, finishing second, third and fourth in her three previous starts against graded stakes company, with each of those races coming in Kentucky. Trainer Brendan Walsh opted to make a couple of changes for her first trip to New York, naming Javier Castellano to ride and putting his filly on Lasix for the first time in the Lake George.

Walsh said the addition of Lasix had nothing to do with any bleeding issue, he just felt this was the right time to make the change.

“We decided to start her out the first few runs without [Lasix], but to put her on today to give her a little more of an advantage since everyone else is running on it,” said Walsh. “You want to give yourself every chance.”


http://www.drf.com/news/proctors-ledge- ... ake-george
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Little Watermelon
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:08 pm

The track needs more tote machines under the stands at the far end near the top of the stretch. There are less than half of what they had last year, and it will create problems once more people attend, as opposed to the light crowd this weekend.

Unbelievable that the Linda Rice horse was not covered in the last leg of the pick-6 with the carryover. There were at least six horses covered. Of course, I was bust before that leg.
peeptoad
Posts: 2724
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Treve wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Treve wrote:Probably no one cares but in doing so she just captured the second leg of the NY fillies triple tiara. If she wins the Alabama she'd be the first filly to win the series in its current formulation and the first to win the NYTT since Sky Beauty in 1993
I care and I hope she goes for the sweep. The Alabama should be a pretty good race if all show up. Among others, I think Holy Helena is going there as well.
Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one! Baffert said after the Acorn that the Alabama was their target so she will definitely go barring any unforeseen circumstances.
And yes I think that's what they said, for Holy Helena that she would go there instead of the Prince of Wales.
Yep, we can both enjoy her hopefully going for some glory next month. I've been a fan of Abel Tasman since she broke her maiden last year, so I'd love for her to get the triple.
stark wrote:Not sure I've ever heard a trainer say this out loud.

Proctor’s Ledge had knocked on the door, finishing second, third and fourth in her three previous starts against graded stakes company, with each of those races coming in Kentucky. Trainer Brendan Walsh opted to make a couple of changes for her first trip to New York, naming Javier Castellano to ride and putting his filly on Lasix for the first time in the Lake George.

Walsh said the addition of Lasix had nothing to do with any bleeding issue, he just felt this was the right time to make the change.

“We decided to start her out the first few runs without [Lasix], but to put her on today to give her a little more of an advantage since everyone else is running on it,” said Walsh. “You want to give yourself every chance.”


http://www.drf.com/news/proctors-ledge- ... ake-george
Not sure I've heard that directly from a trainer before either, stark. I do think the "enhancement" that Lasix provides has been indirectly acknowledged by the industry though. Aside from everybody and their brother using it (presumably to level the field) the conditions for the Pegasus World Cup stated a weight break for horses not running on it. If that isn't an admission of sorts, then I don't know what is.
stark
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm perplexed, Lukas/Zayat hoss pays $232.50 in the opener on carryover Monday.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Yep he was 99-1 :lol: $232.50 / 45.80 / 15.80

Image
Last edited by lurkey mclurker on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CoronadosQuest
Posts: 1504
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm

His name is fitting... Perplexed LOL
Little Watermelon
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Whales must have taken the first race off.

I wonder if anyone had him in the Low Roller contest...the contest is over after the first race.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4084
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 pm

What are Lukas's stats so far at the meet? Sounds like he's off to a good start.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:16 pm

The folks on Saratoga Live just announced that defending champion A. P. Indian has just scratched out of the Vanderbilt Handicap. Reason to come...maybe?
stark
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The folks on Saratoga Live just announced that defending champion A. P. Indian has just scratched out of the Vanderbilt Handicap. Reason to come...maybe?
Swollen ankle
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm

That's not good. I hope there's not a serious reason for the swelling. :(
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Unfortunately, Saratoga Live is off the air ATM with 'technical difficulties.' Bad timing as the two headline races are still to come. :(
It's unfortunate...I've really been enjoying their coverage. IMHO NY racing has put together a nice team with Greg, Paul and Gabby on 'the desk,' Maggie providing paddock picks, and Andy and Tom doing analysis and handicapping.
They're also cheerful and friendly. A pleasant change from the loud and frequently acrimonious noise coming from TVG's set during the present shift. :roll:

ETA: Yay...Saratoga Live is back. It's much nicer being able to watch these races in hi-def on Prime Ticket. :D
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Dang...El Deal is the Real Deal. Just ran that field off their hooves.
middleground
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: IMHO NY racing has put together a nice team with Greg, Paul and Gabby on 'the desk,' Maggie providing paddock picks, and Andy and Tom doing analysis and handicapping.
They're also cheerful and friendly.
I would love to see this team cover the national network Triple Crown broadcasts in the same fashion they do for the NYRA.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Two horses euthanized after breaking down at Saratoga
Two horses suffered fatal injuries while training over Saratoga’s main track Saturday morning, while another horse suffered a non-life-threatening injury during Friday’s Curlin Stakes, leaving horsemen and racing officials searching for answers.

Howard Beach, a 2-year-old colt trained by Rick Violette, and Positive Waves, a 3-year-old gelding trained by Tony Dutrow, both suffered fractured sesamoids and fractures of the cannon bone in their right forelegs while putting in workouts Saturday morning. Both horses had to be euthanized on the track.

On Friday, Everybodyluvsrudy, who finished fifth in the Curlin Stakes, came out of the race with a condylar fracture, according to his trainer, Rudy Rodriguez. He will have to undergo surgery to have a screw inserted to repair the leg. Also on Friday, Angels Seven, a 3-year-old filly trained by Nick Zito, suffered a fatal injury during a turf race and had to be euthanized on the course.
More: http://www.drf.com/news/two-horses-euth ... n-saratoga
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:08 pm

The Saratoga card just got underway with the G3 Shuvee as the first race. Only a three horse field, which seems strange for a Spa stakes. :(
Paid Up Subscriber won by a pole over Terra Promessa and Apologynotaccepted...and I'm not really exaggerating. :shock: 31+ lengths.
Tessablue
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Officially 24.5! It looked better than it was because those other two mares were trotting in the stretch, but it was pretty neat to hear the crowd break into applause as she hit the eighth pole.
Post Reply