Diane Nelson reported dead

Diane Nelson reported dead

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:49 pm

It's being reported that former jockey Diane Nelson has died at the age of 52. She was a sensation as an apprentice in New England and had a successful career cut short by injuries in New York. This is all over Twitter and Facebook -- including the Rockingham Park nostalgia group linked to below, but I see nothing from mainstream or even horse racing media yet, so this could be fake news. I certainly hope it is.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53721622579/
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Re: Diane Nelson reported dead

Postby lurkey mclurker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Barbara Livingston & DRF posted about it on Twitter...

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening 6h 6 hours ago

Sad to hear of the passing of former jockey Diane Nelson. Died on July 5. Details not readily available. Private family service today.

Barbara Livingston‏ @DRFLivingston 4h 4 hours ago

So saddened to hear of DIANE NELSON's death, whose service was today, according to @DRFGrening . Diane was an excellent jockey and person.

lurkey mclurker

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:20 pm

:cry:
Condolences to her family and friends.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Her best win was on Acey Deucey in the Grade I Prioress, but I remember more clearly her successes on Its Acedemic in the fall and winter of 1989-90. Included in a memorable campaign at Aqueduct were victories in the Stuyvesant, Queens County and Stymie and a second in the Westchester.

She won 1,095 races, according to Equibase, about 425 of them in just two years at Rockingham and, occasionally, Suffolk, in 1987 and 1988.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Catalina » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Condolences to her family and friends.
Catalina

Postby tachyon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:18 am

That's very sad news. :cry:
I always cheered for her when she rode in New York.
She was a beautiful rider and I knew she was loved by everyone.
RIP Diane.
tachyon

Postby Rick1323 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Diane was great with the fans, especially children. I find it strange that so little was made public about her death. No obit, little info other than social media.....
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am

Rick1323 wrote:Diane was great with the fans, especially children. I find it strange that so little was made public about her death. No obit, little info other than social media.....

It's definitely strange, and we learn about it days later to boot. They said it's because she was so private, and maybe true, but it also sounds like the result of strained family relations given no one in the family stepped up to take care of these things for her. 54 was definitely too young. RIP.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:15 am

Admin wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:Diane was great with the fans, especially children. I find it strange that so little was made public about her death. No obit, little info other than social media.....

It's definitely strange, and we learn about it days later to boot. They said it's because she was so private, and maybe true, but it also sounds like the result of strained family relations given no one in the family stepped up to take care of these things for her. 54 was definitely too young. RIP.

I only know of her being married once, to a New England trainer named Robert Nelson (her maiden name was Bissett), although I seem to recall her being connected to Butch Lenzini after her divorce and permanent move to New York. She definitely was a private sort. As a very attractive woman, it would have been hard for her to maintain that privacy had she burst on the scene in the Internet Era. Think about all we've seen and read about Chantal Sutherland all these years, although I have a feeling she actively sought out at least some of that tabloid-style publicity.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Associated Press now reports that Diane was 51, not 52, not 54. Born in September 1965.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Next

Return to Racing