Diane Nelson reported dead

Re: Diane Nelson reported dead

Postby Admin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am

Come on, we in racing didn't even know her real age? I don't mind if she was private, but we knew so little that we didn't know her correct age?

Som, you'll find sexual harassment if you're looking for it, which you seem to do a lot. Do you think Diane didn't like being attractive physically? That any man or woman would rather go through life unattractive physically? She used it to her benefit. It is what it is. Not a one of us is immune to noting the physical attractiveness of others, and being attracted ourselves to people based on the same. You're trying to make a human condition into sexual harassment. It's not.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BigCountry » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Admin wrote:Som, you'll find sexual harassment if you're looking for it, which you seem to do a lot.

Gotta say, this statement leaves me absolutely speechless.
BigCountry

Postby Apollo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:19 pm

BigCountry wrote:
Admin wrote:Som, you'll find sexual harassment if you're looking for it, which you seem to do a lot.

It didn't leave me speechless at all. There is an increasingly loud and remarkably ignorant segment of society that actually believes reverse discrimination is more prevalent than actual discrimination, and so forth.

By far the most pathetic human subset is SAM, or the Simplistic Angry Male. Those guys who drive pickup trucks adorned with American flags on either side...their new loyalty is to fake news. SAM I Am and SAM I Spit. Harassment was earned, or is invented. That's the way they actually think. Beyond scary.

Anyway, regarding age it is hardly uncommon for youngsters to fudge their age upward a year or two to get a jumpstart in a business that otherwise probably wouldn't accept you. Then once you've committed to that birthdate it's more than difficult to matter of factly correct down the road.
Apollo

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 am

BigCountry wrote:

Of the many reactions I could've expected, this wasn't one of them. Why speechless?

Just like racism, now it seems some are finding sexism around every corner. This time, it's because she was noted as being attractive and also having a modeling career? I don't see that as sexism because I'm not looking for it. If you're looking to be offended, you'll easily find it.

Anyone thinking they're going to change the human condition is sorely mistaken. There will always be physical attraction. Women are no less guilty of that human condition than men.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Treve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 am

I don't think Som was implying that people noting her attractiveness was sexism or sexual harassment.
I read Som's statement as speculating about the amount of those things she probably faced in her career, in her field - based on Som's personal experience. Also sexual harassment doesn't only happen to pretty girls.

However where I agree with Som is that it is sexist when people downplay a woman's accomplishments because of her attractiveness (and it's douchey to say it about men too. To imply someone is only successful because of their looks is a total disregard to their talent, their work ethic, their determination etc.)
That's different than someone taking advantage of their looks to help further along their career, which, all the more power to them. But it's infuriating when people imply that a woman doesn't deserve to be there because they're good looking, or that they've only made it there because they're good looking.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 am

Treve wrote:I don't think Som was implying that people noting her attractiveness was sexism or sexual harassment.
I read Som's statement as speculating about the amount of those things she probably faced in her career, in her field - based on Som's personal experience. Also sexual harassment doesn't only happen to pretty girls.

However where I agree with Som is that it is sexist when people downplay a woman's accomplishments because of her attractiveness (and it's douchey to say it about men too. To imply someone is only successful because of their looks is a total disregard to their talent, their work ethic, their determination etc.)
That's different than someone taking advantage of their looks to help further along their career, which, all the more power to them. But it's infuriating when people imply that a woman doesn't deserve to be there because they're good looking, or that they've only made it there because they're good looking.

Thank you. Maybe I word things poorly.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Katewerk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am

Admin wrote:Of the many reactions I could've expected, this wasn't one of them. Why speechless?

Just like racism, now it seems some are finding sexism around every corner. This time, it's because she was noted as being attractive and also having a modeling career? I don't see that as sexism because I'm not looking for it. If you're looking to be offended, you'll easily find it.

Anyone thinking they're going to change the human condition is sorely mistaken. There will always be physical attraction. Women are no less guilty of that human condition than men.

Amen.
Katewerk

Postby stark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am

Julie Krone and Diane Nelson at Saratoga in 1992.

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby firehorse » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Was searching for some more info on her came across this page that had some nice photos, this one modeling:
https://thebacksidebeat.com/2017/07/13/ ... -ponytail/
firehorse

Postby interco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 pm

It's a shame this thread was so tainted.
interco

Previous

Return to Racing