Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Little Watermelon
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 am

Glad you had a good day and there was a big crowd, and the weather cooperated.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 pm

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... -schedule/

Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 added, bringing total dates for 2017 to eight. Purse structure slightly lower.
Rick1323
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:01 pm

What was the motivation for the mini meets? Do they need to keep the plant open to keep the hope of slots alive? I don't understand running 2 weekends head to head with Saratoga either.
Everyone come home sound.....
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Rick1323 wrote:What was the motivation for the mini meets? Do they need to keep the plant open to keep the hope of slots alive? I don't understand running 2 weekends head to head with Saratoga either.
Are the horses running at Suffolk the same market share as those running at 'Toga?
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Tessablue
Posts: 3506
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 am

The slots dream is dead; ostensibly the purpose of the current setup is to bring people to the track and celebrate its history before it closes, although I think its primary purpose is to sustain what remains of the Massachusetts thoroughbred industry until (or if) an alternative eventually arises. While the goal isn't really to make money, it was a major success in terms of entries last weekend as it probably had close to 250 horses for the two days. While a few came from Saratoga (and it was a fairly lucrative betting angle), most of them, as best I remember, came from Mountaineer and Finger Lakes.

Is it unfair to other tracks? Probably. Will it do long-term damage to them? Probably not. Is it something I worry about while I'm there? For better or for worse, nope. Just trying to enjoy it while it lasts.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 am

Tessablue wrote:The slots dream is dead; ostensibly the purpose of the current setup is to bring people to the track and celebrate its history before it closes, although I think its primary purpose is to sustain what remains of the Massachusetts thoroughbred industry until (or if) an alternative eventually arises.
I think Suffolk still has to run some live races every year to keep its simulcast license.

As for the future, the big problem is, ironically, the Massachusetts thoroughbred owners themselves. There's one group (the HBPA) that is OK with outfits from classier circuits coming in to take most of the purse money at these mini-meets because the HBPA is backing an "equestrian center" plan out near Worcester that would run a "boutique" meet with classy racing; they want Mass. owners to start thinking big, too, and upgrading their stock. The other group (the MTHA) wants old-fashioned, cheap NE racing, which suits their existing stock, and is backing a plan to build a bullring at the former Raynham dog track, which has been simulcasting only since Mass. voters decided dog racing was too cruel and banned it. Supposedly, Stronach is interested in the latter plan. It would be nice if everyone could come together on a single strategy, but that would be very un-Massachusetts.

Of course, with the continuing bad breakdown news coming out of Saratoga, both plans could be moot. The anti-racing folks are probably thinking about a question on the ballot that would declare horse racing illegal in the state.
Tessablue
Posts: 3506
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 am

I didn't know about the simulcasting aspect, but that makes sense and you definitely know more than I do. Not even really sure where the funds are coming from but at least it seemed to work last weekend.

I'm pretty behind on the news but the split between factions is evident even on the surface, and it's pretty distressing (if, as you said, in-character for the state). There was a kid handing out "equestrian center" cards to people standing around the paddock so it seems like that's the side that is getting more traction with track-goers right now, but safety and public perception is certainly a concern (despite Suffolk's excellent record in that regard)- I saw protesters at Saratoga this year, which was the first time in my thirteen years of attendance. At least it takes years and years to get anything on the ballot in this state?
Rick1323
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:What was the motivation for the mini meets? Do they need to keep the plant open to keep the hope of slots alive? I don't understand running 2 weekends head to head with Saratoga either.
Are the horses running at Suffolk the same market share as those running at 'Toga?
Of course they are. I see tons of plates from all over New England. I see this market much the same way as I do my local track, Finger Lakes. Simulcasting the product is key to success. Which makes Tuesday the big day for the smaller tracks. Also when you go head to head with Saratoga, you have to face the fact that some of everyone's bankroll will be spent on simulcasting......
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:27 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:[

I think Suffolk still has to run some live races every year to keep its simulcast license.

.
That makes perfect sense....thanks....
Everyone come home sound.....
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1017
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Rick1323 wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:[

I think Suffolk still has to run some live races every year to keep its simulcast license.

.
That makes perfect sense....thanks....
They're going about it in a better way than Hialeah at least.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:22 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
Rick1323 wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:[

I think Suffolk still has to run some live races every year to keep its simulcast license.

.
That makes perfect sense....thanks....
They're going about it in a better way than Hialeah at least.
Those phony match "races" between barely walking, aged quarter horses? There's a special corner of hell awaiting Brunetti for going that route.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4392
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:23 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote: It would be nice if everyone could come together on a single strategy, but that would be very un-Massachusetts.
This made me laugh out loud. I needed that, thanks :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4877
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Raynham Site Out, But Stronach Group Still Wants Track in Massachusetts
...Ritvo said that efforts are now underway to find a location for a new track.

“Boston is a top-five priority within our company and it might even be in the top two or three when it comes to things we want to accomplish,” said Ritvo, who began his racing career as a jockey at the New England tracks. “It is a great market and we don’t want to see the simulcast market there disappear. We believe Massachusetts has a vibrant economy and is a place where people love their sports. A racetrack run properly there would be able to survive. For us, it’s much easier to make that happen with all the synergies we have involving our other tracks.”

Ritvo said the new Massachusetts track would run a short boutique-style meet and would be built in ways that would benefit whatever town it would be located in. He said possibilities would be to build soccer fields in the infield and finding other ways to let the community utilize the facility when it was not racing.

Ritvo said The Stronach Group did not apply for any racing dates in Massachusetts for 2018, but did not rule out opening a track in 2019.

“If you ask me to bet one way or another, I would bet yes, yes that we will be operating a racetrack in Massachusetts within the next few years,” he said...
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ra ... achusetts/
Post Reply