Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby Miss Woodford » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 pm

sweettalk wrote:how many tracks are facing closure now? we're starting to lose tracks at an alarming rate.
edit; inb4 someone says "nuhuh we aren't" - but it sure seems like every track anymore is on its death bed.

Suffolk in particular has been "facing closure" for 20+ years, every season is supposedly their last. I'll believe it's the end when they start breaking ground on the condos or whatever the hell they'll gonna put there.

Treve wrote:What I don't get is how there's a shortage of horses when there are twice the amount of TBs born nowadays than 40 years ago. How were tracks getting by then, if the number of horses is all that matters? Is it that people don't want to bet on small fields anymore?
Also I wouldn't be too worried about Monmouth haven't they had near-record handles the last two years during their Haskell days?

Horses race much less often these days, especially higher-end horses. The $4000 claimers aren't having issues filling because those horses still run every couple weeks like they always have. Trainers still run those horses into the ground - just look at the Equibase leaderboard of horses by number of starts this season. But the allowance and stakes runners only start a handful of times in a year. They aren't any less sound than the cheap horses, their trainers can just afford to pick and choose where they run.
Miss Woodford

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Treve wrote:What I don't get is how there's a shortage of horses when there are twice the amount of TBs born nowadays than 40 years ago.

Foal crops in the '90s were more than twice what they are today, though.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Monmouth is getting desperate. Sounds like the death knells are looming.

That would make me sad. The downsize of racing is inevitable but it's sad anyway. Out of the tracks that I've been to it's the one my family likes the most.

Suffolk is my home track, to live evermore in my username salute to the greatest of MassCaps. Never been to Monmouth, but I've seen photos and would like to get there eventually. I also don't understand why Monmouth would do this to a track that's just running six days -- three weekends separated by a month each. It's not like there are no spots on the Monmouth schedule for all the shippers involved to run between Suffolk weekends, right? Agree with other that it just seems petty,
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby blamethewinner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm

This is the same thing that Gulfstream did last year when Tampa ran an abbreviated "meet" at the end of June to maintain status as the simulcast host for Florida. Horsemen don't run racetracks. If you want to run at a racetrack, you have to follow their rules. Monmouth is struggling horribly to fill races, both because of competition around them, and because of a poor purse structure. They cannot afford to have horses go to a place like Suffolk.

Now, the irony of it is that Monmouth officials LOVED trying to bury NYRA in 2010 during their "Elite summer meet." The shoe is indeed on the other foot now.
blamethewinner

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 am

blamethewinner wrote:This is the same thing that Gulfstream did last year when Tampa ran an abbreviated "meet" at the end of June to maintain status as the simulcast host for Florida. Horsemen don't run racetracks. If you want to run at a racetrack, you have to follow their rules. Monmouth is struggling horribly to fill races, both because of competition around them, and because of a poor purse structure. They cannot afford to have horses go to a place like Suffolk.

Two days a month for three months. Yeah, that's a killer. Surrrre.

Meanwhile, the Monmouth horsemen are free to load up the vans to help fill races at Delaware and Parx and Belmont and come home with no hassle afterward.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Still on the Farm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
blamethewinner wrote:This is the same thing that Gulfstream did last year when Tampa ran an abbreviated "meet" at the end of June to maintain status as the simulcast host for Florida. Horsemen don't run racetracks. If you want to run at a racetrack, you have to follow their rules. Monmouth is struggling horribly to fill races, both because of competition around them, and because of a poor purse structure. They cannot afford to have horses go to a place like Suffolk.

Two days a month for three months. Yeah, that's a killer. Surrrre.

Meanwhile, the Monmouth horsemen are free to load up the vans to help fill races at Delaware and Parx and Belmont and come home with no hassle afterward.

If you were to look at Monmouth's Saturday card, you'll notice that 21 horses shipped to Monmouth from other mid-Atlantic tracks or NY. Suffolk can't do that. Should Monmouth be required to shoulder the expense of providing a training center for Suffolk Downs? I agree that this is a bad situation, but after last year Suffolk and their horsemen should have gotten ahead of the curve and negotiated some sort of accomodation with Monmouth, yet they didn't.
Knowing how to read the Racing Form is not horsemanship.
Still on the Farm

Previous

Return to Racing