Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby Miss Woodford » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 pm

sweettalk wrote:how many tracks are facing closure now? we're starting to lose tracks at an alarming rate.
edit; inb4 someone says "nuhuh we aren't" - but it sure seems like every track anymore is on its death bed.

Suffolk in particular has been "facing closure" for 20+ years, every season is supposedly their last. I'll believe it's the end when they start breaking ground on the condos or whatever the hell they'll gonna put there.

Treve wrote:What I don't get is how there's a shortage of horses when there are twice the amount of TBs born nowadays than 40 years ago. How were tracks getting by then, if the number of horses is all that matters? Is it that people don't want to bet on small fields anymore?
Also I wouldn't be too worried about Monmouth haven't they had near-record handles the last two years during their Haskell days?

Horses race much less often these days, especially higher-end horses. The $4000 claimers aren't having issues filling because those horses still run every couple weeks like they always have. Trainers still run those horses into the ground - just look at the Equibase leaderboard of horses by number of starts this season. But the allowance and stakes runners only start a handful of times in a year. They aren't any less sound than the cheap horses, their trainers can just afford to pick and choose where they run.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
 
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Treve wrote:What I don't get is how there's a shortage of horses when there are twice the amount of TBs born nowadays than 40 years ago.


Foal crops in the '90s were more than twice what they are today, though.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Monmouth is getting desperate. Sounds like the death knells are looming.


That would make me sad. The downsize of racing is inevitable but it's sad anyway. Out of the tracks that I've been to it's the one my family likes the most.


Suffolk is my home track, to live evermore in my username salute to the greatest of MassCaps. Never been to Monmouth, but I've seen photos and would like to get there eventually. I also don't understand why Monmouth would do this to a track that's just running six days -- three weekends separated by a month each. It's not like there are no spots on the Monmouth schedule for all the shippers involved to run between Suffolk weekends, right? Agree with other that it just seems petty,
WaquoitNBroadBrush
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby blamethewinner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:00 pm

This is the same thing that Gulfstream did last year when Tampa ran an abbreviated "meet" at the end of June to maintain status as the simulcast host for Florida. Horsemen don't run racetracks. If you want to run at a racetrack, you have to follow their rules. Monmouth is struggling horribly to fill races, both because of competition around them, and because of a poor purse structure. They cannot afford to have horses go to a place like Suffolk.

Now, the irony of it is that Monmouth officials LOVED trying to bury NYRA in 2010 during their "Elite summer meet." The shoe is indeed on the other foot now.
blamethewinner
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 am

blamethewinner wrote:This is the same thing that Gulfstream did last year when Tampa ran an abbreviated "meet" at the end of June to maintain status as the simulcast host for Florida. Horsemen don't run racetracks. If you want to run at a racetrack, you have to follow their rules. Monmouth is struggling horribly to fill races, both because of competition around them, and because of a poor purse structure. They cannot afford to have horses go to a place like Suffolk.


Two days a month for three months. Yeah, that's a killer. Surrrre.

Meanwhile, the Monmouth horsemen are free to load up the vans to help fill races at Delaware and Parx and Belmont and come home with no hassle afterward.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby Still on the Farm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
blamethewinner wrote:This is the same thing that Gulfstream did last year when Tampa ran an abbreviated "meet" at the end of June to maintain status as the simulcast host for Florida. Horsemen don't run racetracks. If you want to run at a racetrack, you have to follow their rules. Monmouth is struggling horribly to fill races, both because of competition around them, and because of a poor purse structure. They cannot afford to have horses go to a place like Suffolk.


Two days a month for three months. Yeah, that's a killer. Surrrre.

Meanwhile, the Monmouth horsemen are free to load up the vans to help fill races at Delaware and Parx and Belmont and come home with no hassle afterward.


If you were to look at Monmouth's Saturday card, you'll notice that 21 horses shipped to Monmouth from other mid-Atlantic tracks or NY. Suffolk can't do that. Should Monmouth be required to shoulder the expense of providing a training center for Suffolk Downs? I agree that this is a bad situation, but after last year Suffolk and their horsemen should have gotten ahead of the curve and negotiated some sort of accomodation with Monmouth, yet they didn't.
Knowing how to read the Racing Form is not horsemanship.
Still on the Farm
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:46 pm

The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
As New England Thoroughbred horsemen and stakeholders continue to stare at a precarious fate in the industry, The Stronach Group is looking at possible expansion into the region.

"We think Boston is a good market and we don't want it to go away. We're in preliminary talks with George Carney, but it's very early," said Tim Ritvo, The Stronach Group's chief operating officer.

George Carney is the owner of Raynham Park, a former greyhound racetrack located in Southeastern Massachusetts, not far from the Rhode Island border. The Carney family switched the property to a simulcasting-only site after dog racing in the state was outlawed in 2010.

Family spokesman Chris Carney, George's son, was unavailable for comment June 22, but Massachusetts Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association president Bill Lagorio, who tried with the family to resurrect live Thoroughbred racing at the Carney-owned Brockton Fairgrounds in Massachusetts in 2016, confirmed the conversation with Ritvo.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/222238/the-stronach-group-considers-new-england-venture
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
As New England Thoroughbred horsemen and stakeholders continue to stare at a precarious fate in the industry, The Stronach Group is looking at possible expansion into the region.

"We think Boston is a good market and we don't want it to go away. We're in preliminary talks with George Carney, but it's very early," said Tim Ritvo, The Stronach Group's chief operating officer.

George Carney is the owner of Raynham Park, a former greyhound racetrack located in Southeastern Massachusetts, not far from the Rhode Island border. The Carney family switched the property to a simulcasting-only site after dog racing in the state was outlawed in 2010.

Family spokesman Chris Carney, George's son, was unavailable for comment June 22, but Massachusetts Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association president Bill Lagorio, who tried with the family to resurrect live Thoroughbred racing at the Carney-owned Brockton Fairgrounds in Massachusetts in 2016, confirmed the conversation with Ritvo.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/222238/the-stronach-group-considers-new-england-venture


If Frank is serious about building a racing facility that Boston fans -- and yes, Boston is one of the few fertile markets for horse racing we have left -- will want to visit often and bet at, Ritvo's going to have to start talking to people other than George Carney and Bill Lagorio. The day-to-day product offered at Suffolk Downs had become unpalatable and unbettable to many of the on-track patrons over its final decade as a full-time racetrack. Building a new venue for the bottom claimers and low-grade allowance runners, owned and trained by small-timers like Lagorio, isn't going to result in a long-term success story, even with slots on-site. With New Jersey racing foundering, a Boston-area track with ambition could easily become the new Monmouth, and win over the wallets of the Boston bettors.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 am

Is the Suffolk Downs facility in decent shape? When it is in good shape, is it an attractive, nicely-laid out plant? If racing were to be revitalized in the Boston area, is Suffolk the most logical place? Or is the location not optimal? Has the property become SO valuable for commercial development that it doesn't make good business sense to try to use that land?
Sorry...I know, too many questions, but I'm not at all familiar with the Boston area. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8009
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:54 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Is the Suffolk Downs facility in decent shape? When it is in good shape, is it an attractive, nicely-laid out plant? If racing were to be revitalized in the Boston area, is Suffolk the most logical place? Or is the location not optimal? Has the property become SO valuable for commercial development that it doesn't make good business sense to try to use that land?
Sorry...I know, too many questions, but I'm not at all familiar with the Boston area. :oops:


My maternal grandparents lived less than a mile from the track, one subway stop away, so I know the area well. The logicality and optimality (if that's a word; spellcheck is red-lining it) are indisputable. The track sits right on the subway line and the tunnel from the major highways empties right onto Rt. 1A and a track entrance. The location could hardly be better, but that's why the property is so valuable. The layout of the plant was functional in 1935 but is not for 2017. The best thing to do would be total renovation, but that wasn't going to happen without slots, and now the property belongs to a developer that has gone on record as wanting nothing to do with operating a racetrack, so the location and condition of Suffolk Downs are moot points now. There are people in what is now the former ownership group who want to preserve a portion of the old plant or perhaps build a small new building for off-track betting once the new owners decide what they want to do with the land and have all the necessary permits and contracts in place.

It is difficult for outsiders to understand the attachment people have for Suffolk Downs. The racing product has never had the greatest reputation and the track's history is replete with scandal. It's neither scenic nor in a scenic location, despite its proximity to the coast. It has been run by owners and ownership groups that have either been wealthy but crass or well-meaning but cheap or underfinanced. Concessions are basic and the people who staff the food counters and betting windows are gruff to surly, although if you have gray hair, the ladies serving the hot dogs and the cold Bud will greet you with a smiling "Whad'll ya have, sweethaht?" There's never been a well-thought-out or well-laid-out location in the whole building to watch simulcasts. Yet there are people involved with its operation, and people who go there regularly even when there's little live racing scheduled, who want it to survive and still see a sleeping giant rather than a decrepit relic when they walk through its doors. Tim Ritvo ought to know -- he was a jockey there in the '70s, when yours truly, tagging along with my grandfather, made my first bet and saw my first race there.

This is why Suffolk Downs -- or at least the Suffolk Downs concept and spirit -- refuses to die. But I am realistic enough to know in my heart that if racing is to survive, it won't be at the current location and almost certainly won't be in Boston itself. Steve Wynn's impending full-service casino in nearby Everett assures that. And with two horsemen's groups with incompatible visions, not to mention Massachusetts' frustrating and often logic-defying politics, it's hard to see the Stronach Group's interest leading anywhere.

Here is reality: Massachusetts has twelve days of thoroughbred racing remaining, spread over the next two summers. A seamless transition to a new track in a new location is improbable given current conditions. Once Suffolk is physically gone and no racing is scheduled anywhere in or near the city, it will be all the more difficult to maintain interest in the sport and the dream will finally die.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests