Always Dreaming

User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm

It came to my attention that the winner of the 143rd, 2017 Kentucky Derby does not have his own thread yet :o
I have thus, decided to rectify the situation.
Image
(He who wears the roses, should always have a thread - ancient proverb of the TBC 'pretty pony picspam' brigade)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Mr was a handful this morning. (His exercise rider is Nick Bush)
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Image
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
luvsgeldings
Posts: 822
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:22 pm

wowie this handsome boy looks like he is feeling really good - wishing him all the best in the Preakness!!
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:wowie this handsome boy looks like he is feeling really good - wishing him all the best in the Preakness!!
I agree! Certainly a good sign to see him back to his energetic self!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Della
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 am
Location: Plymouth Meeting, near Philly, PA
Contact:

Mon May 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks, Treve, for starting this thread for AD - totally deserved.

Does anyone have a link for his gallop this morning? Nick Bush has his hands full in the strongest sense!
Tessablue
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Della wrote:Thanks, Treve, for starting this thread for AD - totally deserved.

Does anyone have a link for his gallop this morning? Nick Bush has his hands full in the strongest sense!
You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXsuN44OXDk

That channel does a really good job of putting up gallop and interview videos quickly every day. You can watch all of his mornings from the past week- he looks to be getting stronger every day.

And yes, I fully concur that this horse deserves his own thread! He ran such a good race in the Derby, and I really think he might be something very special.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Della wrote:Thanks, Treve, for starting this thread for AD - totally deserved.

Does anyone have a link for his gallop this morning? Nick Bush has his hands full in the strongest sense!
You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXsuN44OXDk

That channel does a really good job of putting up gallop and interview videos quickly every day. You can watch all of his mornings from the past week- he looks to be getting stronger every day.

And yes, I fully concur that this horse deserves his own thread! He ran such a good race in the Derby, and I really think he might be something very special.
Thanks for the link Tb!

I agree, I think he's genuinely talented, and I hope that Baffert is right in thinking him and CE will be battling it out moving forward. Would be wonderful to see a great rivalry and would be good for the sport. I am crossing my fingers and hoping they both remain safe and sound and that they will race on as older males. It seems to me their shared sire line producers horses that only get better with age.

Certainly looks like he'll make it to Saturday in tip top shape :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Big Ten
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Mon May 15, 2017 5:47 pm

With Royal Mo out, it looks easier for Always Dreaming with the pace only dealing with Conquest Mo Money. He should win the Preakness at odds-on and gives Todd Pletcher & John Velazquez their very first taste at trying to win the Triple Crown.

He isn't a freak like American Pharoah, so his chances of winning the Belmont is not as high. He is probably only on par with I'll Have Another and a shade below Smarty Jones and Big Brown who were undefeated when they won the first two legs.

Obviously, people want to support the Derby winner and want to see a horse sweep the TC. I will support him hard to win the Preakness like all the others who will pound him hard at the windows. Then take my chances against him when emotions come into play next June.

With 80% during the last 10 runnings is either the favorite or second favorite that won, you really can't go wrong with either Always Dreaming or Classic Empire winning the Preakness.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Rick1323
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm

I don't agree that this is not a potential TC winner. He is still so lightly raced, he can literally turn out to be any kind of horse. He could run up the t rack and never be heard of again after a mysterious injury. But it is more likely he could improve off the Derby effort. I expect he will do exactly that..........
Everyone come home sound.....
Kay16
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 pm

He calmed down the 2nd time around but the first round was a little too "spirited".
User avatar
honneerider
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm
Contact:

Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 pm

I am a Classic Empire fan and I thought it was in jest, (similar to those I still enjoy by Lani-) a mention was made that 4th place finishers van to Pimlico instead of being flown
From Twitter:

Always Dreaming‏
@DreamingColt 12h12 hours ago
More
A minor owner of AD @MBO315 was annoyed about a tweet about Classic Empire vanning to Preakness. It was a playful tweet. (1 of 2)
5 replies 1 retweet 7 likes
Always Dreaming‏ @DreamingColt 12h12 hours ago
More
We have spoken to person paying to promote the sport and engage fans through this account and we decided not to tweet any longer. (2 of 2)
Tessablue
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Rick1323 wrote:I don't agree that this is not a potential TC winner. He is still so lightly raced, he can literally turn out to be any kind of horse. He could run up the t rack and never be heard of again after a mysterious injury. But it is more likely he could improve off the Derby effort. I expect he will do exactly that..........
Agreed. He could be absolutely any kind, and he finishes remarkably well for a horse with such a high cruising speed. The Preakness is likely to be the more difficult of the next two- you really couldn't craft a better Belmont horse.
Matt Converse
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 pm
Location: San Francisco

Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 pm

I'd say he looks pretty good for the Preakness too considering the running style of his only competition in the Derby.
User avatar
Big Ten
Posts: 664
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Tue May 16, 2017 1:23 am

In fairness, Nyquist didn't have much of a thread either last year. It barely had any pages prior to the Ky Derby and he was undefeated until the Preakness. Of course, the pages didn't last long after his Derby win. Part of it was the American Pharoah hangover and rekindling the flame with California Chrome.

I still feel 40/40 between Always Dreaming vs Classic Empire with the other 20% going to an alternative. If my confidence level is nearly the same, I would usually go for the horse with higher odds. AD seems to be the likelier winner while CE seems to be a smarter bet on top.

Then again, Classic Empire is so last year. He hasn't run a great fig since the BCJ. Easy Goer did lose to Sunday Silence in the Preakness and BC Classic. Street Sense did lose to Curlin in both races too. Sports is all about the now over the past. Arrogate over California Chrome (twice), remember?

I just texted my Mom who gambles occasionally but knows nothing of horse racing and asked what name she preferred? She texted back Always Dreaming. She was born the Year of the Rabbit and is very lucky sometimes. I guess Mama knows best. Always Dreaming has already beat Gunnevera twice and Irish War Cry once who Classic Empire finished behind both before.

We may not get our 13th Triple Crown winner next month, but it will be a fun three weeks of anticipation after this Saturday if AD wins. Let's keep the Triple Crown Dreaming alive...
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 am

Big Ten wrote:In fairness, Nyquist didn't have much of a thread either last year. It barely had any pages prior to the Ky Derby and he was undefeated until the Preakness. Of course, the pages didn't last long after his Derby win. Part of it was the American Pharoah hangover and rekindling the flame with California Chrome.
I think people on this board were just not very high on Nyquist, even though he was undefeated, the reaction to him was lukewarm. Maybe it was the Triple Crown hangover, maybe it was the general feeling that the crop wasn't very good overall, at least of those who ran in the TC races (none of the TC race winners competed in the Breeders Cup Classic and all of them were retired).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
perfectsoul
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 am
Location: Denver

Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 am

honneerider wrote:I am a Classic Empire fan and I thought it was in jest, (similar to those I still enjoy by Lani-) a mention was made that 4th place finishers van to Pimlico instead of being flown
From Twitter:

Always Dreaming‏
@DreamingColt 12h12 hours ago
More
A minor owner of AD @MBO315 was annoyed about a tweet about Classic Empire vanning to Preakness. It was a playful tweet.
I thought the Classic Empire owner who got their panties in a bunch over this came off like a dolt.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4044
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 am

perfectsoul wrote:
honneerider wrote:I am a Classic Empire fan and I thought it was in jest, (similar to those I still enjoy by Lani-) a mention was made that 4th place finishers van to Pimlico instead of being flown
From Twitter:

Always Dreaming‏
@DreamingColt 12h12 hours ago
More
A minor owner of AD @MBO315 was annoyed about a tweet about Classic Empire vanning to Preakness. It was a playful tweet.
I thought the Classic Empire owner who got their panties in a bunch over this came off like a dolt.
It wasn't the Classic Empire owner, he's fully owned by the Oxleys. It was one of the owners in the Always Dreaming partnership. It says so right here, @MBO315 = Matthew O'Connor, if you click on their handle their twitter is covered in AD stuff.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
Tessablue
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 am

It's easy to forget given how his career quickly derailed, but Nyquist had a lot of Triple Crown hype after his Derby. He wasn't super popular because people don't like O'Neill/Reddam, but he was a bigger favorite than American Pharoah in the Preakness and a lot of people thought he would go all the way.

Always Dreaming, for whatever reason, has to my eye received only a fraction of that respect. If I have to read one more analysis that criticizes his come-home time while saying he had a "perfect trip," I'm going to lose my mind. Doubting the trainer going into this second race is fair game, but that Derby was a tremendous effort.
Spahny
Posts: 968
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Tue May 16, 2017 10:13 am

Nyquist was the 2yo champion and he shipped to Gulfstream for his final Derby prep to beat the horse thought to be the beast in the east with ease. He earned his reputation. Always Dreaming was very inexperienced with only 1 graded stakes appearance. There is little to compare between the two coming into the Derby. I thought Classic Empire was disrespected more. He is still is.

I had Always Dreaming as the best horse in the Derby. I was particularly impressed by his final workout and thought he would run a big race. He ran a very good race but I don't think any of the numbers indicate he is unbeatable in the Preakness. I'm not so sure Classic Empire isn't at least as good.

I'm not a hardcore fan of either horse. Sometimes that a good thing.
Post Reply