Page 1 of 25

Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:49 pm
by ElPrado2
In case everybody is too wound down to notice, Churchill won the 2000 Guineas.

Confirmed in the Thoroughbred Daily News.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:50 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
I watched the race, (yes, it was a looonng day of racing for me) and Churchill held on with a very brave effort. The Guineas is run on Newmarket's straight mile and there's a rise in the ground in the last furlong or so. It's quite a stamina test, even if it's 'just' a mile. ;)
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -churchill

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:03 pm
by MySaladDays
Also across the pond, i guess you guys heard that Rapper Dragon, probably the best horse in Hong Kong, suffered a fatal injury. He was their Triple Crown winner.

I posted about it in the gelding topic where there was already rapper dragon posts.

No disappointment in the KY Derby could make me as sad as I am from hearing this. :(

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:58 pm
by Retrospectiv
ElPrado2 wrote:In case everybody is too wound down to notice, Churchill won the 2000 Guineas.

Confirmed in the Thoroughbred Daily News.
Yes, and today Winter won the 1000 Guineas.

Another Classic double weekend for Galileo. Gotta be hard for bookmakers to make any money in the Classics over there, just bet the Coolmore Galileo in every race. Slim odds of being wrong...

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:15 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Winter is a bit unusual for a Galileo; she's grey.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nd-guineas

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:07 am
by Northport
MySaladDays wrote:Also across the pond, i guess you guys heard that Rapper Dragon, probably the best horse in Hong Kong, suffered a fatal injury. He was their Triple Crown winner.

I posted about it in the gelding topic where there was already rapper dragon posts.

No disappointment in the KY Derby could make me as sad as I am from hearing this. :(
Losing Rapper Dragon is heartbreaking, he really looked like he could be the next Hong Kong superstar. He hadn't won an international G1 yet but he had swept plenty of the best local races. Really too bad.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 am
by ThreeMustangs
Coolmore and Galileo were 0-fer in both the French Guineas this weekend. None of O'Brien's horses even finished in the top three.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:44 pm
by ElPrado2
If one of the parents is grey, you have a 50 percent
chance of getting a grey, unless that is a double dose. Then it's 100 percent.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:04 pm
by Treve
ElPrado2 wrote:If one of the parents is grey, you have a 50 percent
chance of getting a grey, unless that is a double dose. Then it's 100 percent.
Not quite that much.
If one of the parents is a heterozygous grey (ie if they only have one copy of the grey gene) it's 25%
If both parents are heterozygous grey that's 50%
If one of the parents is a homozygous grey that's 100%

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:50 pm
by Starine
Quite chuffed that Brametot won the French 2,000 Guineas, giving handsome sire Rajsaman a classic winner in his first crop. Always love to see the Linamix line continue to do well, even if his grandson isn't a grey. ;) Hooray for the little horse with "a bonny face and a big heart."

Rouget relief as Brametot pulls out the stops for Classic strike
https://www.racingpost.com/news/dettori ... tot/285536

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:49 pm
by Starine
I'm hearing a lot of good things about the regally-bred debut winner Dubai Thunder, with quite a few giving him a strong chance of landing the Epsom Derby next month.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
What is Dubai Thunder's pedigree?
Thank you in advance. 8-)

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 pm
by WaquoitNBroadBrush
Dubawi (Ire) out of Gonbarda (Ger), by Lando (Ger).

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 pm
by Starine
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:What is Dubai Thunder's pedigree?
Thank you in advance. 8-)
As you know, Dubawi needs no introduction. The dam, Gonbarda, won two of Germany's biggest races, the Preis von Europa and Deutschland Preis.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 pm
by Northport
He is also half to Lockinge and Champion Stakes winner Farhh.

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:28 pm
by ThreeMustangs
The Coolmore juggernaut continues: Churchill and Winter completed their respective English-Irish Guineas doubles this weekend. O'Brien trained the first three home in the Irish 1000 Guineas. The winner of the Tattersalls Gold Cup (G1), Decorated Knight, is by Galileo (although not owned by Coolmore).

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:03 am
by Starine
Ward fine-tuning Royal Ascot contingent - & it's a doozy
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36988

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:22 am
by ThreeMustangs
The flight with O'Brien's horses from Ireland was delayed and his lorry didn't arrive at Epsom until a little over an hour ago. Talk about cutting it close...

ETA: Made no difference for Highland Reel, who won the Coronation Cup (G1).

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 am
by BaroqueAgain1
Well that's not good...Daddys Lil Darling has bolted down the course and dumped her rider. She has been caught, but I don't think she's a runner.
Yes, she's scratched. What a shame. After all the prep and shipping across The Pond, to have her withdrawn at the gate. :(

Re: Across the pond

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 am
by ThreeMustangs
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Well that's not good...Daddys Lil Darling has bolted down the course and dumped her rider. She has been caught, but I don't think she's a runner.
Yes, she's scratched. What a shame. After all the prep and shipping across The Pond, to have her withdrawn at the gate. :(
Maybe she was smart enough to know she wanted no part of Epsom. The thunder and lightning probably didn't help, either.