Across the pond

Re: Across the pond

Postby ThreeMustangs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am

A John Gosden trainee for Juddmonte has won the Oaks, with O'Brien horses in 2nd and 3rd:

1st Enable 6/1
2nd Rhododendron 8/11 favourite
3rd Alluringly 16/1
ThreeMustangs

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Enable is by Nathaniel, a classy colt who had the bad luck of being born the same year as Frankel. :P
However, I think he's beaten Frankel to the wire in being the first of the two Galileo sons to sire an English Classic winner.

ETA: Highland Reel is one of the fastest, toughest, most consistent horses I've had he pleasure of watching. Talk about a horse who doesn't need to take his track with him.
Nice run by the Kitten's Joy colt, Hawkbill, who made a race of it with HR until the very last, and finished a respectable third. Pretty good, considering his connections almost didn't run him because they felt the ground wouldn't suit him.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Update from Kenny McPeek on Daddys Lil Darling:
Letting everyone know that Daddys Lil Darling is fine. Peslier got along fine with her a week ago. I should've gotten her a pony. I'm sorry
I wonder if a pony would have kept her together, since it was a 'bolt of lightning,' along with 'pouring rain,' that made her bolt. Those conditions are a big ask for almost any young filly.
I see that the winner, Enable, is by a grandson of Sadler's Wells, out of a mare by Sadler's Wells. That's a lot of Sadler's Wells. Although the dam, Concentric, is a stakes-winning full sister to the dam of Flintshire. Can't argue with the quality in that pedigree.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... ior-start/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Northport » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:44 am

An excellent run from Highland Reel considering the Coolmore plane from Ireland to England was delayed, causing the horses to sit on the tarmac for 4 hours yesterday, giving Highland Reel just over an hour between getting off the van and being loaded into the starting gate.

Also, people complaining that Olivier Peslier shouldnt have bailed on DLD. Being on a horse that has bolted is scary enough, but a 3 year old Thoroughbred, in the pouring rain with one foot in the stirrup and one hand on the buckle of the reins, with the starting gate directly ahead of you and no outriders in sight?? Tuck and roll!!
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby ThreeMustangs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:33 am

Sunny and warm at Epsom today--and the O'Brien horses arrived with no drama this time.
ThreeMustangs

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:47 am

A small shocker, as the other, other, other, other, other O'Brien horse runs down O'Brien's more-favored Cliffs of Moher. :lol:
I've tried to look up Wings of Eagles' pedigree on Bloodhorse, but all it really tells me is that the colt is a French-bred. Maybe not a Galileo?
Very nice run by Cliffs of Moher, since the British commentators were dissing his chances because he was sweating like he just came out of a soapy car wash.
ETA: I should have used RacingPost for my research first. Wings of Eagles is by Pour Moi (IRE) out of the Kendor (FR) mare, Ysoldina (FR). Would this be Pour Moi's first classic winner?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby ThreeMustangs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:A small shocker, as the other, other, other, other, other O'Brien horse runs down O'Brien's more-favored Cliffs of Moher. :lol:
I've tried to look up Wings of Eagles' pedigree on Bloodhorse, but all it really tells me is that the colt is a French-bred. Maybe not a Galileo?
Very nice run by Cliffs of Moher, since the British commentators were dissing his chances because he was sweating like he just came out of a soapy car wash.
ETA: I should have used RacingPost for my research first. Wings of Eagles is by Pour Moi (IRE) out of the Kendor (FR) mare, Ysoldina (FR). Would this be Pour Moi's first classic winner?

I think he's the first G1 winner for Pour Moi, let alone classic winner. He's now a National Hunt stallion.

You gotta like a jockey named Paddy Beggy. First ride in the Derby and he wins on a 40-1 shot.

I thought the Frankels ran okay, finishing 3rd and 4th.
ThreeMustangs

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:31 pm

I wonder if 'Eagles' victory in this classic will inspire breeders to try Pour Moi for flat racers? The colt had a tremendous kick in those last yards.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Apollo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:09 pm

European turf racing is thousands of times more interesting than the cramped garbage American version.

It's also real world gambling, since they show different pricing for each horse depending where you shop. The sport has no chance to grow, or even remain at current level, in the United States if the powers that be continue to insist on parimutuel only. I noted during the Preakness coverage when Belinda Stronach was asked about the possible venue switch she eventually veered the conversation and said they were looking into adding different types of wagering.
Apollo

Postby tachyon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:36 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:A small shocker, as the other, other, other, other, other O'Brien horse runs down O'Brien's more-favored Cliffs of Moher. :lol:

I think he's the first G1 winner for Pour Moi, let alone classic winner. He's now a National Hunt stallion.

You gotta like a jockey named Paddy Beggy. First ride in the Derby and he wins on a 40-1 shot.

I thought the Frankels ran okay, finishing 3rd and 4th.

Wings of Eagles' win has to be wonderful news for the Montjeu sire-line. :D
tachyon

PreviousNext

Return to Racing