Santa Anita Cancels

Re: Santa Anita Cancels

Postby stark » Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 pm

If I was Stronach/Ritvo I'd spend my money on some lobbyists and send them to Sacramento first, then horse racing can figure out a way to survive.
But that's a critically vital first step for California horse racing imo.

Partner up with Cochise, Geronimo and a few family members may be the only way!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Santa Anita officials have announced there will be no racing Thursday 6/8 because of a lack of entries. Live racing resumes Friday
stark

Postby Dusty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Who is the racing secretary that they cannot card races to get entries??? Come on
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Catalina » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Then again, yesterday's (Saturday!) G1Beholder Mile Stakes in which Stellar Wind beat Vale Dori had a field of 3...
Catalina

Postby stark » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Dusty wrote:Who is the racing secretary that they cannot card races to get entries??? Come on

Catalina wrote:Then again, yesterday's (Saturday!) G1Beholder Mile Stakes in which Stellar Wind beat Vale Dori had a field of 3...

Exactly, the horsemen have a big role in this, but the racing secretary can make some improvements too.
In the olde days you had guys like Barry Abrams who made a regular practice of picking up checks in races he couldn't win, the Beholder would've netted his owners about $24,000!

Stronach's main man Ritvo is on the scene now and ready to make some changes. He hates that horses are getting claimed and shipped out of state, not sure how he can prevent that but he's going to try. Also, with DelMar on the horizon, their ship-in bonus money will be advertised a lot, $1500 just to start in a race and added purse money for your first start, expect to see SA do some of this too.

BUT and that's a big BUT......the barns are full, the overflow horses are down at SanLuisRey, and the horsemen aren't entering their horses, apparently happy with collecting day money from their owners while looking for the perfect spot to run, geesh!
stark

Postby Catalina » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:31 am

stark wrote:
Dusty wrote:Who is the racing secretary that they cannot card races to get entries??? Come on

Catalina wrote:Then again, yesterday's (Saturday!) G1Beholder Mile Stakes in which Stellar Wind beat Vale Dori had a field of 3...

Exactly, the horsemen have a big role in this, but the racing secretary can make some improvements too.
In the olde days you had guys like Barry Abrams who made a regular practice of picking up checks in races he couldn't win, the Beholder would've netted his owners about $24,000!

Stronach's main man Ritvo is on the scene now and ready to make some changes. He hates that horses are getting claimed and shipped out of state, not sure how he can prevent that but he's going to try. Also, with DelMar on the horizon, their ship-in bonus money will be advertised a lot, $1500 just to start in a race and added purse money for your first start, expect to see SA do some of this too.

BUT and that's a big BUT......the barns are full, the overflow horses are down at SanLuisRey, and the horsemen aren't entering their horses, apparently happy with collecting day money from their owners while looking for the perfect spot to run, geesh!

Don't they have some kind of rules that horses stabled at the track must run a certain minimum number of races to keep their stable space?
Catalina

Postby stark » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Tim Ritvo Explains Santa Anita Cancellation and future plans. The entire interview as seen on @TVG

https://youtu.be/L6VGZ-qlY48
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Tim Ritvo tackles his biggest challenge yet: Revitalizing racing at Santa Anita

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-santa-anita-ritvo-20170605-story,amp.html
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:18 pm

So, the current theory from management is to cancel Thursday racing and improve the quality of racing Fri-Sat-Sun.
They'll add a couple of races each day which means a net loss of only a couple of races with 6 horses plus the hot dog revenues from closing Thursdays.

If this is any example of what they mean.....then count me in!

Santa Anita field sizes for 10 races on Friday: 9, 10, 9, 14, 8, 9, 11, 11, 9, 14
stark

Postby Rick1323 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:35 am

Fewer racing days may help. But I think they lost the novelty of SA when HP closed for good. It is easy to say, I will go tomorrow, or next week, because it is always there. On top of that So Cal horses are fast, and speed plays anywhere, which is why they will continue to get claimers raided for placement elsewhere.....
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323

PreviousNext

Return to Racing