L.A. Times not covering horse racing?

L.A. Times not covering horse racing?

Postby shortlead » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Lately I have noticed that the Times has not had racing results, etc., or even posted anything on the daily On The Air part that lists what's on the radio and TV that day...when did this start? And does anyone here on the forums know why?

I did see a letter in the Sports section that asked the same thing but since I don't normally spend much time reading the sports section, I did not see if anyone replied to him.

Did I miss something? Is it a contract matter? They are not even listing the racing elsewhere in the country and, of course, I know there is racing. What is going on? Thanks in advance for any answers...
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
shortlead

Re: L.A. Times not covering horse racing?

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:49 pm

The LA Times stopped showing the race results/entries for Santa Anita about three weeks ago. At first I thought it was because of the whole college basketball craziness, and every inch of space was needed for that coverage.
Unfortunately, it seems to be permanent. The paper still publishes an occasional article on the big races, mostly by reporter John Cherwa, but that little entry/result box and the TV schedule appear to be gone.
I need to call/write and complain. Maybe if more of us (and not just Mel Brooks, bless his horseplayer heart) do, the editors will decide there's enough interest in racing to put that info back in?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Dusty » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:57 pm

I have contacted them.. hope others do too!
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby Catalina » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Good luck. My paper dropped regular racing coverage a long time ago. There's usually an article whenever there are special upcoming events (Derby etc) and then an article on the results, but that is it.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:09 pm

There's been another unsettling development with the TV coverage in the LA area lately. We usually have TVG's signal carried by the hi-def Prime Ticket (a Fox sports station) during the afternoon. It had racing on for a couple of hours during the week, and often even more during the weekend.
However, for at least the last week, there has been NO racing coverage. Not even last Saturday with the Arkansas Derby and the Lexington. :(
If that change is permanent, IMHO it signals an even worse development than the loss of the newspaper coverage.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby ElPrado2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:25 pm

I finally found some coverage on the lesser NBC cable feeds.
However, my newspaper gives me an ad for Tampa Bay Downs but not a clue more.
Last edited by ElPrado2 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElPrado2

Postby MySaladDays » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 pm

If Hot Springs ever stopped covering the races at OP, it would mean the town fell into a sinkhole or something. :lol:

Big "racing town" mentality there for the meets. Thank god.
MySaladDays

Postby MySaladDays » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:There's been another unsettling development with the TV coverage in the LA area lately. We usually have TVG's signal carried by the hi-def Prime Ticket (a Fox sports station) during the afternoon. It had racing on for a couple of hours during the week, and often even more during the weekend.
However, for at least the last week, there has been NO racing coverage. Not even last Saturday with the Arkansas Derby and the Lexington. :(
If that change is permanent, IMHO it signals an even worse development than the loss of the newspaper coverage.

That is not a good sign. And right before the KY Derby? Definely horse racing fans need to speak out.

I really miss HRTV. I literally got my Direct TV disconnected because of TVG (I can't stand the clownish type personalities), hoping to switch it out to Dish (which carried HRTV) and then HRTV got "absorbed".

Aside: I never did re-connect my TV though, and haven't missed it one bit. 8+ years in cabin in woods, 15 mile drive one way to a small town.......people thought surely I would miss it.

Nope!

I stay in a lot of hotels though. My family asks me if I watch TV then. Funny, i'm so out of the habit I rarely turn it on unless there are noisy neighbors or something at the hotel.
MySaladDays

Postby stark » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:46 pm

While the LATimes coverage over the years may have appealed to the casual fan, I find it hard to believe that anybody in today's world depended on it for their daily dose of horse intel.

And lets face it, since the Herald Examiner folded in '89, race coverage in LA has been minimal at best.

Please don't tell me that anybody is really going to miss Bill Christine's semi-annual front page coverage where he writes an article on behalf of PETA and tells of something tragic happening to the game, usually unrelated to either Derby week or Breeders Cup.

What's a daily paper cost these days, a buck or so, there's got to be a better reason to buy it than seeing the entries/results in 8pt font.

RIP.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Apollo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:14 pm

stark wrote:And lets face it, since the Herald Examiner folded in '89, race coverage in LA has been minimal at best.

No kidding. Once the Times got rid of Bob Mieszerski I'm surprised it took this long to demote to next to nothing.

The major afternoon papers like Herald Examiner, and Miami News on the opposite coast, always devoted more articles and column inches to racing and anything with a betting connection. Plus the sports radio talk show guys in that era had grown up with horse racing and could communicate competently on the subject. Now it's specialized scarcity.
Apollo

Next

Return to Racing