Breeders' Cup News & Notes - 2017

Post Reply
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 am

Romantic Vision Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Distaff Run

G. Watts Humphrey Jr.'s homebred Romantic Vision will start in the Nov. 3 Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1) at Del Mar, trainer Rusty Arnold said Oct. 11.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... istaff-run
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 am

Lady Eli Works Toward Filly & Mare Turf

Divine Park mare breezed five furlongs in company at Belmont Park.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -mare-turf

----------
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... s-classic/

Arrogate ‘Ready,’ Gun Runner ‘Dialed In’ During Monday Works For Classic
Old Bones
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Arrogate had a really nice gallop out this work.
stark
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:35 am

Hmmmm.......

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

Many locally based trainers I spoke with this morning -- Baffert, Sadler, Hollendorfer -- said they will not have BC works at DMR. All at SA
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:07 pm

stark wrote:Hmmmm.......

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

Many locally based trainers I spoke with this morning -- Baffert, Sadler, Hollendorfer -- said they will not have BC works at DMR. All at SA
???
Catalina
Posts: 3156
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm

stark wrote:Hmmmm.......

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman

Many locally based trainers I spoke with this morning -- Baffert, Sadler, Hollendorfer -- said they will not have BC works at DMR. All at SA
I've only been able to dredge up bits and pieces that might be connected, but also haven't had an awful lot of time so far this weekend. What came to mind and I was partially able to dredge up was:

The new Del Mar surface was supposed to be just like Santa Anita - and there's been some sentiment that as of a few weeks/months ago that wasn't so. Maybe with time it might settle, hopefully in time for BC. {If so, it doesn't sound like it did.]

Del Mar's new surface is very tiring. [Deep comes to mind, but I haven't been able to confirm where that comment came from.]

"Arrogate hates it."

If you heard anything further (or contrary), would you please add it, Stark. Hopefully the Privman tweet will generate some info on the subject.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9576
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Beyond questions about that Del Mar surface, I suspect that the trainers are also trying to keep their horses as happy and healthy as possible. Keeping them home in their own stalls and working over their 'home' track probably helps do that. Shipping them early to Del Mar for the sake of a workout on the surface also means more nights in unfamiliar stalls and surroundings. :shock: And more chances that you have a fretful, unhappy animal, slowly losing weight.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Beyond questions about that Del Mar surface, I suspect that the trainers are also trying to keep their horses as happy and healthy as possible. Keeping them home in their own stalls and working over their 'home' track probably helps do that. Shipping them early to Del Mar for the sake of a workout on the surface also means more nights in unfamiliar stalls and surroundings. :shock: And more chances that you have a fretful, unhappy animal, slowly losing weight.
It's my understanding they can't work on Del Mar track until a week before the races. Shipping them last minute and expecting them to get used to their new surroundings on such a short schedule can be stressful as well.
katmandu
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 pm

And Santa Anita is a lot deeper/tiring now than it has been traditionally. Baffert magic?
stark
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:55 pm

This morning's SoCal radio show, starting at the 3 minute mark, Jay Privman discusses it a little more.

http://www.thoroughbredla.com/archives/TBLA20171021.mp3

I think handicappers prefer to see a work over the track, but some trainers have proven success at shipping in "right on top" of a race.

And the Monday morning critics will have plenty to say either way ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:45 pm

El Deal will skip the BC... I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Navarro was fined today for yet another cocaine positive.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Tessablue wrote:El Deal will skip the BC... I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Navarro was fined today for yet another cocaine positive.
I love how Navarro is getting all the shit on this (and he does deserve it) but the husband of the media darling isn't.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:El Deal will skip the BC... I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Navarro was fined today for yet another cocaine positive.
I love how Navarro is getting all the shit on this (and he does deserve it) but the husband of the media darling isn't.
Yeah I have zero love for Sharp after what he did to Girvin, and he should face criticism as well, but the Navarro situation is just descending into parody at this point. What does he need to do to face real consequences at this point? Win the Derby then admit to using legal drugs on his Derby winner?
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Tessablue wrote: Yeah I have zero love for Sharp after what he did to Girvin, and he should face criticism as well, but the Navarro situation is just descending into parody at this point. What does he need to do to face real consequences at this point? Win the Derby then admit to using legal drugs on his Derby winner?

Unless you're dumb enough to openly bitch out authorities (hey, Dutrow!) you're screwed.

This game is hard to stick around sometimes.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 am

HOT but beautiful at both SoCal tracks this morning.

http://www.xbtv.com/watch-live/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Baffert said that Faithfully will not be pre-entered today in @BreedersCup Distaff. Said he was not satisfied with her workout last Friday.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Simon Callaghan‏ @simon_callaghan

We have decided not to pre-enter Run Away for the BC Juvenile. We will keep to 1 turn for now and consider the 7f G3 Bob Hope
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
agrussel
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:34 am

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Friday:
Juvenile Turf @ 5:25 EDT
Dirt Mile @ 6:05 EDT
Juvenile Fillies Turf @ 6:50 EDT
Distaff @ 7:35 EDT

Saturday:
Juvenile Fillies @ 3:00 EDT
Turf Sprint @ 3:37 EDT
F&M Sprint @ 4:14 EDT
F&M Turf @ 5:00 EDT
Juvenile @ 5:37 EDT
Mile @ 6:19 EDT
Sprint @ 6:58 EDT
Turf @ 7:37 EDT
Classic @ 8:35 EDT
stark
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:03 pm

agrussel wrote:Friday:
Juvenile Turf @ 5:25 EDT
Dirt Mile @ 6:05 EDT
Juvenile Fillies Turf @ 6:50 EDT
Distaff @ 7:35 EDT

Saturday:
Juvenile Fillies @ 3:00 EDT
Turf Sprint @ 3:37 EDT
F&M Sprint @ 4:14 EDT
F&M Turf @ 5:00 EDT
Juvenile @ 5:37 EDT
Mile @ 6:19 EDT
Sprint @ 6:58 EDT
Turf @ 7:37 EDT
Classic @ 8:35 EDT
Considering it's a west coast venue, curious why the times can't be posted as PDT?

Somebody once told me that it's because New Yorkers can't do the math ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply