Arkansas Derby

Re: Arkansas Derby

Postby Kennedy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 pm

A lot of horses who like losing in this race and the "winners" have knocks or doubts. Classic Empire likely should win, he's the best horse but his 3yo campaign has been downright weird up to this point. I think I'd rather watch him than back him at 8/5. Malagacy hasn't done anything wrong but I think the stretchout could hurt him plus the pace is going to be hot and his post is terrible for what he wants to accomplish in here.

Among the bevy of solid second rate closers I find it interesting that two are adding blinkers, one would assume in an attempt to break the pattern of what they've been up to. Untrapped gets blinkers and Mike Smith. Pretty interesting additions, the other horse is Silver Dust. Not as good as many of the other plodders but I really think they're looking to get him away from the gate more cleanly and into the mix a bit earlier on. Not sure what to do here.

I think probably Classic Empire ends up winning but I would want to use Silver Dust and Untrapped in some way. Perhaps not enough for the win though.
Kennedy

Postby Matt Converse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:22 pm

12-Malagacy--the one to beat.
7-Sonneteer--looked very improved last out, could be dangerous at 15-1.
1-Rockin Rudy--could be any kind comes off turf runner-ups won debut on dirt all sprints, distance looms large.
11-Conquest Mo Money--improved, could surprise at 15-1.
9-Untrapped--maybe a piece.
6-Looking at Lee--maybe closes for 3rd or 4th.
4-Petrov--always seems to get passed late.
2-Classic Empire--I see him tiring to 6th or 7th, so run to the windows with both fists!
Matt Converse

Postby peeptoad » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 am

Conquest Mo Money
Classic Empire
Silver Dust
peeptoad

Postby Tessablue » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm not really a Classic Empire believer, but I'd like to see him run well here to add some interest to the Derby. That being said, I won't bet that he will at those odds. Like a few others in here I rather like Conquest Mo Money- the Sunland Derby was pretty good, I think, and though the pace looks hot in here I think he has the ability to lay back a decent amount. I think Malagacy is a fast classy horse who wants no part of longer distances, but I expect him to try to stick around late here. Untrapped burned me last out and I'm not terribly willing to forgive him here, I didn't like Sonneteer's last race as much as other's did and I'm not sure how to appraise the rest of the field beyond them. The intrigue here is Classic Empire and a possible affirmation of the Sunland Derby form.
Tessablue

Postby Matt Converse » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:09 am

$10 ex box 1-7-11 ($60)

$1 tri box 1-6-7-11-12 ($60)

$2 super 2,12 w 2,12 w 7,9,11 w 7,9,11 ($24)

$1 super 7,11 w 12 w 2 w 6,9 ($4)

$1 super 1-12-2-9, 7-12-9-6 (2)
Matt Converse

Postby Tessablue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:34 pm

I had a good amount of money on Conquest Mo Money to win along with him and Malagacy in an exacta, Classic Empire just ruined my life lol. I have no idea how he re-rallied like that and will have to watch the race again, he looked done turning into the stretch. Gained a lot of respect for him today.

Also, watch out for Hence in the Derby. Conquest Mo Money is good.
Tessablue

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Good win by Classic Empire, who didn't have an immaculate trip. I was also pleased by the way Sonneteer made up ground from far back, but I think he only got up for 4th. Not sure if he earned enough points to make the Derby gate.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Treve » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Classic Empire had every excuse not to get there and he still managed. Loved how he was beginning to pull away at the end. Down the stretch it's kinda like he suddenly remembered what he was supposed to do. I screamed so loud my downstairs neighbour just called to ask if I was okay :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby barbaro111 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Treve wrote:Classic Empire had every excuse not to get there and he still managed. Loved how he was beginning to pull away at the end. Down the stretch it's kinda like he suddenly remembered what he was supposed to do. I screamed so loud my downstairs neighbour just called to ask if I was okay :lol:

That is hilarious--I was screaming too!!!
barbaro111

Postby sweettalk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:38 pm

Treve wrote:Classic Empire had every excuse not to get there and he still managed. Loved how he was beginning to pull away at the end. Down the stretch it's kinda like he suddenly remembered what he was supposed to do. I screamed so loud my downstairs neighbour just called to ask if I was okay :lol:

pft i'm PMing you to make sure you're ok and i can't even hear you :P

but he had a real derbyesque race and he did it. i'm very optimistic.
We are tracking your eye movement as you read this signature so we can find out which letters are your favorite. Interesting.
sweettalk

PreviousNext

Return to Racing