Arkansas Derby

Re: Arkansas Derby

Postby peeptoad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:29 am

Conquest Mo Money is an interesting horse. Have the connections said whether or not they will nominate him? They missed the deadline so now have to fork over 200K. I can understand if they chose to wait for PIM or some other spot, esp. given he is still short on points.
Looking like the points cutoff will be higher than in past years.
peeptoad

Postby Treve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 am

MySaladDays wrote:ARK derby looks like an interesting race.

Didn't know Rockin Rudy was joining. That's an interesting one. I was suprised to see this one, don't even know anything about him cuz I don't follow Calif racing. Turf horse that trainer has been putting tons of long dirt workouts into. Too much too late maybe. Or, does Oneil have another horse shipping in for other OP races that day?

anyway,

Locals don't usually win this race. The 2 locals who did were closers (Arch arch arch and Creator). Maybe that bodes well for Lookin at Lee.....finally. :)

But shippers usually win, in 10 years, pletcher 2x, , baffert 2x (seems like more but it isn't, he's sent 47 horses to OP and all but 4 of them were in stakes) but Asmussen has also won 2x. (Pletcher won 2x more but before 10 years ago.)

Pace is usually fast, pressers and stalkers close to pace do best here.

It's my local track. But still kinda "quirky" Will be raining most of the week here..... but Sat looks clear so far! Going early so not sure I will be online again to check in before the race. GL to everyone. I have a lot of jockey stats but no time to enumerate them.

I just noticed that Malagacy has more going against him than you can shake a stick at, for the KY Derby. He wins welll at 5.5F, 6.5F and 1-1/16th, so I'm curious to see how he does at 9F. He's got Apollo Curse, a DI of 6.20 ( I asked myself, is this a reincarnation of Jackson Bend???),, no Storm Cat has ever won the Derby, and then.......the dreaded Pletcher -factor in KY Derby.

BTW, Dont' get me wrong I love love love Jackson Bend, I mean, sTanley gold kep him racing til age 7, for the pleasure of racing fans, which is unheard of today, that was one of my favorite barns.......he ran a lot of stakes and did great, was JUST the kind of little racehorse I would love to own.....but races were at quite a bit shorter than derby. He ran 12th in the Derby).

I was joking to my brother, betting on Malagacy in the Derby is almost like..........a dare. :lol: :lol: I may have to just put some $$ on him in May

Interesting stats! With that in mind I think I feel increasingly better about Classic Empire's chances. If you happen to get the chance to snap a pic or two I wouldn't mind you sharing either ;)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Tessablue » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am

An interesting factor: One Liner needs points here. Pletcher could have shipped him west or had him face either Tapwrit or Battalion Runner (who also needed points, so that would never happen), but he chose to keep him in Oaklawn and run him against Malagacy. They each won a local prep so it does make sense to keep them at Oaklawn, but I wonder if this also indicates that Pletcher believed Tapwrit would be a more dangerous foe than Malagacy. I'ts also a little odd that he's giving his two least-experienced candidates the shortest rest leading up to the Derby, but that will merit more consideration after the race has been run.

Conquest Mo Money is definitely interesting, and I'd love to get the chance to evaluate the Sunland Derby field better.
Tessablue

Postby Treve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 am

Tessablue wrote:An interesting factor: One Liner needs points here. Pletcher could have shipped him west or had him face either Tapwrit or Battalion Runner (who also needed points, so that would never happen), but he chose to keep him in Oaklawn and run him against Malagacy. They each won a local prep so it does make sense to keep them at Oaklawn, but I wonder if this also indicates that Pletcher believed Tapwrit would be a more dangerous foe than Malagacy. I'ts also a little odd that he's giving his two least-experienced candidates the shortest rest leading up to the Derby, but that will merit more consideration after the race has been run.

Conquest Mo Money is definitely interesting, and I'd love to get the chance to evaluate the Sunland Derby field better.

It is a pretty interesting race points-wise I think Malagacy and Untrapped are the only ones in the field right now who are in the "top 20" leaderboard for Derby points. And since Untrapped is sitting at #20 while Malagacy is at #12, that means Malagacy is the only one that can afford to finish off the board, and provided he has an excuse, to perform poorly. And as it is now, only Untrapped and Classic Empire can afford to finish as low on the board as 3rd. Most of them will need to finish in the Exacta, and a few can only get on that last train to Louisville with a win. I think that will probably factor into the dynamic of the race and how much their riders ask of them.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby peeptoad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Treve wrote:It is a pretty interesting race points-wise I think Malagacy and Untrapped are the only ones in the field right now who are in the "top 20" leaderboard for Derby points. And since Untrapped is sitting at #20 while Malagacy is at #12, that means Malagacy is the only one that can afford to finish off the board, and provided he has an excuse, to perform poorly. And as it is now, only Untrapped and Classic Empire can afford to finish as low on the board as 3rd. Most of them will need to finish in the Exacta, and a few can only get on that last train to Louisville with a win. I think that will probably factor into the dynamic of the race and how much their riders ask of them.

This is an interesting point. If Classic Empire finishes worse than 3rd in the ARK Derby he will likely not have enough points to make the Derby field without a defection or two.
peeptoad

Postby stark » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Misc news....

Byron King‏ @DRFByronKing 58m58 minutes ago
Mike Smith to ride Louisiana Derby winner Girvin in the #KyDerby, Joe Sharp just told DRF

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening 2h2 hours ago
Kentucky Derby news: One Liner off trail; Battalion Runner still very much possible to run http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36100
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Treve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:12 pm

stark wrote:Misc news....

Byron King‏ @DRFByronKing 58m58 minutes ago
Mike Smith to ride Louisiana Derby winner Girvin in the #KyDerby, Joe Sharp just told DRF

David Grening‏ @DRFGrening 2h2 hours ago
Kentucky Derby news: One Liner off trail; Battalion Runner still very much possible to run http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36100

I wonder if One Liner still runs here then?
And good for Girvin, he could certainly do worse :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby Tessablue » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 pm

One Liner is out indefinitely after a subpar work this morning. Which is very unfortunate, given that he appears to have loads of talent. Credit to WinStar for backing off him; this isn't the first time they've done it but last time they had a viable alternative (and he ended up winning the race).
Tessablue

Postby blamethewinner » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Tessablue wrote:One Liner is out indefinitely after a subpar work this morning. Which is very unfortunate, given that he appears to have loads of talent. Credit to WinStar for backing off him; this isn't the first time they've done it but last time they had a viable alternative (and he ended up winning the race).

Todd strikes!
blamethewinner

Postby Treve » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... kin-at-lee

Lookin At Lee, a deep closer, was beaten only 3 3/4 lengths in the Rebel, which is the final major local prep for the Arkansas Derby. His last five starts have been at 1 1/16 miles, but his connections believe he will benefit from the 1 1/8-mile Arkansas Derby distance.

"I think we're feeling pretty good," said Levinson, who named Lookin At Lee. "We're glad the races are finally starting to stretch out for us. Obviously you watch the races and he just needs more ground.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nted-horse

Mike Langford has campaigned two millionaires, but it's a horse with $256,800 in earnings under the care of Hall of Fame trainer Steve Asmussen that the Jonesboro, Ark., owner calls his most talented runner to date.

"At this stage, absolutely," Langford said of lightly raced Untrapped. "He's the total package. Like Steve was saying, he's so smart. You can literally shoot a cannon beside him and he'd look at the cannon and say, 'Why did you do that?' He doesn't get rattled. The other horses just didn't have the talent this colt has."
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

PreviousNext

Return to Racing