Arkansas Derby

Re: Arkansas Derby

Postby Tessablue » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Classic Empire showed what you want to see from a Derby horse- took a lot of dirt and didn't wilt from adversity. I do wonder if it was too tough of a race three weeks out and he's had effectively only one prep, so he's going to be a nightmare to evaluate for the Derby itself, but he was really good today.

I'm still seriously impressed by Conquest Mo Money though. Had to run very fast early to get position from that outside post and held on in the stretch while the other pace wilted and the race inverted. I don't think he's a potential Derby winner, but he should add another dose of classy early pace and he helps set a useful frame of reference for the Sunland Derby. Hasn't been mentioned much, but Irap was in that race too.

And ha, I was thinking of you Treve! Congrats, your guy did good :D
Tessablue

Postby Treve » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Conquest Mo Money definitely ran his eyeballs out I had discounted him because of the outside post but he really did well to overtake Malagacy like that.

Thanks Tb, trust me when I say I've tried to talk myself off him since the beginning of 2017 and just haven't been able to. Certainly isn't dull following this colt, he's a master of suspense :lol: never lost faith in him, but that's horses for you they either make you look brilliant or foolish or obvious ;) I could have easily been the one eating crow today.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Kay16 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:12 pm

This crop isn't that good but considering Classic Empires path to this point and his less than favorable trip...he shouldn't have won that. But a few of us kept the faith for a reason, he's talented. If he only needed one good race to have him ready, he got it here. But I question if one good race will be enough.
Kay16

Postby tcw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 am

94 BSF for Classic Empire.
tcw

Postby Diver52 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:57 am

tcw wrote:94 BSF for Classic Empire.

I miss Mastery. :(
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Treve » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Diver52 wrote:

The figures seem a little suspect. Whitmore got a 100 even though he was a hair off the track record for the distance apparently?
Oaklawn is a pretty slow track and it was pretty damn humid yesterday even if the dirt was rated fast.
Didn't see the BSF for the Oaklawn Handicap, but he was half a second off the older males at the same distance. Bris figures for the OH and AD were 99 and 96 respectively.

Found this on twitter:
Classic Empire-1:48.9, 12.2, 37.4, 24.9;
Conquest Mo Money-1:49.0, 12.6, 37.9, 25.2;
Lookin At Lee-1:49.2, 12.0, 37.0, 24.7
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Apollo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:53 pm

I should have pulled the trigger on Classic Empire over Malagacy in the matchup. Didn't do it although several of my friends did.

Classic case of taking the established class over the lesser now horse. That collects more often than not.

Regardless, I was thrilled Classic Empire rallied to win, even though it looked like a Ronnie Franklin trip. Adds plenty of interest and intrigue to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands.
Apollo

Postby tcw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Diver52 wrote:

Dittos!
tcw

Postby MySaladDays » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm

I am so conflicted about Classic Empire.
MySaladDays

Previous

Return to Racing