Florida Derby

Re: Florida Derby

Postby tcw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:38 pm

I wouldn't get too excited about One Liner or Battalion Runner. Pletcher is passing WAY too many races with seemingly "healthy" horses.

So what's new?
tcw

Postby peeptoad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:48 am

Even though he's not being pointed to the Derby I like Three Rules a bit here. Gunnevera is clearly the horse to beat and he may very well win. His price will be low and the post draw is a detriment. He also doesn't need to win this, but just produce a good closing run to head to KY as one of the top contenders for the Roses. If Three Rules can reign it in a bit early, but still make the lead from the outside I think he's got a good chance to wire them. There is other speed in here, but he ran a much faster early pace in the FOY than most of the other speed types in here ever have. The one exception is the rail horse. I do also kind of like State of Honor a little though I think he may wilt late. Might just box those 3.
peeptoad

Postby PJMIII » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:24 am

Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby

Peacock Racing Stables' Gunnevera has often found the odds against him.

As a foal, the big chestnut was orphaned 10 days after birth. As a yearling, he sold at the 2015 Keeneland September yearling sale for a mere $16,000. At first asking and in his second start, he tangled with precocious rival Three Rules, who went on to dominate the Florida Sire Series as part of five straight wins. And for two of his three graded stakes scores—the 2016 Saratoga Special (G2) and this year's Xpressbet Fountain of Youth (G2)—he was sent off as the third choice, not the post time favorite.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rida-derby
PJMIII

Postby MySaladDays » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:36 am

impressive edge, gunnevera, and State of Honor for me. I haven't looked at PPs yet though :lol:
MySaladDays

Postby Tessablue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Crap draw for Gunnevera but he wants to drop back anyways. Love the horse and he's my Derby pick pretty much no matter what happens tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to expect from him- don't think he'll get a ton of pace here and he's in the Derby anyways, so I doubt he's cranked. Still a hard-trier who should make a run under all circumstances.

Not much else in this field but I wouldn't be surprised if Always Dreaming picked up a lot of money and ends up near-favored. I guess he could get a decent trip if Three Rules doesn't break, but that last race was too slow and bizarre for me to evaluate.
Tessablue

Postby middleground » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 pm

Gunnevera is the class on paper with no one else close, IMO. I'm not impressed with anyone else in the field, but for value, I'm looking at Impressive Edge on the assumption that he just might be improving.
middleground

Postby Matt Converse » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:33 am

11--Gunnevera--I don't see anyone beating him here.
9--Battalion Runner--Looks like the only possible threat.
Maybe a minor award: 4--Always Dreaming 1--State of Honor
Matt Converse

Postby Raven » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 am

Gunnevera and State of Honor
The rest, nowhere!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
Raven

Postby stark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27 am

Rumor Control.........Gunnevera might scratch?????
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Raven » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:06 am

stark wrote:Rumor Control.........Gunnevera might scratch?????

Reason why?
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
Raven

PreviousNext

Return to Racing