Florida Derby

Florida Derby

Postby Squeaky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Who is pointing to this race? Battalion Runner...
Squeaky

Re: Florida Derby

Postby victory » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:45 am

My list of probable/possibles:
Always Dreaming?
Batallion Runner
Capt. Grider
El Areeb?
Gunnevera
Irish War Cry
Mo Town?
One Liner?
Three Rules
victory

Postby Starine » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Per his connections: El Areeb is most likely for the Wood Memorial; with the Bluegrass Stakes being the backup plan.
Starine

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm

As I suspected and posted, the 4 week gap between Fountain of Youth and Florida Derby will include vastly altered weather. We've actually had a nice March by recent standards but it's supposed to climb to 88 degrees on Saturday.

But at least right now the wind that impacted the Fountain of Youth day will be absent. Current estimates are 12 mph.
Apollo

Postby firehorse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 pm

$1 million Xpressbet Florida Derby (G1), 1 1/8 miles, dirt
Post, Horse, Trainer, Jockey, Odds

1. State of Honor, Mark Casse, Julien Leparoux, 8-1
2. Talk Logistics, Eddie Plesa Jr., Joe Bravo, 30-1
3. Charlie the Greek, Mikhail Yanakov, Leonel Reyes, 50-1
4. Always Dreaming, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez, 4-1
5. Quinentos, Enrique A. Sanchez, Carlos Montalvo, 50-1
6. Coleman Rocky, Gustavo Delgado, Jose Ortiz, 30-1
7. Unbridled Holiday, Patrick Biancone, Nik Juarez, 30-1
8. Impressive Edge, Dale Romans, Corey Lanerie, 12-1
9. Battalion Runner, Todd Pletcher, John Velazquez, 3-1
10. Three Rules, Jose Pinchin, Luis Saez, 8-1
11. Gunnevera, Antonio Sano, Javier Castellano, 9-5
firehorse

Postby Kennedy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Word was that Battalion Runner was going to the SA Derby. Perhaps he still is with johhny V being named on two pletchers. With the post towards the outside as well I'm not sure there is a strong reason for him to stay in this field.
Kennedy

Postby blamethewinner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Kennedy wrote:Word was that Battalion Runner was going to the SA Derby. Perhaps he still is with johhny V being named on two pletchers. With the post towards the outside as well I'm not sure there is a strong reason for him to stay in this field.

He's entered as insurance should Always Dreaming have any issues that keep him from running. He's going to either the Wood or Ark Derby.

I wouldn't get too excited about One Liner or Battalion Runner. Pletcher is passing WAY too many races with seemingly "healthy" horses.
blamethewinner

Postby Kennedy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 pm

blamethewinner wrote:
Kennedy wrote:Word was that Battalion Runner was going to the SA Derby. Perhaps he still is with johhny V being named on two pletchers. With the post towards the outside as well I'm not sure there is a strong reason for him to stay in this field.

He's entered as insurance should Always Dreaming have any issues that keep him from running. He's going to either the Wood or Ark Derby.

I wouldn't get too excited about One Liner or Battalion Runner. Pletcher is passing WAY too many races with seemingly "healthy" horses.

I am surprised that One Liner has made it back out since the Southwest. For me I think he's one I'd likely try to oppose in his next prep while still retaining the hope that he could be a decent Derby horse.

Battalion Runner I'd back in his next prep but I'm less high on his chances as a Derby runner. Pletcher is pretty good in prep races but has often done better in the Derby with horses that have struggled more in preps.
Kennedy

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:22 pm

We've actually had a nice March by recent standards but it's supposed to climb to 88 degrees on Saturday.

Caton Bredar said that it's going to be in the 90's at Gulfstream for the Florida Derby. I would be hesitant to use any horse shipping in who hadn't acclimated to the muggy Florida heat.
From Bloodhorse:
While 11 entered the 1 1/8-mile test, Florida's final prep for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1), only 10 are expected to run. Always Dreaming and Battalion Runner both passed the entry box for trainer Todd Pletcher, who is only expected to start Always Dreaming.
Read more; http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rida-derby
BaroqueAgain1

Postby firehorse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:We've actually had a nice March by recent standards but it's supposed to climb to 88 degrees on Saturday.

Caton Bredar said that it's going to be in the 90's at Gulfstream for the Florida Derby. I would be hesitant to use any horse shipping in who hadn't acclimated to the muggy Florida heat.
From Bloodhorse:
While 11 entered the 1 1/8-mile test, Florida's final prep for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1), only 10 are expected to run. Always Dreaming and Battalion Runner both passed the entry box for trainer Todd Pletcher, who is only expected to start Always Dreaming.
Read more; http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rida-derby

I would have agreed in the past but then I saw what Arrogate and Nyquist did and think maybe it's not such a disadvantage to a late shipper with talent - the race doesn't go off til 6:40 so it will probably be quite nice by then.
firehorse

Next

Return to Racing