Harness Racing - 2017

Harness Racing - 2017

Postby PJMIII » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:27 am

Pocono: 2017 meet starts on Saturday

The Standardbred trotters and pacers will begin their 52nd season of pari-mutuel harness racing in northeast Pennsylvania this Saturday night, March 18, as The Downs at Mohegan Sun Pocono will present the first of 135 cards of harness racing scheduled for 2017, with Saturday’s first race marked for 6:30 p.m.

http://www.drf.com/news/pocono-2017-mee ... s-saturday

----------
PJMIII

Re: Harness Racing - 2017

Postby PJMIII » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 am

The Meadows: Dave Palone picks up career win 18,000

Dave Palone, already harness racing’s all-time “winningest” driver, continues to go where no reinsman has gone before, as he collected career victory 18,000 Wednesday at The Meadows. The landmark win came with Outburst in the 11th race.

http://www.drf.com/news/meadows-dave-pa ... -win-18000
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 am

Hambo winner Market Share gelded, expected to return

Market Share will be away from the races for a while, but the award-winning 8-year-old trotter is expected to return to action later this season for what might be a farewell tour.

http://www.drf.com/news/harness-hambo-w ... ted-return
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am

Meadowlands: Hambletonian eliminations drawn; stakes card takes shape

Saturday, August 5 is Hambletonian Day, the Greatest Day in Harness Racing with the marquee event featured on a stakes laden card with total purses in excess of $3.5 million.

http://www.drf.com/news/meadowlands-ham ... akes-shape
PJMIII

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:28 pm

This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.
I see that TVG also has a slot from 2-3 PM Pacific labeled as Hambletonian coverage. If the racing network is showing the Hambo, I hope that they will also be showing all the good undercard races. CBSSN's slot doesn't have enough time for them.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miss Woodford » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.
I see that TVG also has a slot from 2-3 PM Pacific labeled as Hambletonian coverage. If the racing network is showing the Hambo, I hope that they will also be showing all the good undercard races. CBSSN's slot doesn't have enough time for them.

Yeah, NBC stopped showing it a couple years ago. You'd think NBCSN would've picked it up at least but I guess even fewer people watch harness racing than TBs.
Miss Woodford

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:12 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.

Yeah, NBC stopped showing it a couple years ago. You'd think NBCSN would've picked it up at least but I guess even fewer people watch harness racing than TBs.

The Hambo was on NBC only because harness racing used to have lots of fans in the populous NYC area, which is also the nation's media and advertising hub. Now that most of those fans have either passed on or moved to Florida (where the sport hangs on at Pompano Park), it's off the network's radar. Truth be told, harness has never had the national reach that TB has always had. It exists in parts of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, the Midwest, two tracks in the South (Red Mile and Pompano), and the literal outlier, Sacramento, which pretty much has the entire nation west of the Mississippi to itself. If quarter horse racing were limited to those areas and harness racing were limited to the states where quarter horses are popular, you'd have seen QH racing on NBC, not harness.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Miss Woodford » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:04 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:

The Hambo was on NBC only because harness racing used to have lots of fans in the populous NYC area, which is also the nation's media and advertising hub. Now that most of those fans have either passed on or moved to Florida (where the sport hangs on at Pompano Park), it's off the network's radar. Truth be told, harness has never had the national reach that TB has always had. It exists in parts of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, the Midwest, two tracks in the South (Red Mile and Pompano), and the literal outlier, Sacramento, which pretty much has the entire nation west of the Mississippi to itself. If quarter horse racing were limited to those areas and harness racing were limited to the states where quarter horses are popular, you'd have seen QH racing on NBC, not harness.

NBC did broadcast the All-American Futurity in the 60s/70s before it was moved to ESPN.
Miss Woodford

Postby PJMIII » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 am

Meadowlands: Perfect Spirit placed first in Hambletonian after What The Hill is disqualified

For the first time in the rich history of the Hambletonian, the final winner was disqualified and the runner-up, on this occasion Perfect Spirit, became the winner of the sport's biggest prize on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.drf.com/news/meadowlands-per ... squalified
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:13 am

Giwner: Plenty of life for Walner beyond the Hambletonian

The news of Walner’s withdrawal from the Hambletonian sent shockwaves throughout the industry. The one shining star in the current crop of 3-year-old trotting colts missed the most important race of the year.

http://www.drf.com/news/giwner-plenty-l ... mbletonian
PJMIII

Next

Return to Racing