Santa Anita Derby April 8th

Re: Santa Anita Derby April 8th

Postby Diver52 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

stark wrote:San Vicente Stakes winner Iliad and Cecil B. DeMille winner Term of Art, second and third behind runaway winner Mastery in Saturday’s Grade II San Felipe Stakes, are bound for the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby on April 8, trainer Doug O’Neill’s assistant Leandro Mora said Sunday morning.

“Both horses looked good this morning and the Santa Anita Derby is what we’re looking at,” Mora said.

I'm glad they looked good this morning because they sure didn't look very good Saturday.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby stark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Diver52 wrote:
I'm glad they looked good this morning because they sure didn't look very good Saturday.

:lol:
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Kennedy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm surprised that the connections watched the San Felipe and thought that Illiad was a stayer. He came home in 13.6 which is pretty much slower than any of the Derby contenders have run in any route race while still hitting the frame. Unless he's facing only Term of Art, Irap and Gormley he's going to struggle with added distance.
Kennedy

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Just speculation, but maybe Mr. Shah is so anxious to have his move to different trainers work out that he's not exactly seeing clearly? ;) :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Pletcher likes the fact it's G1 status plus the fact Mastery is out, might be a good spot to ship ONE LINER or somebody else?
stark

Postby stark » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Headed by a quartet from the Doug O’Neill barn, as many as 13 three-year-olds are candidates for the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby at 1 1/8 miles on April 8.

Among the “Baker’s Dozen” is Battalion Runner, a $700,000 son of Unbridled’s Song trained by Todd Pletcher for the St. Elias Stable. The gray colt was second in his debut at Belmont Park last June 3, but was a runaway maiden allowance winner by nearly nine lengths over seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park Dec. 31, then wired six rivals going 1 1/16 miles at the Florida track, reaching the finish 1 ¼ lengths in front as the favorite at 20 cents on the dollar.

O’Neill, who won the Santa Anita Derby with I’ll Have Another in 2012 and Goldencents in 2103, plans to enter four in the West Coast’s major steppingstone to the Kentucky Derby on May 6: Iliad (Flavien Prat); Milton Freewater (Tiago Pereira); So Conflated (Mario Gutierrez); and Term of Art (Tyler Baze).

Others possible for the 80th edition of the Santa Anita Derby include American Anthem, Battle of Midway, Gormley, Reach the World, Kimbear, Sorry Erik, Sonneteer and Midnight Pleasure.

http://www.santaanita.com/stable-notes/ ... NlEPm_yvIV
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:20 pm

On DRF:
Battalion Runner to be re-routed from SA Derby; Wood and Ark Derby now in play, per Pletcher
Battalion Runner will not compete in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby on April 8, and his options now include the Grade ...
The rest is behind the paywall: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/35853

Is this change because Pletcher thinks the Santa Anita Derby is coming up too strong? Or does the colt need another work to convince Todd that the UBS colt is ready for any prep? :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Squeaky » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:09 am

I really like BR but wonder what is going on with him.. soundness issues? Fitness issues? Pletcher keeps changing his mind about his races. Never wrong to go slow with these UBS's as we've seen with Arrogate. If he can't make triple crown I am fine with waiting until the summer of fall for him to race again. Just wish I knew what was really hapening with him. I really liked his last work.
Squeaky

Postby stark » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 am

Bob Baffert will have three chances to win his eighth Santa Anita Derby on April 8. Baffert said Thursday he plans to start American Anthem, Reach the World and West Coast.

American Anthem misfired March 18 in the Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park, but will get another shot in the Santa Anita Derby “as long as everything goes well,” Baffert said.

Reach the World finished second in a first-level allowance on March 9 at Santa Anita; West Coast won a maiden race March 12 at Santa Anita.

American Anthem finished second in the Grade 3 Sham Stakes on Jan. 7, and then reportedly did not care for the Oaklawn surface when tenth in the Rebel. American Anthem worked a half-mile in :46.80 on Tuesday.

Reach the World worked five furlongs Thursday morning at Santa Anita, targeting a workmate and rolling away late in :59.80.

West Coast will add blinkers for the Santa Anita Derby. He wore blinkers in his runner-up debut, which earned a 91 Beyer. He took blinkers off for his next start, won the maiden race, but earned a mere 82. Baffert said he liked the colt's first race, with blinkers, more than the race without blinkers.

Riding assignments for the Baffert trio are to be determined. Martin Garcia rode West Coast both starts; Mike Smith rode Reach the World all three starts, and American Anthem in his last two.

A large field is expected for the Santa Anita Derby. The list of probable starters includes Iliad, Gormley, American Anthem, Battle of Midway, Reach the World, Kimbear, Term of Art, Milton Freeweater, So Conflated and West Coast.
stark

Postby MySaladDays » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 am

Curious to see how Kimbear and So Conflated do in this one.
MySaladDays

PreviousNext

Return to Racing