Santa Anita Derby April 8th

Re: Santa Anita Derby April 8th

Postby Diver52 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

stark wrote:San Vicente Stakes winner Iliad and Cecil B. DeMille winner Term of Art, second and third behind runaway winner Mastery in Saturday’s Grade II San Felipe Stakes, are bound for the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby on April 8, trainer Doug O’Neill’s assistant Leandro Mora said Sunday morning.

“Both horses looked good this morning and the Santa Anita Derby is what we’re looking at,” Mora said.

I'm glad they looked good this morning because they sure didn't look very good Saturday.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby stark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Diver52 wrote:
I'm glad they looked good this morning because they sure didn't look very good Saturday.

:lol:
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Kennedy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm surprised that the connections watched the San Felipe and thought that Illiad was a stayer. He came home in 13.6 which is pretty much slower than any of the Derby contenders have run in any route race while still hitting the frame. Unless he's facing only Term of Art, Irap and Gormley he's going to struggle with added distance.
Kennedy

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Just speculation, but maybe Mr. Shah is so anxious to have his move to different trainers work out that he's not exactly seeing clearly? ;) :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Pletcher likes the fact it's G1 status plus the fact Mastery is out, might be a good spot to ship ONE LINER or somebody else?
stark

Postby stark » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Headed by a quartet from the Doug O’Neill barn, as many as 13 three-year-olds are candidates for the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby at 1 1/8 miles on April 8.

Among the “Baker’s Dozen” is Battalion Runner, a $700,000 son of Unbridled’s Song trained by Todd Pletcher for the St. Elias Stable. The gray colt was second in his debut at Belmont Park last June 3, but was a runaway maiden allowance winner by nearly nine lengths over seven furlongs at Gulfstream Park Dec. 31, then wired six rivals going 1 1/16 miles at the Florida track, reaching the finish 1 ¼ lengths in front as the favorite at 20 cents on the dollar.

O’Neill, who won the Santa Anita Derby with I’ll Have Another in 2012 and Goldencents in 2103, plans to enter four in the West Coast’s major steppingstone to the Kentucky Derby on May 6: Iliad (Flavien Prat); Milton Freewater (Tiago Pereira); So Conflated (Mario Gutierrez); and Term of Art (Tyler Baze).

Others possible for the 80th edition of the Santa Anita Derby include American Anthem, Battle of Midway, Gormley, Reach the World, Kimbear, Sorry Erik, Sonneteer and Midnight Pleasure.

http://www.santaanita.com/stable-notes/ ... NlEPm_yvIV
stark

Previous

Return to Racing