Hall Of Fame Nominations

Re: Hall Of Fame Nominations

Postby stark » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:19 pm

blamethewinner wrote:
stark wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Racing has to have the easiest HOF to get into. It's very silly.

Kent Desormeaux is very appreciative of the rules, 14 years now a member :lol:

Do you not think Desormeaux is deserving of the Hall of Fame?

Actually I believe that Kent belongs in the People's Hall Of Fame just for surviving. What Kent went through with son Jake, a failed marriage, bouts with alcohol etc, I wouldn't wish that life on anybody no matter the financial rewards along the way.

That said, I think Kent is lucky to have been voted in based on the first half of his career, rather than waiting til it's all over. Sure, he set all kinds of records starting with leading apprentice and improving from there, his mounts read like a who's who in racing.

BUT, I can't think of one jockey in America, especially a member of the HOF, who receives more bad press for his rides than Kent does. Every single year, sometimes twice or more per year, the horsey forums light up with their disgust because Kent didn't salvage a third place showing costing them a trifecta. Big players got to the point of not being able to trust him to ride out his mounts. Casual fans didn't know if he was cheating or not.

Typically, HOF jockeys never get this kind of bad press, deserved or not. Refresh my memory please if there's somebody else out there who has more negatives thrown his way in a post-race analysis.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:29 pm

I was thinking of Ramon when I wrote that, didn't realize they'd made an exception for him. I think baseball did the same for Kirby Puckett, who only had nine years in the majors when he lost sight in one eye, ending his playing career.

Twenty years in the saddle sure doesn't seem like such a long time when many riders start at 16 or 17, becoming HOF-eligible in their mid-30s.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:32 pm

stark wrote:Typically, HOF jockeys never get this kind of bad press, deserved or not. Refresh my memory please if there's somebody else out there who has more negatives thrown his way in a post-race analysis.

Eddie Maple got criticism all the time for perceived reluctance to go inside or through tight holes. "Eight-wide Eddie," they used to call him. Of course, he wasn't an HOF member as an active rider as Kent is now.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby stark » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Ray Paulick casts a vote for Garrett Gomez.

If Garrett Gomez had cancer, he'd already be in the Hall of Fame.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s ... hall-fame/
stark

Postby Izvestia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Absolutely think Gomez is deserving of the win. He was poetry in motion, and like Paulick said, had incredible strength in battling his disease.
Besides, isn't the HOF about their contribution to the industry? He was one of, if not, THE best.
Izvestia

Postby Catalina » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Gomez more than deserves getting in.
Catalina

Postby Miss Woodford » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

The Steeplechase Review Committee has inducted racehorse Good Night Shirt and trainer Tom Voss into the Hall of Fame.
http://thisishorseracing.com/news/index ... ll-of-fame
Flat racing fans may recognize Tom Voss as the trainer of John's Call. John's Call served as Voss's stable pony for several years after retirement from the races.
Miss Woodford

Postby Little Watermelon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:The Steeplechase Review Committee has inducted racehorse Good Night Shirt and trainer Tom Voss into the Hall of Fame.
Flat racing fans may recognize Tom Voss as the trainer of John's Call. John's Call served as Voss's stable pony for several years after retirement from the races.

Also Dreadnaught, who ran some good races at Saratoga years ago.
Little Watermelon

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:The Steeplechase Review Committee has inducted racehorse Good Night Shirt and trainer Tom Voss into the Hall of Fame.

Love the slideshows linked in the article. Both Tom and John's Call died too soon.
Image 15 of 33 Waiting out a storm with his beloved stable pony and Grade 1 winner, John's Call.

Congratulations to Good Night Shirt.
Joe Clancy‏@joeclancy65
New Hall of Famer Good Night Shirt, looking excited. Photo by trainer Jack Fisher.
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am

stark wrote:The top four vote getters get in...

Robbie Albarado,
Javier Castellano,
Victor Espinoza,
Garrett Gomez,
Craig Perret.

Mark Casse,
John Shirreffs,
David Whiteley

Gio Ponti,
Goldikova,
Kona Gold

Three-time Breeders’ Cup Mile winner Goldikova, multiple Eclipse Award-winning jockeys Javier Castellano and the late Garrett Gomez and Triple Crown-winning jockey Victor Espinoza have been elected to the National Museum of Racing’s Hall of Fame in the contemporary category.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing