Hall Of Fame Nominations

Re: Hall Of Fame Nominations

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm

TBH, except for the horses, I found this an underwhelming ballot. Are voters required to choose four, or can they choose fewer if they don't think four candidates are worthy? Are they allowed to choose, say, three horses, one jockey and no trainers? How about two horses and nothing else? I ask because if I were a turf writer, my ballot would have Goldikova, Gio Ponti and maybe Javier Castellano on it, maximum.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't know whether only three individuals can be voted in, instead of four, but I do know that those four can come from any of the categories. It could be three horses and one rider or one trainer.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Additional rule to it being the top four vote getters, Each must receive a minimum of 50%+1 from the voters, if nobody or only one were to get 50%+1 then we wouldn't have four inductees this year.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Racing has to have the easiest HOF to get into. It's very silly.

Kent Desormeaux is very appreciative of the rules, 14 years now a member :lol:
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby blamethewinner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 pm

stark wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Racing has to have the easiest HOF to get into. It's very silly.

Do you not think Desormeaux is deserving of the Hall of Fame?
blamethewinner

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 pm

blamethewinner wrote:
stark wrote:

Do you not think Desormeaux is deserving of the Hall of Fame?

Yeah, I agree. The HOF in racing is a joke, IMO, because it's too inclusive but Kent deserves it.

Poor guy's soul just needs to find some peace.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Life At Zen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:28 am

I can't see why anyone would not think Javier is a shoo-in. He's young but his record speaks for itself. I think he's one of the very best in the game and despite his 4 Eclipses I feel like some people don't appreciate him as much as they should. Maybe it's just me...
Dortmund, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Iliad, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby Izvestia » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:14 am

Perret is deserving, imo.
Izvestia

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Life At Zen wrote:I can't see why anyone would not think Javier is a shoo-in. He's young but his record speaks for itself. I think he's one of the very best in the game and despite his 4 Eclipses I feel like some people don't appreciate him as much as they should. Maybe it's just me...

His youth is the only thing that makes him a "maybe" for me. Maybe it's the mental comparisons I always make to baseball's hall, for which you have to have had at least a 10-year career in the majors and have been away from the game for five years just to get on the ballot, and receive 75 percent of the votes to get in. Jockeys get in while still active, and in cases like Desormeaux's, while they're still relatively young, which sometimes I have trouble accepting. Javier's accomplishments definitely qualify him under the racing hall's guidelines, that can't be argued.

Trainers can get in young, too, but that's because many keep training until they're no longer physically able -- or until they die -- and the Hall likes to have living people present to make acceptance speeches. Casse, at 56, ought to have a least a decade, probably more, left in him, so I wouldn't vote for him now out of fear that he might not make it to next August. I assume that in a very few years, Chad Brown, who started young and had almost immediate success at the highest level, will be on the ballot. That would be an interesting voting quandary for me, too.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BigCountry » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:12 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:His youth is the only thing that makes him a "maybe" for me. Maybe it's the mental comparisons I always make to baseball's hall, for which you have to have had at least a 10-year career in the majors and have been away from the game for five years just to get on the ballot

To be fair, jockeys become eligible after 20 years as a licensed rider (25 for trainers). That requirement may be waived, but a 5-year wait is then required (which may also be waived due to fragile health or special circumstances at the discretion of the committee). The most recent individual for whom the 20-year requirement was waived was Ramon Dominguez.
BigCountry

PreviousNext

Return to Racing