Unique Bella

Re: Unique Bella

Postby stark » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:32 am

From a blog at Twinspires by Jennifer Caldwell...
And now to the filly everyone is talking about – UNIQUE BELLA. The Jerry Hollendorfer pupil may have been winning too easily of late, as the March 4 Santa Ysabel Stakes (G3) at Santa Anita Park saw the gray lass challenged for the first time since she kicked off her career last June.

Unique Bella didn’t have the best of starts in the 1 1/16-mile affair. She broke in, her head in the air, and was rank for jockey Mike Smith heading into the first turn. The Tapit filly refused to settle on the inside, surging forward between Tap It All and Spooky Woods, bumping with the latter. She finally straightened out upon hitting the front and continued on her merry way, all alone, until rounding the final turn.

That’s when Unique Bella seemed to shorten stride. Could have been she lost interest, could have been Smith allowed his guard to drop with how easily she usually wins. Whatever the reason, Abel Tasman came powering up the outside and threatened the heavy favorite.

Or at least, appeared to threaten. With a tap of the whip from Smith, Unique Bella re-broke and pulled away once again to be 2 1/4 lengths clear on the wire. Despite all that, she still earned a 104 BRIS Speed rating, her second best to date.

There are some still claiming Unique Bella is the best three-year-old out there, period, and should face the boys, but Hollendorfer continues targeting the Kentucky Oaks with his latest superstar. Next up is the Santa Anita Oaks (G1) on April 8. Hopefully, if she wins as easily as Songbird did last year for Hollendorfer, Unique Bella won’t come down with a fever afterward and be forced to miss the Run for the Lillies.
http://www.twinspires.com/blog/2017/3/5 ... eaderboard

Count me as one of the some that believe, it's been a long time since Winning Colors in 1989!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby sweettalk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 pm

WC won in 1988 ;)

i do think she's good enough to win the derby. but that race is basically crazypants, and if she's going to take on the boys i'd rather her do it in one of the summer classics.
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Health emergencies are on the rise near that sword. A class-action suit is pending.
sweettalk

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Izvestia wrote:I feel like that will be the closed Abel gets to Unique Bella!

I agree. Not sure why that runnerup is receiving so much praise.

After attending the Fountain of Youth I got home and turned on my tape of this race. I'd estimate the safest wager of the day was that Unique Bella would respond once asked a bit toward the wire. There was no danger at all regarding the outcome. Zero. At least a sixteenth earlier I had already pegged what would happen, based on how effortlessly she was cruising, while the struggling irrelevant also ran was making up some meaningless and misleading ground.

Mike Smith has had so many freakish horses recently that this type of ride is becoming very comfortable for him. He knows what they are capable of and allows them to do it.

Apparently the speed figure types want all out to the wire. It is laughable and has always been laughable. I've been laughing for more than 40 years at the absurdity. Top frontrunners in every sport have a tendency to back off once the issue is settled. They are wonderfully underrated as a result. For whatever reason the bar stool conventional wisdom types are forever fascinated with closers who dawdle early and then frantically chase the finish line with all their might.

The only aspect that is overrated about frontrunners is how much time they are surrendering once they back off. You can generally cut the estimates in half, whether it's time or margin. For example, when American Pharoah cruised to the finish line in the Haskell the race caller Larry Collmus fell into the standard trap of absurdly overstating how much American Pharoah could have won by if asked full out.
Apollo

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 am

UB is very impressive. She won't go to the Derby, but it's interesting to me to hear some say she's not good enough or that she won't even win the Oaks. What male looks better than her to date? And what female do you see beating her in the Oaks?

My concern with her would be that she ran off with Mike and would've run over horses doing so. That move in the first turn was dangerous.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quiet Chris » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 am

Admin wrote:UB is very impressive. She won't go to the Derby, but it's interesting to me to hear some say she's not good enough or that she won't even win the Oaks. What male looks better than her to date? And what female do you see beating her in the Oaks?

My concern with her would be that she ran off with Mike and would've run over horses doing so. That move in the first turn was dangerous.

Had a huge fight over this at our end of project dinner last night. 4-1 said don't run her in the Derby, but the 1 was the boss, who we got to meet for first time in 10 years. He was 100% behind running her in Derby . He was more perplexed at why Ticonderoga was not going to Turfway for that Derby prep and then trying dirt in the Derby like Animal Kingdom. Says Ticonderoga best horse in the crop. Now this is the only person in American who thinks Obama and Trump are both excellent Presidents, so his opinion is pretty meaningless :lol:

I personally said no to her in the Derby because with her name and the name of the filly who broke down being somewhat similar, the mainstream media would turn the entire week into stories of her breaking down and if by some small chance she was injured, the trainer would not be able to live with himself. He said no Derby and should stick with his guns. I have a few Derby futures too that I don't want her messing with.

You should expect an email next week about your Normandy Invasion seasons. The other Chris and Kevin are headed down to Ocala this weekend to deal with horse business for a few days. He said "sure" about buying them.
Quiet Chris

Postby stark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:26 am

Anybody seen or heard an interview with owners The Alberto Farm this week, or is Hollendorfer pretty much the spokesperson to the press because he speaks english?

I'm still counting on them to catch Derby Fever before the 100 point SA Derby.

Gracias.
stark

Postby mariasmon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 am

stark wrote:Anybody seen or heard an interview with owners The Alberto Farm this week, or is Hollendorfer pretty much the spokesperson to the press because he speaks english?

I'm still counting on them to catch Derby Fever before the 100 point SA Derby.

Gracias.

http://i.bloodhorse.com/daily-app/pdfs/ ... 170306.pdf

Page 6. De nada.
mariasmon

Postby stark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks Mariasmon, much appreciated.

I still think there's a chance for them catching the fever and over ruling King Jerry,

A) a very big strong fast filly who has overcome adversity and gone on to win handily
B) a lack of dominance showing up from the boys so far.
C) an experienced jock who says she's still learning and he hasn't reached bottom yet
D) they really want to make a splash from their considerable investment$, the Derby would be a dream come true.
stark

Postby Tessablue » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 am

Why does anybody want her in the Derby at this stage? If she pulls in that race what she pulled last weekend, it would be a horrific disaster.
Tessablue

Postby stark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:57 am

Tessablue wrote:Why does anybody want her in the Derby at this stage? If she pulls in that race what she pulled last weekend, it would be a horrific disaster.

After the race, when asked about breaking bad and rushing up, Hollendorfer said "we'll fix that" and I believe him.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing