Page 4 of 6

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:30 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Now Laurel has cancelled the rest of its card. :(

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 pm
by stark
Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

We have cancelled racing at #Aqueduct both today and Monday, New Year’s Day.

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm
by serenassong
Turfway has called off the card today

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm
by stark
stark wrote:Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

We have cancelled racing at #Aqueduct both today and Monday, New Year’s Day.


Add Laurel, Parx and Turfway to the cancellations today.

Santa Anita pots should be juicy if the east coast can find a place to bet at.

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Parx has canceled for Monday, as well.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... -saturday/

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am
by Forry Cow How
NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am
by WaquoitNBroadBrush
Forry Cow How wrote:NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.


Mahoning Valley has been running in 10- to 15-degree temperatures through this long cold spell. Why is 10 degrees OK with their jocks, while 20 degrees is cold enough to keep Eastern tracks shut down? Do jocks in Ohio need every chance to earn purse money more than NY, PA and MD jocks do?

Side note: I was playing MVR via simulcast last week and saw three track records broken in the first four races. Just a few days earlier, in milder weather, horses were struggling to get 6 furlongs in under 1:18, which I attributed to MVR's deep, winter-engineered surface. Did it freeze or was the track scraped for some reason?

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am
by Somnambulist
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Forry Cow How wrote:NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.


Mahoning Valley has been running in 10- to 15-degree temperatures through this long cold spell. Why is 10 degrees OK with their jocks, while 20 degrees is cold enough to keep Eastern tracks shut down? Do jocks in Ohio need every chance to earn purse money more than NY, PA and MD jocks do?


I really, really hate this argument. I mean you do understand Aqueduct is literally a stone's throw from a large body of water? When was the last time you got on a horse in single digit weather after a blizzard?

If a bunch of people who starve themselves to make weight think it's unsafe to ride, then it probably is..

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Meadowlands has cancelled racing for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... ulcasting/
You know the weather is dangerously bad when the tough Standardbreds and their drivers stay in the barn. :shock:
ETA: Regarding Aqueduct; I would guess that it's not just the riders who get to weigh in on racing conditions. Outriders, gate crew and emergency personnel all have to be out in that weather. And let's not forget the people who come to watch. Would anyone even come out to Aqueduct in blizzard conditions?
Som can probably weigh in on this, but isn't it kind of iffy getting to Aqueduct on the local trains in this sort of weather? Aqueduct may have decided that it was too dangerous for both track personnel and spectators to come to the track.
I can't guess why Mahoning is still running in their weather, but maybe the fact that it's a lower-level track means they're operating with a much slimmer budget...and need to run their card?

Re: Cancellations - 2017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm
by Catalina
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Meadowlands has cancelled racing for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... ulcasting/
You know the weather is dangerously bad when the tough Standardbreds and their drivers stay in the barn. :shock:
ETA: Regarding Aqueduct; I would guess that it's not just the riders who get to weigh in on racing conditions. Outriders, gate crew and emergency personnel all have to be out in that weather. And let's not forget the people who come to watch. Would anyone even come out to Aqueduct in blizzard conditions?
Som can probably weigh in on this, but isn't it kind of iffy getting to Aqueduct on the local trains in this sort of weather? Aqueduct may have decided that it was too dangerous for both track personnel and spectators to come to the track.
I can't guess why Mahoning is still running in their weather, but maybe the fact that it's a lower-level track means they're operating with a much slimmer budget...and need to run their card?


I would think that some tracks may have to cancel for longer than just through this weekend.