Cancellations - 2017

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Now Laurel has cancelled the rest of its card. :(
stark

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

We have cancelled racing at #Aqueduct both today and Monday, New Year’s Day.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
serenassong

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Turfway has called off the card today
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
stark

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm

stark wrote:Andy Serling
‏@andyserling

We have cancelled racing at #Aqueduct both today and Monday, New Year’s Day.
Add Laurel, Parx and Turfway to the cancellations today.

Santa Anita pots should be juicy if the east coast can find a place to bet at.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Parx has canceled for Monday, as well.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... -saturday/
Forry Cow How

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am

NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am

Forry Cow How wrote:NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.
Mahoning Valley has been running in 10- to 15-degree temperatures through this long cold spell. Why is 10 degrees OK with their jocks, while 20 degrees is cold enough to keep Eastern tracks shut down? Do jocks in Ohio need every chance to earn purse money more than NY, PA and MD jocks do?

Side note: I was playing MVR via simulcast last week and saw three track records broken in the first four races. Just a few days earlier, in milder weather, horses were struggling to get 6 furlongs in under 1:18, which I attributed to MVR's deep, winter-engineered surface. Did it freeze or was the track scraped for some reason?
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Forry Cow How wrote:NYRA has cancelled through the weekend. Expects to race again on Thursday, January 11, 2018. Per Dave Grening.
Mahoning Valley has been running in 10- to 15-degree temperatures through this long cold spell. Why is 10 degrees OK with their jocks, while 20 degrees is cold enough to keep Eastern tracks shut down? Do jocks in Ohio need every chance to earn purse money more than NY, PA and MD jocks do?
I really, really hate this argument. I mean you do understand Aqueduct is literally a stone's throw from a large body of water? When was the last time you got on a horse in single digit weather after a blizzard?

If a bunch of people who starve themselves to make weight think it's unsafe to ride, then it probably is..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Meadowlands has cancelled racing for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... ulcasting/
You know the weather is dangerously bad when the tough Standardbreds and their drivers stay in the barn. :shock:
ETA: Regarding Aqueduct; I would guess that it's not just the riders who get to weigh in on racing conditions. Outriders, gate crew and emergency personnel all have to be out in that weather. And let's not forget the people who come to watch. Would anyone even come out to Aqueduct in blizzard conditions?
Som can probably weigh in on this, but isn't it kind of iffy getting to Aqueduct on the local trains in this sort of weather? Aqueduct may have decided that it was too dangerous for both track personnel and spectators to come to the track.
I can't guess why Mahoning is still running in their weather, but maybe the fact that it's a lower-level track means they're operating with a much slimmer budget...and need to run their card?
Catalina

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Meadowlands has cancelled racing for Friday and Saturday.
https://www.paulickreport.com/horseplay ... ulcasting/
You know the weather is dangerously bad when the tough Standardbreds and their drivers stay in the barn. :shock:
ETA: Regarding Aqueduct; I would guess that it's not just the riders who get to weigh in on racing conditions. Outriders, gate crew and emergency personnel all have to be out in that weather. And let's not forget the people who come to watch. Would anyone even come out to Aqueduct in blizzard conditions?
Som can probably weigh in on this, but isn't it kind of iffy getting to Aqueduct on the local trains in this sort of weather? Aqueduct may have decided that it was too dangerous for both track personnel and spectators to come to the track.
I can't guess why Mahoning is still running in their weather, but maybe the fact that it's a lower-level track means they're operating with a much slimmer budget...and need to run their card?
I would think that some tracks may have to cancel for longer than just through this weekend.
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm

The MTA's A line runs to Aqueduct. I'm not sure how the subways were effected yesterday but the ACE line doesn't work on a regular day, so it would be unsurprising. The public transpiration infrastructure is ill equipped for blizzards (see: my 2.5 hour train ride to work this morning).

Temperature is no expected to reach above 20 until late in the week and it's been like this for the past week. This is the first time in my life, and my parents, that our windshield washer fluid has frozen. I walk 15 city blocks to work and my skin literally stings the entire time. It is cold. I cannot imagine being out there for much longer. The horses and the jocks don't have much body fat. Why open? Degenerates can bet on product elsewhere.

I'd found the Midwest overall to be able to handle the severe cold better than we can.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Forry Cow How

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 am

Also, Aqueduct doesn't have an inner track anymore. Should have put in an all-weather track instead of a second turf course. So track condition also plays into it. They aren't even allowing training at Aqueduct.

Laurel had to cancel after horses were falling on the gallop out due to track conditions.

I think the horses can handle the cold, but the jockeys and others would have a hard time. I don't know how they get through regular chores when it's this cold. I'm a cold-weather wimp as I've gotten older. I used to go to the barn in the Winter all the time, but I wouldn't want to do it now.
Catalina

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Forry Cow How wrote: Laurel had to cancel after horses were falling on the gallop out due to track conditions.
Horses OK as far as you heard?
Northport

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:39 pm

I'm not really sure if horses can handle the cold, at least when it comes to galloping/racing in it. There was a post made by a vet going around on Facebook saying that walking/light work is okay when it's below zero celcius, but excessive work is hard on their lungs. I can't find the post now, but it was more or less the same as what this vet says:

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-exper ... inter.aspx
weeeeeeeee
Miss Woodford

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Last weekend some harness tracks in Canada were running when it was even colder than this.
(Temps listed are in Celsius)
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/racing ... chrtnn.dat
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/racing ... 1flmdn.dat
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/racing ... 31lonn.dat
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/racing ... ridcfn.dat Yes, that's -27C/-16 Fahrenheit. Ottawans are insane.

Today though the only harness track open in North America is Northlands Park in Edmonton Alberta, because somehow it is warmer there (4C/39F at post time) than anywhere on the eastern seaboard or in Ontario.
Catalina

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am

Northport wrote:I'm not really sure if horses can handle the cold, at least when it comes to galloping/racing in it. There was a post made by a vet going around on Facebook saying that walking/light work is okay when it's below zero celcius, but excessive work is hard on their lungs. I can't find the post now, but it was more or less the same as what this vet says:

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-exper ... inter.aspx

https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... cold-ride/
serenassong

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:51 pm

The A called off the card after the track thawed out and became soup, and also CT for tonight.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Catalina

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm

That was to be expected. I'm glad they canceled.
serenassong

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Turway and CT for tonight. Think this was one of the days that Turfway was adding races to make up for the 2 days they lost previously to bad weather. So much for that.
Katewerk

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Aqueduct just delayed R3 for fog. It was quite impressive.