Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 am

Julien Leparoux@JulienLeparoux
2h2 hours ago
Welcome to the world Vinn Noah Leparoux!!! Baby and mama are doing good. @SheaLeparoux Can’t wait for you to meet your big brother
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 am

Awwww. Congrats to the young couple.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Hovdey: Van Berg's boots will be hard to fill
More often than not, a conversation with Jack Van Berg would take place with him on one of his big, strapping ponies and you on the ground, paying close heed. The thing is, Jack never talked down to you, but you always looked up to him.

Van Berg did more with horses in his 81 years than can be sensibly measured. He bred them, foaled them, raised and broke them, then conditioned and raced them to be the best they were intended to be.

Hours spent hanging out at the Van Berg barn – any Van Berg barn – was a leap to a parallel universe in which the horses were hard-working royalty in service to a difficult cause. The atmosphere was one of quiet industry, the aromas barnyard sweet. Jack was always busy, but he always had the time to go stall to stall, making introductions, revealing details, apologizing for the occasional poor performance.

The ease with which Van Berg handled himself around horseflesh was intimidating. They nuzzled him, twitched and shook their heads in a form of equine signing only Big Jack could understand. Frank Brothers, an early Van Berg acolyte and more than half horse himself, called his mentor “the most naturally gifted horseman I’ve ever known.”

More: http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-van-bergs-boots-will-be-hard-fill
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:36 pm

According to his agent Bryce Soth jockey Emisael Jaramillo suffered no serious injuries from spill in Gulfstream Park finale and is expected to be released from hospital tomorrow and hoping to ride on Friday although that is still to be determined.

https://youtu.be/VQchuZcBOcU

And somebody out there won the year-end contest for bad beats, they were alive to his #9 horse for the P6......$500,000!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby lurkey mclurker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm

Scott Burton @seenthestars
Dec 28

While it's been mathematically assured for several meetings, time to congratulate Christophe Lemaire on becoming Japan's Champion Jockey / Cravache d'Or. 199 wins from 809 rides, he finished 28 winners clear of Keita Tosaki and Mirco Demuro. Proof that nice guys do finish first

I believe he is the first foreign rider to capture the title. :mrgreen:
lurkey mclurker

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Phil Bongiovanni @PhilBongiovanni
41m41 minutes ago
I’m the first person to call out cheaters in our game but Ellis is not one of them. No intent to deceive by his part, the state vet knew the circumstances before the race. What’s upsetting is that this guy is crucified while other cheaters are celebrated for winning BC races.

Ellis prepares to serve suspension
California trainer Ron Ellis is disbanding his stable this weekend in advance of the start of a 60-day suspension that begins on Monday. Ellis was suspended because a horse he trained, Masochistic, tested positive for a steroid after finishing second in the 2016 Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Santa Anita.

Ellis has approximately 25 horses at Santa Anita, according to track officials. Ellis said on Friday that some of his horses will be transferred to Southern California trainers Blake Heap, Brian Koriner, and Gerard Piccioni, while others will be sent out of state.

In a stewards ruling adopted by the California Horse Racing Board and issued Dec. 17, Ellis was suspended from Monday through March 1 and fined $10,000 after Masochistic tested positive for the steroid stanozolol.

Ellis said he discussed filing an appeal of the ruling with attorneys, who told him he might win a reversal in court, but would be unlikely to be granted a stay of Monday’s start of the suspension.

“That was the important thing,” Ellis said of the stay.

Terms of the suspension require Ellis to forfeit his stalls at Santa Anita and remove from the stables all “signage, colors, advertisements, training-related equipment tack, office equipment and any other property,” according to the ruling.

The ruling stated Ellis could not transfer the horses in his care to a family member, or any licensee who has been an employee of his stable in the last year. While suspended, Ellis cannot attend the races or be in the stables.

He said on Friday that the terms of the ruling were harsh, considering he had no major medication violations since he began training in 1980.

“I feel a little betrayed by the industry, to be honest,” Ellis said. “After 37 years, I feel like I’m being treated like a criminal.”

Ellis has served on the board of directors for the California Thoroughbred Trainers association and the Thoroughbred Owners of California.

“I’ve tried to give back,” he said.

Ellis also works as a commentator on TVG, but plans to give up that job during the suspension. The ban from attending the races would prevent Ellis from working for TVG at the track, and he will not work in the TVG studio in the Los Angeles area as a commentator. He said he discussed the issue with TVG executives and was not opposed to taking a hiatus.

“I think it’s the right thing for them to do,” he said.

Ellis plans to begin training again in early March.

“Everyone likes a comeback story,” he said. “It’s certainly put me in a hole.”

More: http://www.drf.com/news/ellis-prepares-serve-suspension
Sparrow Castle

Postby Curtis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Phil Bongiovanni @PhilBongiovanni
41m41 minutes ago
I’m the first person to call out cheaters in our game but Ellis is not one of them. No intent to deceive by his part, the state vet knew the circumstances before the race. What’s upsetting is that this guy is crucified while other cheaters are celebrated for winning BC races.

California trainer Ron Ellis is disbanding his stable this weekend in advance of the start of a 60-day suspension that begins on Monday. Ellis was suspended because a horse he trained, Masochistic, tested positive for a steroid after finishing second in the 2016 Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Santa Anita.

Ellis has approximately 25 horses at Santa Anita, according to track officials. Ellis said on Friday that some of his horses will be transferred to Southern California trainers Blake Heap, Brian Koriner, and Gerard Piccioni, while others will be sent out of state.
In a stewards ruling adopted by the California Horse Racing Board and issued Dec. 17, Ellis was suspended from Monday through March 1 and fined $10,000 after Masochistic tested positive for the steroid stanozolol.

Ellis said he discussed filing an appeal of the ruling with attorneys, who told him he might win a reversal in court, but would be unlikely to be granted a stay of Monday’s start of the suspension.

Terms of the suspension require Ellis to forfeit his stalls at Santa Anita and remove from the stables all “signage, colors, advertisements, training-related equipment tack, office equipment and any other property,” according to the ruling.

The ruling stated Ellis could not transfer the horses in his care to a family member, or any licensee who has been an employee of his stable in the last year. While suspended, Ellis cannot attend the races or be in the stables.

He said on Friday that the terms of the ruling were harsh, considering he had no major medication violations since he began training in 1980.

“I feel a little betrayed by the industry, to be honest,” Ellis said. “After 37 years, I feel like I’m being treated like a criminal.”

Ellis has served on the board of directors for the California Thoroughbred Trainers association and the Thoroughbred Owners of California.

Ellis also works as a commentator on TVG, but plans to give up that job during the suspension. The ban from attending the races would prevent Ellis from working for TVG at the track, and he will not work in the TVG studio in the Los Angeles area as a commentator. He said he discussed the issue with TVG executives and was not opposed to taking a hiatus.

When you have a horse put on a vets list multiple times, that the general public is not privy to, in order to train said horse on steroids, describing it as not trying to deceive is semantics. In the scheme of things, Ellis is not a criminal but he trained using steroids through a loophole and knew he could get bit by it. Dr. Arthur knowing about it is irrelevent. Horses don’t make any money in the barn, when you run them three times a year, well spaced, chances are the down time is needed to let substances clear a horse’s system.
Curtis

Postby stark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:12 pm

If you could have made a future bet on either of Masochistic's trainers, A.C.Avila or Ron Ellis, doing time for a drug infraction, how much would you have lost? :lol:

One more.....is it a good idea or not for TVG to have a suspended trainer on the desk at Santa Anita suggesting wagers??
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Curtis wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Phil Bongiovanni @PhilBongiovanni
41m41 minutes ago

When you have a horse put on a vets list multiple times, that the general public is not privy to, in order to train said horse on steroids, describing it as not trying to deceive is semantics. In the scheme of things, Ellis is not a criminal but he trained using steroids through a loophole and knew he could get bit by it. Dr. Arthur knowing about it is irrelevent. Horses don’t make any money in the barn, when you run them three times a year, well spaced, chances are the down time is needed to let substances clear a horse’s system.

Avila got a drug positive for this horse too. Obviously, it's been difficult to keep him in racing shape. I'm not arguing that Ellis shouldn't get penalized. He took a risk and he lost. I'm arguing against the inconsistent application of rules which protects the large stable "golden boys" when their designer drug use kills horses. The CHRB could have accomplished their purposes with the proposed settlement of a 59 day suspension, that kept the stable intact, and a year probation. Or better yet, pass the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act and get rid of the ambiguity altogether. The current system is not working.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm

stark wrote:If you could have made a future bet on either of Masochistic's trainers, A.C.Avila or Ron Ellis, doing time for a drug infraction, how much would you have lost? :lol:

One more.....is it a good idea or not for TVG to have a suspended trainer on the desk at Santa Anita suggesting wagers??

The Avila case was very different. And the article states that Ellis is losing his TVG gig too.
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing