Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:This makes me so sad, Jack's been through so much this year.

Van Berg still training as he battles cancer
Hall of Fame trainer Jack Van Berg recently underwent surgery for cancer of his inner jaw but continues to train a stable that will move to Oaklawn Park in Arkansas shortly after the Churchill Downs fall meet ends Nov. 26.

Van Berg, 81, was diagnosed earlier this year with squamous cell carcinoma and underwent a second surgery Oct. 31 in Little Rock, Ark., in an attempt to eradicate the disease, said Van Berg’s son and assistant, Tom.

“Unfortunately, the latest operation failed to remove all of the affected cells,” said the younger Van Berg. “He has a scar from his ear to his Adam’s apple. He has another appointment Tuesday in Little Rock to see how best to proceed. The doctors are saying that at his age, chemotherapy and radiation are not options.”

More: http://www.drf.com/news/van-berg-still-training-he-battles-cancer

Sorry to hear this news. I had a chance to talk with him a few years back when he came to Hazel Park for the resurrection of our TB meet after a 30+ year absence, in 2014.
He signed his book for me, "JACK, From Grit to Glory", and answered some questions I had about Gate Dancer and that noise reduction head gear that he sported. Extraordinarily nice man. Mr. Van Berg is a tough guy and I wish him the best.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:25 am

If someone had asked me where Frankel's jockey would want to hang his tack if he moved to the Colonies, I would not have guessed Golden Gate. :shock:
Tom Queally, Rider of Frankel, Moves Tack to California
Multiple group 1-winning jockey will make first start at Golden Gate Fields Nov. 16.
Tom Queally, known best as the regular jockey of undefeated European champion Frankel, has relocated to Northern California, where he'll begin riding Nov. 16 at Golden Gate Fields.
The 33-year-old jockey, who rode Frankel in all 14 of his races (including 10 group 1 victories), is ready to begin a new chapter in his racing life. A native of Ireland, Queally moved to the San Francisco Bay Area earlier in November and will ride the Tim McCanna-trained Annisquam in the first race at Golden Gate on the Thursday card.

Read more: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... california
BaroqueAgain1

Postby PJMIII » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Jockey Roman Chapa gets 10 years probation for making false statements

Roman Chapa, the Texas journeyman jockey who was suspended for five years in 2015 for using an illegal electrical device on a horse, has been placed on probation for 10 years after pleading guilty to a criminal charge of making a false statement to a state investigator, according to court records.

http://www.drf.com/news/jockey-roman-ch ... statements
PJMIII

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 am

I know we talked about this issue way back when it first started, but can't easily find the thread. I just want to give kudos to Bill Mott for his persistence. I'm not one to bash NYRA easily, but this has been ridiculous and has gone on far too long.

Drug testing in New York: a day of reckoning is on the way
I received in my inbox recently a press release issued by the New York Thoroughbred Horse Association about the new split sample program being instituted at Aqueduct’s Fall race meet.

The New York State Gaming Commission has begun to take blood samples that are being refrigerated at the track. This is the first time New York horsemen will have guaranteed access to a split sample. That split sample can now be sent to an independent referee laboratory in the event of an initial positive test finding at New York’s primary laboratory.

The press release does not address an elementary question.

Why now?

There has been a long-standing model rule or national standard that requires regulators to provide horsemen with split sample protections. It has always been a fundamental fairness issue, one that has been ignored in New York.

More: https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/drug-testing-new-york-day-reckoning-way/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Horsebagger » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Martin Garcia's move to NY is certainly working out so far, huh? And it's not even cold yet. Hope he bought a round trip ticket.
Horsebagger

Postby stark » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Hall of Fame jockey Alex Solis announces retirement

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39666-hall- ... retirement
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Apprentice Jenn Miller Suffers Broken Jaw, Concussion In Charles Town Spill
In Saturday evening's second race at Charles Town, apprentice jockey Jenn Miller had Green Time on the lead turning for home. The 4-year-old gelding leveled off in the final sixteenth, finishing in fifth place, but then broke down shortly after crossing the wire. Green Time had to be euthanized as a result of his injuries.
Trainer David Nunn, who helped Miller get her start in the Thoroughbred industry, reported on Facebook that the 32-year-old jockey suffered a broken jaw in two places as a result of the fall. She was airlifted to Virginia's Winchester Medical Center, and it was determined that she had a severe concussion with two locations of bleeding in her brain. One of those spots has already dissipated, Nunn stated, and the other has not changed in size.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... own-spill/

RIP Green Time and best wishes to Ms. Miller for quick and complete recovery.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby honneerider » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 pm

From David Nunn:

Jenn miller update! The surgery went well to repair her broken jaws! She is in recovery as we speak!
honneerider

Postby stark » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Hall of Fame rider Gary Stevens said Monday he plans to winter at the Oaklawn Park meet that opens in January. He is scheduled to ride the opening-day card Dec. 26 at Santa Anita, then get on the road to Hot Springs, Ark. Stevens said he plans to be working horses at Oaklawn no later than Jan. 2. The meet starts Jan. 12.
stark

Postby stark » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:48 am

The Ortiz brothers in the New Yorker magazine....

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... rse-racing
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing