Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am

This is pretty long but I really enjoyed reminiscing as I read it. And I've always liked Mandella, and love his dry sense of humor. There's going to be three more parts. If I don't catch them all, I hope someone else here will post them.

The Quiet Man: Mandella Lets His Horses Do The Talking (First Of Four Parts)
(Over the next four days, Tere Albanese goes inside the stable of Hall of Fame horseman Richard Mandella to learn more about his background, training methods and philosophy. In part one, Albanese looks at the overall career of Mandella, 66, and some of the champions and other memorable horses he's trained.)

In 1993 I wrote a Q&A on Bobby Frankel for the Thoroughbred Times, which was the highlight of my journalistic career. After Bobby died in 2009, I lost interest in racing. The sport had lost something that could never be replaced. But like so many other fair-weather racing fans, that dwindling fire was reignited when the flawless and one of the sweetest champions, American Pharoah, crossed the wire in front in the Belmont Stakes and completed the first Triple Crown sweep since Affirmed in 1978. I wanted to write again and thought it might be a way to honor Bobby Frankel by asking the same basic questions of another racing great who also viscerally felt the loss of Bobby Frankel, that being Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/quiet-man-mandella-lets-horses-talking-first-four-parts/
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:54 pm

FLORENCE, Ky. – Kent Sweezey is coming home. Sweezey has been allotted six stalls at the Trackside training center in Louisville, where he will embark on a solo training career using his home state of Kentucky as his primary base.

Sweezey, 31, has worked the last seven years in California and New York as a stable hand and assistant for Eoin Harty, Christophe Clement, and, most recently, Jimmy Jerkens. For Jerkens, he worked closely with such stars as Wicked Strong, Effinex, Unified, and Shaman Ghost.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

The West Point Thoroughbreds ownership group has moved 10 horses from trainer Tom Albertrani, ending a business relationship that began in 2009, the partnership’s president confirmed Wednesday.

Among the horses moved was Twilight Eclipse, a Grade 1-winning gelding and earner of more than $2.1 million. The 8-year-old is with Graham Motion, a trainer with whom West Point has at least a dozen runners. Also receiving horses from West Point in this move were George Weaver, Tony Dutrow, and Tom Morley.
stark

Postby PJMIII » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 am

Owner, veterinarian suspended 30 days

The New York stewards suspended owner Raj Jagnanan for 30 days and fined him $1,500 for having a bottle of the medication albuterol in his car. Albuterol is a bronchodilator that is only permitted to be in the possession of a licensed veterinarian.

http://www.drf.com/news/owner-veterinar ... ed-30-days
PJMIII

Postby Starine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:06 pm

'Snake' Thompson continues to improve from stroke
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rom-stroke

Not a trainer or a jockey but an all-around good guy who has been employed in the racing industry for decades. The article included a link to the Go Fund Me account established for him.
Starine

Postby PJMIII » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:31 am

Experience Helps Allen Compete at Tampa Bay Downs

In some ways jockey Ronnie Allen Jr. overcomes the odds every day he rides.

Professional sports are dominated by the young and horse racing is no different. But at age 52 Allen competes on a daily basis with riders often half his age; young, eager jockeys hungry to win races and make a name for themselves.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -bay-downs

----------
PJMIII

Postby stark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Trainer Lynn Whiting 77
rest in peace
stark

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm

stark wrote:Trainer Lynn Whiting 77
rest in peace

I was there for Lil E Tee's Derby win, and Mr. Whiting was as kind and approachable as they come. Just a decent man who will surely be missed.

RIP Mr. Whiting.

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... iting-dies

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
stark wrote:Trainer Lynn Whiting 77
rest in peace

I was there for Lil E Tee's Derby win, and Mr. Whiting was as kind and approachable as they come. Just a decent man who will surely be missed.

RIP Mr. Whiting.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... iting-dies

WarBiscuit

Oh this is sad, had hoped he had beat his health issues. I remember that Derby well, and all the pre-race chatter. We were rooting hard for a different long shot, Casual Lies, owned and trained by Shelley Riley, little-known outside the West Coast. Their 2nd place didn't sting quite so much after the dust settled and it sunk in the winner was Mr. Whiting's "ET phone home" as the kids called him. A really nice horseman and individual, he will be missed. RIP, Mr. Whiting.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Starine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Jane Driggers Proctor, pioneering rider, wife of trainer/horseman Hap, has died from a brain tumor
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36223
Starine

PreviousNext

Return to Racing