Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby Northport » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Saeed bin Suroor's interview on Monday had a very 'it's me or him' tone to it, I guess he knew he would win out, though Ferguson has been working alongside Sheikh Mohammed in some capacity or another for the last 25 years. He had a pretty successful National Hunt stable called Bloomfields that did very well with former Godolphin plodders who excelled over jumps. He walked away from that when he became CEO of Godolphin, with his horses being sold or resorbed into Godolphin as Gold Cup horses/high class stayers. I wonder if he will try to revive that.

The constant reshuffling of Godolphin certainly has been fascinating to watch to say the least. Though I cannot blame Saeed Bin Suroor for complaining about being assigned stable jockeys and racing managers/assistant racing managers/chief executives when the only man he really needs the opinion of is Sheikh Mohammed. That's a lot of middlemen to report to who don't exactly have boots on the ground for day to day happenings. I don't think he is the best trainer in the world, or even the best at Godolphin, but I see why he is frustrated. I also didn't know that fact about the Dubawi two years olds, Afrashad. But Ferguson's son is Charlie Appleby's assistant trainer, I wonder if that also had an impact on decided which horses go where.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:41 pm

I wonder if Ferguson will return to being bloodstock advisor for the Sheikh, or if he will leave his employ altogether.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Afrashad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am

Northport wrote: I also didn't know that fact about the Dubawi two years olds, Afrashad. But Ferguson's son is Charlie Appleby's assistant trainer, I wonder if that also had an impact on decided which horses go where.

To add further, Appleby has 31 Dubawi two-year-olds, and bin Suroor has 18. Having Ferguson's son as an assistant trainer just screams conflict of interest to me. I think most parents want to see their children be successful. There was a rumor Ferguson had his son, Alex, put on one of bin Suroor's horses last year, and he screwed up the ride.
Afrashad

Postby Starine » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Desormeaux warned by stewards after training whip use
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... g-whip-use
Starine

Postby Life At Zen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:26 am

Starine wrote:Desormeaux warned by stewards after training whip use
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... g-whip-use

Horse has a history of quitting abruptly. Trainer acknowledges that. Jockey taps him post work to keep him going on the gallop out. Stewards try to punish the jockey. What.........
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 pm

I guess I'll put this here since this is where we were discussing the changes at Godolphin. I really hope that long-standing "feud" between Godolphin and Coolmore does come to an end. We had a nice long chat with Joe Osborne at Darley when we were in Ireland a couple of years ago and, if there's any chance at all, I could see him managing the way through it. Fingers crossed!

New regime at Godolphin has the chance for a fresh start with Coolmore
Six mares from the Niarchos family. Five from Juddmonte, and the same from Peter Brant. Four Moyglare ladies. Three sent by the Wertheimer brothers. A couple apiece for George Strawbridge and the Queen. Others in line include Newsells Park, Ballylinch, Foxwoods, Airlie, Prince Faisal, the China Horse Club; and so it goes on.

It's like Fat Sam's speakeasy: anybody who is anybody will soon walk through that door. Anybody who wants to breed a Classic winner, that is, and can either afford the fee or offer mares of sufficient quality to merit a foal-share. Well, jolly nearly anybody. On Galileo's dance card this spring, yet again, there has been one conspicuous no-show - a figure so familiar elsewhere that his absence would be utterly mystifying, had it not become axiomatic; had it not become, in fact, the ultimate Turf shorthand for "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

More: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-world/new-regime-at-godolphin-has-the-chance-for-a-fresh-start-with-coolmore/289387
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 am

Trainer Manny Azpurua, a fixture on the South Florida Thoroughbred racing scene since 1980, died June 13 at Florida Medical Center.

The native of Caracas, Venezuela, who started the last horse of his training career at Gulfstream Park in April 2016, was 88.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... dies-at-88
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby PJMIII » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Horacio Karamanos Reaches 2,000 Wins

Journeyman Horacio Karamanos, a perennial leading rider in Maryland since his arrival in 2002, celebrated Father's Day in style, winning the third race June 18 at Laurel Park for his 2,000th career victory.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... 2-000-wins
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am

Doyle skips trip to Europe to focus on Ellis Park meet

Sophie Doyle could have been on a whirlwind trip to Europe, but duty called.

Doyle, perhaps as much as anyone on this side of the pond, is taking a fervent interest in this week's Royal Ascot meet. Her younger brother, James, has become a world-class jockey who won the Group 1 St. James’s Palace on Tuesday aboard Barney Roy for Godolphin.

http://www.drf.com/news/doyle-skips-tri ... -park-meet
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 am

Milestone Victory for Goodwin Comes at Canterbury Park

Jockey Nik Goodwin won his 1,000th career Thoroughbred race when he rode favorite Saganaga to victory for trainer Gary Scherer in the sixth race at Canterbury Park on June 22.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... rbury-park

-----------
PJMIII

PreviousNext

Return to Racing