Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby Diver52 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:31 pm

I guess the public hissy fit Simon Callaghan threw when he lost Abel Tasman didn't hurt him after all. :roll:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:36 pm

I suspect that there was so much sympathy for Callaghan that he didn't lose respect from other owners. The whole 'fire a trainer over laundry!?' thing seems to have created more jokes aimed at China Horse Club than criticism of Simon. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Anybody know if ex-trainer on the SoCal Circuit Caesar Dominguez has a good relationship with Baffert?

Jockey Martin Garcia has switched agents & is now represented by former trainer Caesar Dominguez.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby firehorse » Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm

firehorse wrote:I'm sure she'd of rather been in Louisville, but Chantal Sutherland got her 1,000th win on Saturday at Santa Anita.

Nice article by Hovdey:

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-sutherla ... ally-sweet
firehorse

Postby stark » Tue May 16, 2017 12:56 pm

NYRA has renamed G1 King's Bishop the Allen Jerkens Memorial in honor of the late Hall of Fame trainer known affectionately as "The Chief"
stark

Postby With Anticipation » Fri May 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Sources: Prominent jockey Julien Leparoux also allegedly bilked by former Kentucky hoops staffer

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky – Prominent thoroughbred racing jockey Julien Leparoux is the fourth professional athlete that the U.S. Department of Justice alleges was defrauded by former Kentucky basketball staffer turned financial adviser Leon Smith, Yahoo Sports has learned.

Leparoux is referred to in the federal indictment that was handed down earlier this month in Lexington, Kentucky, only by his initials, “J.L.” Multiple sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports this week that it is Leparoux who had business dealings with Smith several years ago.

“I don’t want to talk about that,” Leparoux told Yahoo Sports on Thursday at Churchill Downs, before the day’s race card got underway.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-p ... soc_trk=tw
With Anticipation

Postby stark » Sat May 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Name that trainer from his 8th grade basketball shot.....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... story.html
stark

Postby stark » Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Sometimes these things are worth noting, a shakeup, maybe in some different barns etc....

Jockey Kent Desormeaux has hired Nelson Arroyo as his agent, and has parted with J.R. Pegram, according to his publicist.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 pm

James Cummings Appointed Head TrainerImage

Godolphin have appointed James Cummings as the global operation’s Head Trainer in Australia.

Cummings joins Godolphin after almost a decade at Leilani Lodge at Randwick as Foreman, Co-Trainer with his grandfather Bart Cummings, and ultimately as Head Trainer.

Godolphin Managing Director in Australia Henry Plumptre said Cummings was exactly the person Godolphin needed to fill such a pivotal role.

“James is a great fit for Godolphin and his appointment is an exciting new chapter in the Godolphin story in Australia.”

“In a short space of time James has established himself as one of the most talented trainers in Australia and he has all the attributes to take us in the direction we want to go as a racing team both on and off the track,” Plumptre said.

Speaking of his appointment, James Cummings commented “It is truly an honor to be asked to join the Godolphin team as the Head Trainer in Australia and I am very grateful to His Highness Sheikh Mohammed for the opportunity."

“I am confident in my experience and I definitely have the enthusiasm to build on the incredible success that has already been achieved by Godolphin in Australia."

"I have been very fortunate in my career so far to have learnt my trade from some of the best in the business and I will be forever grateful to the fantastic and loyal owners that have supported me in my career so far, in particular Eduardo Cojuanco Jnr and Dato Tan Chin Nam.

Cummings will take up his new position on Saturday 8th July.

Darren Beadman will remain the Head Trainer during this interim period. He will then continue with the team in his original role of Assistant Trainer.

https://news.godolphin.com/news/james-cummings-appointed-head-trainer
Sparrow Castle

Postby Apollo » Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 pm

stark wrote:Name that trainer from his 8th grade basketball shot.....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... story.html

Good one. I missed it badly. I thought it might be Baffert even though it didn't really look like him.

The Los Angeles Times link through me off. I was trying to name someone with a Southern California background. I don't associate the correct answer with California.
Apollo

PreviousNext

Return to Racing