Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby With Anticipation » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Jockey dies after injury at Oklahoma racetrack

CLAREMORE (AP) — Officials say a jockey who was injured during a race at a northeastern Oklahoma track has died.

The Cherokee Nation says jockey Mario Chavez was injured Saturday at Will Rogers Downs after his horse crashed into the inside rail, throwing him to the ground. Gunnar Enlow, whose family owns the farm where the 42-year-old Chavez worked, says Chavez was pronounced dead at the hospital on Sunday.

http://newsok.com/jockey-dies-after-inj ... le/5566525
With Anticipation

Postby PJMIII » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:39 am

Jockeys Bejarano, Van Dyke, Desormeaux to serve suspensions

Jockeys Rafael Bejarano, Drayden Van Dyke, and Kent Desormeaux have dropped appeals of suspensions issued during the Del Mar summer meeting, according to recent rulings published by Santa Anita stewards.

Bejarano and Van Dyke begin three-day suspensions Saturday that end Thursday, Oct. 19. Desormeaux will serve a four-day suspension from Oct. 19-22.

http://www.drf.com/news/jockeys-bejaran ... uspensions
PJMIII

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm

After the QE II at Keeneland, I heard one of the TVG hosts say that Irad Ortiz had immediately left the track to fly home. Apparently he and his wife have been expecting their second child and, if I heard correctly, the baby was due in January. It arrived today, which would be very premature. :shock: :(
Prayers for the the Ortiz family and their little baby.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby PJMIII » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:26 am

Jockeys Ocampo, Talamo Hospitalized After Spill

Riders were sent to the turf after the breakdown of Warrenscrystalized.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... fter-spill
PJMIII

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:After the QE II at Keeneland, I heard one of the TVG hosts say that Irad Ortiz had immediately left the track to fly home. Apparently he and his wife have been expecting their second child and, if I heard correctly, the baby was due in January. It arrived today, which would be very premature. :shock: :(
Prayers for the the Ortiz family and their little baby.

Anything more on this? Irad didn't miss a day of racing once he got back to NY. In fact, he's won eight races over the past two days at Belmont -- five on Thursday, three more Friday.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:40 am

I haven't heard or read anything...which makes me wonder if I heard the details about Irad correctly. :oops:
I know he was slated to ride in the race after the QEii, and that he was replaced because he left the track to return home. Pretty sure that there was something about a pregnancy and/or baby. :?
Oh well...maybe someone here 'follows' Irad on Twitter?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 pm

JOCKEY DOYLE RETRAINING FAVORITE MOUNT FOR SECOND CAREER
Three years after scoring a milestone victory aboard Jaz N Tap, jockey Sophie Doyle is back on track with the 6-year-old-gelding.

The two first became acquainted when Doyle was establishing her riding career in Kentucky after being a successful jockey in her native England. On Nov. 26, 2014, at Churchill Downs, she rode Jaz N Tap to win her first race in North America. The victory served as a steppingstone for Doyle, who has won more than 140 races here.

In May, trainer Larry Demeritte told Doyle that Jaz N Tap had been retired after earning $108,844 in 39 starts for owner and breeders Mervin and Barbara McNamara. Doyle had ridden the son of Jazil to three of his four wins.

“I asked Larry if I could have him,” Doyle said. “I told him I had been waiting for him to retire.”

Doyle has started reschooling Jaz N Tap for a new career as a lead pony in which he will accompany other Thoroughbreds to and from the track for their morning workouts. The gelding, who had his initial retraining at Demeritte’s nearby farm, here at Keeneland has received more advanced schooling in proper lead pony etiquette, which includes standing still as other horses cruise around the track.

“He is still racehorsey,” Doyle said. “He does not know he is retired.”

http://www.keeneland.com/about/jockey-doyle-retraining-favorite-mount-second-career
Sparrow Castle

Postby PJMIII » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:01 am

Sixth Straight Belmont Fall Meet Title for Brown

Jockey Irad Ortiz Jr. and owner Klaravich Stables also earn meet titles.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -for-brown
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 am

Gargan, Midwest Thoroughbreds splitting up

Danny Gargan and the Midwest Thoroughbreds stable of Richard Papiese are splitting up after 2 1/2 years together. Gargan's last two starters for Papiese will be Wednesday at Aqueduct.

Gargan, 46, trains Papiese's New York string. Papiese employs trainers in different regions of the country, including Roger Brueggerman, Tom Amoss, and Armando De la Cerda.

The 14 horses Papiese has with Gargan will be transferred to trainer Steve Asmussen, according to Gargan.

http://www.drf.com/news/gargan-midwest- ... -splitting
PJMIII

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 pm

This makes me so sad, Jack's been through so much this year.

Van Berg still training as he battles cancer
Hall of Fame trainer Jack Van Berg recently underwent surgery for cancer of his inner jaw but continues to train a stable that will move to Oaklawn Park in Arkansas shortly after the Churchill Downs fall meet ends Nov. 26.

Van Berg, 81, was diagnosed earlier this year with squamous cell carcinoma and underwent a second surgery Oct. 31 in Little Rock, Ark., in an attempt to eradicate the disease, said Van Berg’s son and assistant, Tom.

“Unfortunately, the latest operation failed to remove all of the affected cells,” said the younger Van Berg. “He has a scar from his ear to his Adam’s apple. He has another appointment Tuesday in Little Rock to see how best to proceed. The doctors are saying that at his age, chemotherapy and radiation are not options.”

More: http://www.drf.com/news/van-berg-still-training-he-battles-cancer
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing