Fillies and Mares - 2017

Re: Fillies and Mares - 2017

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Can we talk about Jerry Hollendorfer and his fillies?
Sircat Sally stayed undefeated winning the G2T Honeymoon Stakes at Santa Anita today. She's won six stakes, three of them graded, and gives the 'Dorf a fine grass filly to go with his dirt stars, Songbird and Unique Bella.
Oh...and she was ridden by Mike Smith. Maybe I should say, 'Mikey and HIS fillies?' :lol:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... eymoon-win

ETA: She's won seven in a row.
http://www.drf.com/news/sircat-sallys-v ... eymoon-win
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Point Given » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Vale Dori (ARG) (5-Year-Old Mare)
Date: June 17, 2017
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 47:40 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

Paradise Woods (3-Year-Old Filly)
Date: June 18, 2017
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Time: 48:20 Handily
Point Given

Postby PJMIII » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 am

Brandy (3-Year-Old Filly)
Date: June 22, 2017
Track: DELAWARE PARK
Time: 48:40 Breezing

----------

Heavenly Grace (3-Year-Old Filly)
Date: June 23, 2017
Track: BELMONT PARK
Time: 48:87 Breezing

-----------
PJMIII

Postby Treve » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am

I was wondering, do you think Baffert would send Abel Tasman to the Coaching Club American Oaks too? He said the Alabama was definitely in the works for her.
If she won these she'd be the first filly to sweep the NY Triple Tiara since they reconfigured the series in 2010, and the first filly to capture the title itself since Sky Beauty in 1993.
Songbird captured the latter two legs obviously but since she didn't run in the Acorn she didn't run in the series per se.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby stark » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Learn something every day...
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Boy, I have questions. :?
How did they find out she is an 'anatomical hermaphrodite?' Did something prompt them to scan her innards?
What male attributes does she have to qualify for hermaphrodite? Maybe a couple of underdeveloped, undescended testicles?
Does she still qualify for distaff races, or does she have to have the boy stuff removed? :?
She's a Tapit filly that is a sibling to a Grade 1 winner, and I would guess that she cost a pretty penny, so how many things were thrown at walls when the owner(s) discovered that she can't be bred?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:39 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Boy, I have questions. :?
How did they find out she is an 'anatomical hermaphrodite?' Did something prompt them to scan her innards?
What male attributes does she have to qualify for hermaphrodite? Maybe a couple of underdeveloped, undescended testicles?
Does she still qualify for distaff races, or does she have to have the boy stuff removed? :?
She's a Tapit filly that is a sibling to a Grade 1 winner, and I would guess that she cost a pretty penny, so how many things were thrown at walls when the owner(s) discovered that she can't be bred?

This article answers some questions.

'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
"They discovered it when she was born," Mandella said. "She has physical signs. We haven't see the other part—at least I haven't—but she's like a gelding. She's a racehorse. There's no reason she can't run, but she's not for breeding.

The aspect to her gender was not reported for the first nine races of her career, but both Mandella and Hammerle said that, because she is dropping in for a claiming tag for the first time Saturday, they felt it necessary to be transparent.

Mandella said Award It has been tested chromosomally and is registered as a filly to race because of that. California Horse Racing Board equine medical director Dr. Rick Arthur, who Hammerle said came up with the language in the program, clarified Award It's case.

"She is a filly," Arthur said. "Her registration papers say that and she has been tested. Chromosomally she is fully 'XX' (males are 'XY'), but she has malformed external genitalia. I have not examined her myself, but her testosterone levels are normal."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/222257/hermaphrodite-reported-before-race-at-santa-anita?utm_source=BHTW&utm_medium=social
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Award It won the 1st at Santa Anita. I wonder if anyone claimed her?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miss Woodford » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:58 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Boy, I have questions. :?

Sounds like she just has ambiguous external genitalia. Not to get too NSFW but if her testosterone levels are normal for a female (which according to her trainer they are) then she likely does not have testicles.
Miss Woodford

Postby Miss Woodford » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:00 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Award It won the 1st at Santa Anita. I wonder if anyone claimed her?

Ron Ellis won the 5-way shake for her.
Miss Woodford

PreviousNext

Return to Racing