3 YOs of 2017

Diver52

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Baffert found a NWIX for recent impressive maiden winner Reach the World and also Irish Freedom! Thursday at SA. Also entered is Battle of Midway, who disappointed in the San Vicente behind Iliad. 1 1/16 miles.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
tcw

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Diver52 wrote:Baffert found a NWIX for recent impressive maiden winner Reach the World and also Irish Freedom! Thursday at SA. Also entered is Battle of Midway, who disappointed in the San Vicente behind Iliad. 1 1/16 miles.
Great to hear this regarding the B2 pair... was wondering when/where they would show up next. Even though he's been working well, I just recently moved Irish Freedom from my top 12 list since he has just one start 6 months ago, albeit he was impressive in rallying to defeat Royal Mo going 6f. I'm really interested to see how both of the B2's perform. Reach the World was also impressive last out. If either or both perform well, there's definitely room for them to move up the list.
peeptoad

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 am

Anyone know what happened to Beach Bum?
Retrospectiv

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 am

peeptoad wrote:Anyone know what happened to Beach Bum?

Anyone know what happened to the first (1997 colt) Beach Bum Baffert trained? He was 3 for 4.... and no record of him after.
Gotta be a little odd, having two promising horses, with the same name, less than 15 years apart.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
peeptoad

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
peeptoad wrote:Anyone know what happened to Beach Bum?

Anyone know what happened to the first (1997 colt) Beach Bum Baffert trained? He was 3 for 4.... and no record of him after.
Gotta be a little odd, having two promising horses, with the same name, less than 15 years apart.
:shock:
Starine

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Haskin on Always Dreaming:
Want to know the real sneaky race of the weekend? Ask yourself this question: Can a front-running horse who crawls his half in :51 3/5 and 6 furlongs in 1:16 4/5 in a 1 1/8-mile allowance race run in a tortoise-like 1:53 2/5 at odds of 1-10 against an extremely weak field be considered a legitimate Derby horse? The answer is yes. When ALWAYS DREAMING won in a laugher by 4 lengths, it was the first race on the card and the track was like the beach after the wind had dried it out. Watching the son of Bodemeister walk to the gate, you could tell you were looking at an exceptional colt. He made a handsome picture and just had such a relaxed commanding presence about him. He shot out of the gate from the rail and just cruised around there in a public workout with John Velazquez not asking him in the slightest until inside the sixteenth pole.

That’s where the sneaky part comes in. Despite still being under wraps around the far turn and well into the stretch, he still was able to run that quarter in :24 1/5, followed by a :12 1/5 final eighth. When Velazquez finally started pushing on him in deep stretch he came home his final sixteenth in just about :06 flat. Yes, a horse going that slow early is supposed to come home fast, but he was still in a common gallop during those closing fractions. He then galloped out strongly, going the mile and a quarter in about 2:07 1/5. Yes, that sounds slow, but on that track, you can bet it put a lot of bottom in the horse. He will get his first and only class test in one of the major preps, where he’ll desperately need points. But the feeling here is that is a horse to keep an eye on, who you could have gotten at 42-1 in the latest Future Wager.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky ... -farm.aspx
Diver52

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

The current Beach Bum had some vague but theoretically short term issue. The first one did go on to sire a few foals, so at least he made it to retirement.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
blamethewinner

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Starine wrote:Haskin on Always Dreaming:
Want to know the real sneaky race of the weekend? Ask yourself this question: Can a front-running horse who crawls his half in :51 3/5 and 6 furlongs in 1:16 4/5 in a 1 1/8-mile allowance race run in a tortoise-like 1:53 2/5 at odds of 1-10 against an extremely weak field be considered a legitimate Derby horse? The answer is yes. When ALWAYS DREAMING won in a laugher by 4 lengths, it was the first race on the card and the track was like the beach after the wind had dried it out. Watching the son of Bodemeister walk to the gate, you could tell you were looking at an exceptional colt. He made a handsome picture and just had such a relaxed commanding presence about him. He shot out of the gate from the rail and just cruised around there in a public workout with John Velazquez not asking him in the slightest until inside the sixteenth pole.

That’s where the sneaky part comes in. Despite still being under wraps around the far turn and well into the stretch, he still was able to run that quarter in :24 1/5, followed by a :12 1/5 final eighth. When Velazquez finally started pushing on him in deep stretch he came home his final sixteenth in just about :06 flat. Yes, a horse going that slow early is supposed to come home fast, but he was still in a common gallop during those closing fractions. He then galloped out strongly, going the mile and a quarter in about 2:07 1/5. Yes, that sounds slow, but on that track, you can bet it put a lot of bottom in the horse. He will get his first and only class test in one of the major preps, where he’ll desperately need points. But the feeling here is that is a horse to keep an eye on, who you could have gotten at 42-1 in the latest Future Wager.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky ... -farm.aspx
What a bunch of hopeless drivel.

Always Dreaming may end up being a nice horse, but his race on Saturday was a complete and utter joke. He set an outrageously slow pace against horrendous competition.
Starine

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:18 am

Well, Haskin always has been the optimistic sort -- definitely gives horses the benefit of the doubt. ;)
slewobarney

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 am

Bobby On Fleek (3-Year-Old Colt). Trainer: Chad Brown

Date: March 06, 2017
Track: Belmont Park
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 49.96 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt training

Date: February 26, 2017
Track: Palm Meadows Training Center
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 48.9 Breezing
Surface: Dirt
Last edited by slewobarney on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 am

Who had those two works?
peeptoad

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:39 am

Diver52 wrote:The current Beach Bum had some vague but theoretically short term issue. The first one did go on to sire a few foals, so at least he made it to retirement.
Thanks Diver
PJMIII

Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 am

Aquamarine (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: March 7, 2017
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: One Mile
Time: 1.42:60 Handily
Surface: Dirt
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Britney Eurton‏ @BritneyEurton
Champagne Room came home today after a successful surgery removing an ankle chip. Will resume training in around 90 days #teameurton
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:37 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Britney Eurton‏ @BritneyEurton
Champagne Room came home today after a successful surgery removing an ankle chip. Will resume training in around 90 days #teameurton
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -bone-chip
Champagne Room, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2016, had surgery to remove a ankle chip March 8 and will require at least 90 days off before returning to training, if she returns at all.

Phil Bongiovanni, who co-owns Champagne Room under the name Gulliver Racing, said Wednesday night that the surgery was successful, but that the Broken Vow filly's ownership partners have not decided yet on whether she will race again. The other option under consideration would be to breed Champagne Room this year and sell her in foal.
stark

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Abel Tasman changes trainers, Callaghan to Baffert
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
peeptoad

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm

stark wrote:Abel Tasman changes trainers, Callaghan to Baffert
interesting
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Today Abel Tasman was removed from my barn. This move happened at the insistence of co-owner "China Horse Club". Although the filly..1/3
..should have run in their silks in the Santa Ysabel Stks she did not due to a mix-up which was no fault of ours and we apologized for....
...This mistake was impossible for "China Horse Club" to accept and they took the drastic step of removing her from our care...........
....."China Horse Club" may have brought new money to our sport but that is all it seems.

https://twitter.com/simon_callaghan?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The consensus appears to be that this was an overreaction on CHC's part, to say the least. Everyone expressing sympathy for Callaghan.
Owners get to call the shots, but that doesn't always make them right.
Interesting that Baffert gets the CHC horses, soon after one of HIS major owners (Shah) pulled his horses out of Baffert's barn.

ETA: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... lks-mix-up
carole

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Whilst I agree that CHC overreacted, I also think that was stupid by Callaghan to post stuff like that on Twitter. Talking crap about your clients is not going to bring you more. Just say she's no longer with you and say why, don't include your personal opinion on it!
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 pm

I tend to agree...discretion is something that all owners or potential owners value.
I remember when Maria B. had that rather public reaction to having Runhappy taken from her, and even those who sympathized with her (before we all learned what sort of horsewoman she really was :shock: ) felt she should have kept most of those complaints to herself.
I'm going to attribute Simon's response to being really blindsided and shocked by the move. And I believe he and his team loved that filly, so maybe most people will forgive him for going a bit too public.