3 YOs of 2017

Slewfan2

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Mike Welsch‏@DRFWelsch
Kiaran McLaughlin confirms Takaful will run in FOY after strong work this a.m. at PM under Paco Lopez, who will have the mount

http://www.xbtv.com/video/recent/takafu ... 25th-2017/

(Bernardini - Sablah by Distorted Humor; C, foaled February 22, 2014; Shadwell-McLaughlin)
I don't get this at all. I love Bernardini, I would love for him to have a Classic horse, but this horse is not it. At best he's a sprinter, and I'm not sure how good at that; I wish they weren't pushing him.
PJMIII

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 pm

El Areeb (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: February 26, 2017
Track: LAUREL PARK
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:80 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Jay Privman‏@DRFPrivman
Gormley worked 6f in 1:11 this am at Santa Anita. Shirreffs said Gormley or Royal Mo runs in San Felipe, other Rebel; won't be in same race
Diver52

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:39 pm

American Anthem worked 5F in 58.80 yesterday at Santa Anita; Mastery 6F in a leisurely 1.15 today.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:28 pm

I really liked Battalion Runner's win on Feb. 3 at Gulfstream (an allowance, IIRC?), but I just heard from the TVG guys that his next start won't be until the Florida Derby, which isn't until early April.
That's just two starts this year, and only three total, for a possible Derby starter? I know that trainers are giving their colts fewer and fewer preps these days, but...only two? And one of those only an allowance? Dang. :shock:
Squeaky

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Has B.R. Even had a work out since his last race? Wonder if there is something injury- wise up with him? Too bad.. I really like him too!
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 am

Sophomore Turf Star Made You Look To Get Dirt ‘Test’ In Fountain Of Youth
Let's Go Stable and Three Chimneys Farm's impressive turf sophomore Made You Look is scheduled to contest the G2 Fountain of Youth on Saturday at Gulfstream Park, according to drf.com, making the first start of his career on the main track. The son of More Than Ready, out of a daughter of Unbridled's Song, has a pair of graded stakes victories on the turf, but trainer Todd Pletcher wanted to give the colt a chance on the dirt.

“The horse has trained really well on dirt, he's got a dirt pedigree, at some point we wanted to test it,” said Pletcher. “He's doing real well at the moment. Now's the time. There are no real easy spots. We figured since he's here, we'll stay home and give it a try.”

A three-time winner from six starts, Made You Look's second dam is Grade 1 dirt winner Serena's Song. His graded victories came in Saratoga's G2 With Anticipation Stakes and Gulfstream's G3 Dania Beach Stakes. Most recently, Made You Look finished third after a rough trip in the listed Kitten's Joy Stakes at Gulfstream in early February.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/tripl ... ain-youth/
stark

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 pm

McCraken is out of Tampa Bay Derby with slight ankle strain per @BH_AHughes

and from DRF
McCRAKEN, the unbeaten colt who ranks as the current favorite for the May 6 Kentucky Derby, will miss his next scheduled prep race, the March 11 Tampa Bay Derby, after being diagnosed with what trainer Ian Wilkes described as a “very minor” injury to his left front ankle.

All was fine for McCraken following a Monday breeze at the Palm Meadows training center in Boynton Beach, Fla., but “we noticed he was a little off this morning,” Wilkes said Tuesday. “We x-rayed it and he’s clean, so that’s good. But I just want to give him a little time for the ankle to flatten down. We’ll use poultice and ice and everything and see how he does and hopefully he’ll get back to the track soon enough.”

Wilkes said the plan now is to go straight to the April 8 Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland for a final prep for the Derby and that he is optimistic that is a feasible plan.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Too bad. Hope he's going to be fine.
That's the thing about these months leading up to the Derby; no matter how good a colt looks, no matter how dominating he (or she) is in a prep race, you hold your breath waiting for the injuries to start showing up.
stark

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Diver52 wrote:American Anthem worked 5F in 58.80 yesterday at Santa Anita.
http://www.xbtv.com/video/recent/americ ... 26th-2017/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
slewobarney

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:07 am

Bobby On Fleek (3-Year-Old Colt). Trainer: Chad Brown

Date: February 26, 2017
Track: Palm Meadows Training Center
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 48.9 Breezing

Date: February 19, 2017
Track: Palm Meadows Training Center
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 48.9 Breezing
Last edited by slewobarney on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Classic Empire just can't seem to get away from his problems, which may now include a sore back.

Classic Empire has training session cut short, shows discomfort in back
By Jay Privman
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. – The curious odyssey of Classic Empire took another detour on Friday morning here at the Palm Meadows training center when he refused to break off for a potential workout, was taken off the track by jockey Julien Leparoux, and showed signs of favoring his back upon returning to trainer Mark Casse’s barn.

Read more: http://www.drf.com/news/classic-empire- ... mfort-back

I would be surprised if this colt can make the Derby gate in top form. The Derby is only two months away and CE keeps running into roadblocks. :(
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Michael Adolphson‏ @AdolphsonRacing
Per Stewart, SAINT'S FAN came back from a workout lame beyond repair & was sadly euthanized. More to come in today's @fairgroundsnola notes.

Michael Adolphson‏ @AdolphsonRacing
Stewart on SAINT'S FAN-"Very sad. He was special -they're all special- but he was very special to me." Good vibes to Dallas in a tough time.

Dallas Stewart is breeder, owner, trainer. Such a hard game.

I don't see anything in the barn notes yet.
http://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/news/barn-notes
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:12 pm

The Bodemeister colt, Always Dreaming, came into the 1st at Gulfstream with a big rep....and he lived up to it. Won for fun, and I don't think Johnny V. even showed him the whip.
Next race has got to be a prep with points. Wonder if he stays at Gulfstream and runs in the Florida Derby?
tcw

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The Bodemeister colt, Always Dreaming, came into the 1st at Gulfstream with a big rep....and he lived up to it. Won for fun, and I don't think Johnny V. even showed him the whip.
Next race has got to be a prep with points. Wonder if he stays at Gulfstream and runs in the Florida Derby?
Just mentioned AD in the 2017 KD thread... Pletcher confirmed major KD race next after the race and even considered the FOY today, but decided to hold off until his next start. He didn't say where, but have to think Florida Derby is a good possibility. Btw, what a beautiful specimen of a racehorse he is.
Tessablue

Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Very nice debut win by Timeline for Brown at Gulfstream. He'll go further than 7f.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Gormley points to San Felipe Stakes; Royal Mo to Rebel Stakes
ARCADIA, Calif. – Gormley, the winner of the Grade 3 Sham Stakes for 3-year-olds at a mile Jan. 7, is tentatively scheduled to start in the Grade 2 San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita on March 11, trainer John Shirreffs said on Saturday.
The rest is behind the paywall.
http://www.drf.com/news/preview/gormley ... bel-stakes
Diver52

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:50 pm

Cairo Healer (Giant's Causeway x Dixie Union mare), Del Mar debut winner for Baffert who then disappeared, is back on the work tab at SA. He was also the subject of some "pretty pony" comments. :)

BTW American Freedom also worked, I think for the first time since the Travers. Never read what went wrong.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Starine

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Diver52 wrote:BTW American Freedom also worked, I think for the first time since the Travers. Never read what went wrong.
He's a nice horse. Hopefully it was nothing and they just decided to give him time to grow up.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Favorites faltering in Points Races bolsters It’s Your Nickel’s Battaglia
http://www.brisnet.com/content/2017/03/ ... battaglia/