3 YOs of 2017

Re: 3 YOs of 2017

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm watching the field warm up for the 7th at Santa Anita, a 8 1/2-furlong AOC for 3yo, and this race could easily be a stakes.
Along with Irish Freedom, Reach the World and Battle of Midway, there is also a filly, Vexatious, in the race. She's a full to Creative Cause and Destin, so her pedigree for distance is primo.
Have to say the big grey, Reach the World, looks like he could be a monster.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:16 pm

Battle of Midway holds off Reach the World, who did himself no favors with some green behavior. RTW dropped out last and then had to come around to make a charge in the stretch. Pretty sure we'll see both colts in the Santa Anita Derby.
I might have been most impressed with Vexatious, who was jammed at the rail and had to find a way around the horses in front of her who started backing up approaching the stretch. When she finally got out, she had a pretty nice kick to get up for third. I hope we see her in an Oaks prep next out.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Paulick has a poll out on twitter:
Who do you believe in the Abel Tasman transfer saga (see DRF story). It was 74% Callaghan to 26% Baffert when I voted. (143 votes)

Abel Tasman in Callaghan-to-Baffert trainer switch
A phone call Thursday to China Horse Club representative Mick Flanagan seeking comment was disconnected during conversation. Flanagan did not return a phone message seeking comment.

The move was a major blow to Callaghan, who developed Abel Tasman from an unraced 2-year-old into one of the leading members of her division. The filly, by Quality Road, has won three of five starts and is considered a leading prospect for the Kentucky Oaks.

Baffert, who trains Kentucky Derby prospect American Anthem for an ownership group that includes China Horse Club, said he got the call Wednesday.

“I was surprised,” Baffert said. “They said they were going to move her no matter what, and they asked me.”

http://www.drf.com/news/abel-tasman-callaghan-baffert-trainer-switch
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Battle of Midway holds off Reach the World, who did himself no favors with some green behavior.

And when it comes to futurebook wagers, I'm guessing Brad Free is enjoying the potential of his $45 investment today.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Paulick has a poll out on twitter:
Who do you believe in the Abel Tasman transfer saga (see DRF story). It was 74% Callaghan to 26% Baffert when I voted. (143 votes)

Geesh, I don't know which is worse, Callaghan following Trump on Twitter with tears in his fingers, or Paulick thinking a poll like this will be informative?

As one of our posters said right here earlier this week regarding Abel,
blamethewinner wrote:If they ship her somewhere, hopefully it will be to a new trainer. Callaghan can't seem to keep horses healthy.

It really doesn't matter what the reason, a change was made, as fans we just need to turn the page and move along, there's more important things to worry about IMHO.
stark

Postby Starine » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Battle of Midway holds off Reach the World, who did himself no favors with some green behavior. RTW dropped out last and then had to come around to make a charge in the stretch. Pretty sure we'll see both colts in the Santa Anita Derby.
I might have been most impressed with Vexatious, who was jammed at the rail and had to find a way around the horses in front of her who started backing up approaching the stretch. When she finally got out, she had a pretty nice kick to get up for third. I hope we see her in an Oaks prep next out.

Lots of nice pedigrees for sure in that one -- I think the top three are all worth following going forward.

Thanks for your summary as I missed the race.
Starine

Postby Izvestia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:01 am

I don't follow him very closely, so maybe someone can tell me - other than Firing Line (who probably was just an unsound horse), who else has Callaghan not kept sound?
I mean - is he any worse than...uhh...(insert big name trainer here)?
Izvestia

Postby slewobarney » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Ok, I'll play Mon morning quarterback here. Unfortunately (maybe) for me, I missed (life got in the way) KD futures Pool 3 and didn't get to place my $10 Win bets on Gunnevera and J Boys Echo. I'll be fine, if I can still get the present 12-1 and 25-1 odds when Pool 4 comes around. There's a better chance of getting the 25-1 on JBE than the 12-1 on G when the pool ends on Apr 2. JBE is sked to go in the Bluegrass Apr 8 and G in the Fla Derby Apr 1. If G takes the FD, and he could the way he's progressing, he certainly won't stay at 12-1. The bottom line, at present, these are my 1, 2 picks in the KD.
slewobarney

Postby stark » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Reigning 2-year-old champion Classic Empire was back on the work tab for the first time since his disappointing third place finish in the Grade 2 Holy Bull on Jan. 28, breezing four furlongs in 48.80 Sunday morning at Palm Meadows.

"This was a very important work today, we had to get this done, and I thought he looked as good as he's ever looked," said Norman Casse, assistant to his father Mark Casse. "He was moving effortlessly. It was his first important step moving forward. We can't have any more hiccups."
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

West Coast, one of Baffert's well-touted team of sophomores, just won the 3rd at Santa Anita, a 1 1/16-mile MSW. Pretty hard to tell whether he's really good off that win, since the field (originally seven nicely-bred maidens) was pared down to just three when Fox Hill Farm's Unbridled's Song colt, Honor and Courage, was a vet scratch at the gate. :?
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Racing