Older Horses - 2017

Re: Older Horses - 2017

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:04 pm

I know Hoppertunity's name has come up as a possible World Cup entrant, but what about Mor Spirit? Is it possible that he may end up on the plane to Dubai, as well?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Starine » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I know Hoppertunity's name has come up as a possible World Cup entrant, but what about Mor Spirit? Is it possible that he may end up on the plane to Dubai, as well?

I wonder if he might start in the Godolphin Mile, but then again that's just pure speculation on my part.
Starine

Postby slewobarney » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:57 am

Matt King Coal won the 3rd at Laurel Feb18 an AOC at 1mi by 4 1/4 in 1:35 I.Ortiz/L.Rice in his 1st race since Nov30.

Below is from DRF, Mike Watchmaker:
"Ortiz guided the talented Matt King Coal to a front-running score in the very next race, and with the choice to put that horse anywhere on the track he wanted, he smartly kept him away from the rail every step."
slewobarney

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:06 pm

5yo Fox Hill Farms runner Kentuckian got back on track with a win at Santa Anita this week in an AOC race. Hope he does well this year!

9yo Forest Mouse will seek his 3rd consecutive win this Sunday (2/26/17) at Sunland Park in the Curribot Handicap. Once again facing his old standing rival,
8yo g , Ol Winedrinker Who. Go get 'em Mouse...

Curribot H. - $75,000 Purse - 1 and 1/16 Miles - Race 7 - 4:03pm

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Starine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:5yo Fox Hill Farms runner Kentuckian got back on track with a win at Santa Anita this week in an AOC race. Hope he does well this year

I still remember his remarkable debut. He's never been able to string together very many races; I hope he has all of his physical issues behind him because he clearly has some ability.
Starine

Postby Starine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Mind Your Biscuits set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ark-sprint
Starine

Postby Northport » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 am

Starine wrote:Mind Your Biscuits set for Gulfstream Park Sprint

Did I miss the memo where 22 year old Robert Falcone Jr got sacked as MYB's trainer? It was a nice story to follow last fall, but now co-owner Chad Summers has taken out his license and trains the horse.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 am

Northport wrote:

Did I miss the memo where 22 year old Robert Falcone Jr got sacked as MYB's trainer? It was a nice story to follow last fall, but now co-owner Chad Summers has taken out his license and trains the horse.

This DRF article on 2/9 was first I read about it, and his plans.

New trainer Summers ready to start fast with Mind Your Biscuits
Mind Your Biscuits was trained as a 2-year-old by Rodriguez, then for his last nine starts by 23-year-old Robert Falcone Jr. Summers said it pained him to take the horse away from Falcone.

“Robby did a great job with him,” Summers said. “I’m sure we’ll do business together again in the future. He’s a great kid with a promising future and an excellent opinion.”

Summers said the 6 1/2-furlong Gulfstream Sprint could serve as a prep for the $2 million Golden Shaheen on the March 25 Dubai World Cup undercard at Meydan.

http://www.drf.com/news/new-trainer-summers-ready-start-fast-mind-your-biscuits
Sparrow Castle

Postby Point Given » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Malibu Sunset (4-Year-Old Colt)

Date: February 23, 2017
Track: FAIR GROUNDS
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.01:00 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

Last race was April 2016 (7th in the California Chrome Stakes). He has been working steadily at the Fair Grounds. Anyone know if he is still with Baffert or had another trainer change?
Point Given

Postby Horsebagger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Sheets are narrowing this down between Unified and Mind Your Biscuits (yeah, thanks for that, right?) Both seriously fast animals who are going to be factors in the G1 Carter, and ultimately the Met Mile if they can stay in one piece.

Mind Your Biscuits showing two low 3s late in his 3-yo year and with a little rest and training strongly, should be right there again with a big effort.

Unified debuted with an 8, then paired up a couple of 4 1/4s before disappointing in his first two turn race at Monmouth. Long layoff ensued, but word is that he's training strongly for his return. But will he be fit enough first back to throw a big effort good enough to deal with the Biscuit? And if he could, the question is SHOULD he, given the bigger races are ahead. G1 wins help the stallion deal with Lane's End, G3s don't, so motivation here is questionable. But he showed he could be special in his first few starts, so the 0s and 1s are coming eventually if he stays sound. It's just a matter of when.

Biscuit gets the better draw, as the rail and coming off the freshening, Unified is likely blasting out of there, with Delta Bluesman and Early Entry sitting off him and keeping him honest. Which sets up the stretch run question of whether Biscuit can run him down.

I'll play both in the Late P4 and enjoy the first of probable multiple battles the first half of the year between these two. Slight advantage goes to Mind Your Biscuits this weekend, but down the line there is more upside to Unified, imo.

Nice race for a G3 February sprint stake.
Horsebagger

PreviousNext

Return to Racing