Older Horses - 2017

Re: Older Horses - 2017

Postby WarBiscuit » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:22 pm

9yo Forest Mouse didn't feel like running today - came in 6th (last) in the Zia Park Sprint Stakes. He's had a pretty good year, and probably needs a rest although
his age may be starting to catch up to him. I'm guessing regional stud duty is in the cards in the not too distant future...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Point Given » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Mubtaahij (IRE) (5-Year-Old Horse)
Date: November 21, 2017
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 49:80 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Point Given

Postby stark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Point Given wrote:Mubtaahij (IRE) (5-Year-Old Horse)
Date: November 21, 2017
Time: 49:80 Handily

Racing Saturday @ Del Mar.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby PJMIII » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 am

Gettysburg (4-Year-Old Colt)
Date: November 27, 2017
Track: FAIR GROUNDS
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.01:60 Breezing
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 am

Gettysburg (4-Year-Old Colt)
Date: November 27, 2017
Track: FAIR GROUNDS
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.01:60 Breezing
PJMIII

Postby Point Given » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Cat Burglar (7-Year-Old Horse)
Date: November 28, 2017
Time: 48:80 Breezing

Masochistic (7-Year-Old Gelding)
Date: November 28, 2017
Time: 48:60 Handily
Point Given

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:‘Toast’ Could Return To Racing
Toast Of New York (Thewayyouare), winner of the 2014 G2 UAE Derby and second by a nose in that year’s GI Breeders’ Cup Classic, could return to training, Al Shaqab racing advisor Harry Herbert told the TDN on Friday. The 6-year-old stood his first season in Qatar last year but, with the small nature of the Thoroughbred breeding industry in that country, covered few mares. Herbert said Toast Of New York has been shipped back to the UK and is currently undergoing veterinary inspection to determine if a return to racing is possible.

“Toast Of New York is actually back in the UK at the moment, just looking at the possibility of getting him back on the racetrack,” Herbert said. “He sustained an injury that stopped him from running so he went to stud. He could stay [in Qatar] and not breed many mares, but we wanted to at least have a look to see if he could withstand training again. Duncan Moir, Al Shaqab’s vet, is on the case and we’re going to take it one step at a time but we might yet see him back on the track.”

Trained by Jamie Osborne initially for owner Michael Buckley, Toast Of New York made three starts in the U.S. after his UAE Derby win, finishing sixth in the GI Belmont Derby before filling second in both the Pacific Classic and Breeders’ Cup Classic. Toast Of New York was purchased privately by Al Shaqab thereafter but suffered a soft tissue injury while preparing for the 2015 G1 Dubai World Cup. An attempt was made to rehabilitate the horse from the injury but he was ultimately retired in late 2015.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/toast-could-return-to-racing/#.WLCG8hAuP8l.twitter

Looks like he's a go...

Osborne star Toast Of New York to make shock return at Lingfield
Breeders' Cup Classic runner-up Toast Of New York is to make a shock return to action at Lingfield next week, trainer Jamie Osborne revealed on Wednesday.

The Al Shaqab-owned colt, who retired to stud in Qatar in 2015 after sustaining an injury that prevented him from running in the Dubai World Cup, will be entered in the Class 2 Betway Conditions Stakes at Lingfield next Wednesday.

Osborne, speaking on At The Races, said: "Toast Of New York is back with us and tomorrow he's going to be entered in a race at Lingfield next Wednesday.

"He hasn't run for three years – he's been to Doha and spent time out there. I'm very grateful to Al Shaqab and their team, and Harry Herbert, for allowing me the chance to have another go with him."

https://www.racingpost.com/news/osborne-star-toast-of-new-york-to-make-shock-return-at-lingfield/310392
Sparrow Castle

Postby Starine » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 am

Surprised when I read about this earlier in the day but I wish him well. It would be something if he could still perform at the graded/group level after such a long layoff.
Starine

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 am

Are these the only two choices available for this horse?
1) Stand at stud in Qatar, where he only draws a few mares, or
2) Return to racing, even though both an old injury and the long layoff could suggest that this might not go swimmingly?
Is he not wanted at any other stud farm? Or is Thewayyouare just not very fashionable at the sales ATM? :?
He was a nice racehorse, so I wish him well.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Northport » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:52 pm

I am a big fan of the horse, so I don't mind seeing him back in action, but after such a long layoff, and being owned by Al Shaqab, can't he just stand at literally any other stud farm, like their own Haras d'Bouquetot. Or, if he isn't going to attract mares there (personally I don't see him attracting mares anywhere), can't they just turn him out or geld him and retrain him, like what Godolphin did with Reckless Abandon. That horse was infertile, he returned to training, flopped, was gelded, and is now a polo pony.

The only horse I can recall doing well upon returning from an unsuccessful stint at a stallion career is Al Kazeem, but maybe TONY can defy the odds, though I am not optimistic.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

PreviousNext

Return to Racing