Older Horses - 2017

Re: Older Horses - 2017

Postby Miss Woodford » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Does Tale of Verve have a new career? I still have him in a Virtual Stable and saw he has recent published workouts at Tapeta Farm, but I wasn't expecting this.

Tres‏ @F_AbbottIII 8h8 hours ago
Tale Of Verve formerly 2nd in 2015 @PreaknessStakes wins 2 mile amateur flat race at the Fair Hill Point-To-Point for Michael Dickinson.

Replying to @F_AbbottIII @PreaknessStakes

Oh cool, I always check NSA entries for any familiar names but forgot to check the nonsanctioned entries as well.
http://www.centralentryoffice.com/entri ... ights.aspx

Most notably, he's apparently still a stallion.
Miss Woodford

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Does Tale of Verve have a new career? I still have him in a Virtual Stable and saw he has recent published workouts at Tapeta Farm, but I wasn't expecting this.

Tale Of Verve formerly 2nd in 2015 @PreaknessStakes wins 2 mile amateur flat race at the Fair Hill Point-To-Point for Michael Dickinson.

Replying to @F_AbbottIII @PreaknessStakes

Oh cool, I always check NSA entries for any familiar names but forgot to check the nonsanctioned entries as well.
http://www.centralentryoffice.com/entri ... ights.aspx

Most notably, he's apparently still a stallion.

Interesting, for several reasons. My guess is that C F Farms is owner/breeder Charles Fipke's. Guess it's time to take him out of the VS, had hoped he'd return to that Preakness form. Thanks for the link!
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Just because he ran in a two-mile flat race, does that mean he's retired? Maybe his connections like the idea of moving him into staying races and this was a way to see how he did, in an amateur setting?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:08 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Just because he ran in a two-mile flat race, does that mean he's retired? Maybe his connections like the idea of moving him into staying races and this was a way to see how he did, in an amateur setting?

That occurred to me and it's possible. But his most recent win was in an allowance race last summer at Saratoga, then four races off the board. Granted two of them were graded stakes and in the Woodward he had somewhat of an excuse. I really liked him as my long shot in the Marathon last Nov, but he didn't have it. He seemed to go downhill from there.

When I saw he was in training at Tapeta Farm, where Dickinson has all sorts of rehab equipment, I wondered if he had gotten a bit "ouchy" in places (not that they have to be injured to go to a horse spa heaven). It's great that he won the point-to-point and maybe Dickinson worked his magic. I would love to see him get a graded stakes win and prosper. Dunno, but I'm running out of room in the VS again because...you know...two year olds.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Miss Woodford » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Just because he ran in a two-mile flat race, does that mean he's retired? Maybe his connections like the idea of moving him into staying races and this was a way to see how he did, in an amateur setting?

That occurred to me and it's possible. But his most recent win was in an allowance race last summer at Saratoga, then four races off the board. Granted two of them were graded stakes and in the Woodward he had somewhat of an excuse. I really liked him as my long shot in the Marathon last Nov, but he didn't have it. He seemed to go downhill from there.

When I saw he was in training at Tapeta Farm, where Dickinson has all sorts of rehab equipment, I wondered if he had gotten a bit "ouchy" in places (not that they have to be injured to go to a horse spa heaven). It's great that he won the point-to-point and maybe Dickinson worked his magic. I would love to see him get a graded stakes win and prosper. Dunno, but I'm running out of room in the VS again because...you know...two year olds.

Most likely he's in training as a jumps horse. Jumps trainers use these "training flat races" as a warm-up or prep for races over fences. On the other hand it is Dickinson and he does things differently, so perhaps we will see Tale of Verve on the flat after all.

Sanctioned hurdle races are in Equibase so you can keep him in your VS either way :)
Miss Woodford

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:

Most likely he's in training as a jumps horse. Jumps trainers use these "training flat races" as a warm-up or prep for races over fences. On the other hand it is Dickinson and he does things differently, so perhaps we will see Tale of Verve on the flat after all.

Sanctioned hurdle races are in Equibase so you can keep him in your VS either way :)

Alright you convinced me, if only out of curiosity now. If I can keep Lady Yeats in the VS, I can keep Tale of Verve too.

Miss Woodford, If you see Lady Yeats show up in a non-sanctioned race while you're checking, I'd sure love to know (big fan of Yeats). Her last race in Equibase was 11/19/2016 at Camden.
Sparrow Castle

Postby katmandu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Perhaps he'll encounter Mr. Hot Stuff, they can talk about old times. . .
katmandu

Postby Miss Woodford » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:That occurred to me and it's possible. But his most recent win was in an allowance race last summer at Saratoga, then four races off the board. Granted two of them were graded stakes and in the Woodward he had somewhat of an excuse. I really liked him as my long shot in the Marathon last Nov, but he didn't have it. He seemed to go downhill from there.

Alright you convinced me, if only out of curiosity now. If I can keep Lady Yeats in the VS, I can keep Tale of Verve too.

Miss Woodford, If you see Lady Yeats show up in a non-sanctioned race while you're checking, I'd sure love to know (big fan of Yeats). Her last race in Equibase was 11/19/2016 at Camden.

It would appear that the race at Camden was her most recent race at any track. Though the 2017 jumps season is still young.
Miss Woodford

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Most likely he's in training as a jumps horse. Jumps trainers use these "training flat races" as a warm-up or prep for races over fences. On the other hand it is Dickinson and he does things differently, so perhaps we will see Tale of Verve on the flat after all.

It would appear that the race at Camden was her most recent race at any track. Though the 2017 jumps season is still young.

Thanks for checking. Yeah, she could have had the winter off. All I know about her owner is she also raced Demonstrative, don't know if she has a breeding operation. Lady Yeats is out of a Giant's Causeway mare, seems good for jumps. I hope she finds success there.

Katmandu, She very well could run in the same crowd as Mr. Hot Stuff! I'd love to see it, if she gets good enough.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Hah, speaking of the gorgeously hot Mr. Hot Stuff...
Peter Millen‏ @fynmere 1h1 hour ago
Sat 4/22 is 97th @MiddleburgRaces & return of Gil Johnston's "Mr Hot Stuff" in The Temple Gwathmey (G3-NSA) which he won in 2015; @tl_webb
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing