Favorite Photos of Race Horses

Miss Woodford

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:12 am

"The Savage", Great Prospector biting Golden Derby in the 1980 Tremont Stakes
Red Rum training at Southport Beach
McDynamo and his old jockey Jody Petty at a ceremony honoring McDynamo's induction into the Hall of Fame
Man o Taz

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:50 pm

I love this pic of American Pharoah finishing the Preakness clean as a whistle...

And I also really like this shot of Honor Code winning the Met Mile...

And this one of Dr. Fager winning the Withers...seemingly all alone

Kelso winning the 1962 Woodward with an amazing crowd in the background...
Last edited by Man o Taz on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
aethervox

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:01 pm

One of my favorites is the photo of Ron Turcotte looking back during Secretariat's Belmont stretch run

Another favorite is Man o' War drinking from the gold cup after his match race with Sir Barton; this same cup is awarded to the Travers Stakes Winners.

The full story can be found here: https://thevaulthorseracing.wordpress.c ... rs-trophy/
Man o Taz

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:07 pm

I love pics of Al Khazeem runniing

And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Della

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:36 pm

I love, love, love this thread. Thanks to all for sharing these terrific pictures. Please keep them coming.
serenassong

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:32 pm

stark wrote:Not sure what makes a photo a favorite, but if it means one I'll never forget it has to be Chris Antley and Charismatic.

God Bless the Ant Man. He saved the horse, but couldnt save himself. R. I. P.

And, in case you didnt notice- Charismatic arrived back in the US almost to the day on the 16th anniversary of his death.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:15 pm

aethervox wrote:One of my favorites is the photo of Ron Turcotte looking back during Secretariat's Belmont stretch run
With respect, Ronnie was actually looking at the timer on the tote board at that moment. He wanted to know how close they were to a record. I was in the clubhouse stands that June day in 1973 and remember it as if the race occurred this morning. Belmont splits: :46 1/5, 1:09 4/5, 1:59, 2:24. No one could believe the time, and the question on almost everyone's lips was, "How much did he win by?" No one knew until it was measured that Secretariat had won by 31 lengths, but everyone knew they had witnessed one of the truly rare sports events in history. And you know what? Secretariat wasn't even blowing all that hard when they led him to the winners circle.

This famous close up by Neil Leifer of Sport Illustrated of the same moment shows where Ronnie was looking then (but he did look back at the field once as Secretariat rounded the far turn into the stretch):

Ridan_Remembered

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:19 pm

serenassong wrote:God Bless the Ant Man. He saved the horse, but couldnt save himself. R. I. P.

And, in case you didnt notice- Charismatic arrived back in the US almost to the day on the 16th anniversary of his death.
Yes, indeed, God bless Chris Antley with the peace the man never found in life. Charismatic is home and I, for one, am deeply grateful to Chris and everyone else who made it possible for that wonderful horse to live a long life and return to Kentucky.
TapitsGal

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 pm

I can't pick a favorite I like too many horses
Le Beau Bai

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 am

Long Run leading Denman and Kauto Star after the last fence at Cheltenham on the way to winning the Gold Cup.

Thistlecrack who is now three from three over fences.

Hurricane Fly who won 22 Grade 1 races before retiring last year (Photo - Healy Racing)

Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Afrashad

Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:25 am

Cavalryman winning the Princess Of Wales's Stakes in the rain at Newmarket.

Man o Taz

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Great shot of Cavalryman...

I have always like this shot of Dr. Fager, too.
-Bedouin Legend

stark

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:29 am

This Morning @ Keeneland
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Della

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Looking at that lovely picture Stark posted of Keeneland on this snowy morning, I'm struck by how few (any?) USA horses train in quarter sheets during the winter compared with UK horses who universally seem to wear those red/yellow/black woollen exercise blankets.
Treve

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Della wrote:Looking at that lovely picture Stark posted of Keeneland on this snowy morning, I'm struck by how few (any?) USA horses train in quarter sheets during the winter compared with UK horses who universally seem to wear those red/yellow/black woollen exercise blankets.
I think the difference would be in management?
Here in Canada whether we use exercise sheets is entirely dependent on whether the horse is clipped or not, and whether the horse is clipped or not depends on whether it was preventively blanketed.
The horses that are blanketed preventively still grow a bit of a winter coat but it is not very thick or long. It still gives them enough protection that while working they won't get cold, and using a quarter sheet would cause them to over-sweat, which in turn would elevate the risk of them getting cold.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Macaroni

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Looking for my legitimate favorites, but in the meantime, here's one of Runhappy that always makes me laugh because it looks like he's a man with a horse's head, taking an important business call on a cell phone:

Private Thoughts

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:29 pm

One of my favorite photos; Alydar in the snow. (Photo by Lee P Thomas)

Man o Taz

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. Truly special pictures.

I was trying to find a picture of Bernardini in the mud because he loved it when I saw him at Darley once. They do not want these pictures out there and came up with this one instead...
-Bedouin Legend

stark

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 pm

guess who? ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Songbird?