Classic Empire

Re: Classic Empire

Postby katmandu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:21 pm

The connection with spring and abscesses is probably about horses getting on to lush spring grass and getting some white line separation due to it - which is not a good thing in any case. . . . That allows debri to work its way up under the hoof wall. I wouldn't guess that is CE's issue. . . .
katmandu

Postby MySaladDays » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:39 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
bare it all wrote:I wish they'd geld him. Because you know breeders are going to forget all about this and line up for him next spring.

Ever look at the pedigree of the Frankel filly Soul Stirring? who kicked butt in the Japanese Oaks? All that great German blood (meaning drug-free blood.) Race-day med users are banned from breeding in that country. Ditto, Animal Kingdom's pedigree.

If we're gonna talk about gelding, maybe we should start gelding all the bleeders and drug addicts we are breeding. Because it mounts up over time, and there have been enough articles written about it, to the point where at some point in the not so distant future, the US horse breeding will suffer for it.

Meanwhile, hoof abcesses are very common. Could come from even a slight bruise that "goes south". And other stuff:
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/26808/ ... -in-horses
MySaladDays

Postby Life At Zen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 am

The notion that this abscess is genetic related is hilarious. Horses abscess all the time. It's likely from the unresolved issue he had in April that kept him from the Derby. Casse even said the day they withdrew him that he could've popped the abscess that night and would've been fine and 100% sound, which is true, but they didn't want to push him and wanted to give him a rest.

Of all the things to complain about when it comes to stallions....
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby stark » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:34 pm

From DRF Friday morning....

The abscess on Classic Empire’s right front foot that forced him to miss Saturday’s 149th Belmont Stakes busted open Thursday night, providing relief to the horse and allowing his connections to treat the infirmity.

“He’s much better today, still not perfect, but better,” trainer Mark Casse said. “It’s continuing to drain.”

Casse said that Classic Empire has begun being treated with ant-inflammatories and tentatively is scheduled to ship back to Churchill Downs by van on Monday.

“We’re hoping he’s comfortable enough to travel on Monday,” Casse said. “He could technically start back training middle or the end of next week. … If all goes well we’ll be at the Haskell.”
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Treve » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 am

katmandu wrote:The connection with spring and abscesses is probably about horses getting on to lush spring grass and getting some white line separation due to it - which is not a good thing in any case. . . . That allows debri to work its way up under the hoof wall. I wouldn't guess that is CE's issue. . . .

I was thinking more of the humidity, wet grass and mud that would exploit a weakness left by his previous abscess that didn't get a chance to properly fill out.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby katmandu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Treve wrote:
katmandu wrote:The connection with spring and abscesses is probably about horses getting on to lush spring grass and getting some white line separation due to it - which is not a good thing in any case. . . . That allows debri to work its way up under the hoof wall. I wouldn't guess that is CE's issue. . . .

I was thinking more of the humidity, wet grass and mud that would exploit a weakness left by his previous abscess that didn't get a chance to properly fill out.

My post wasn't aimed specifically at you. And your scenario is a possibility, although CE is a "house horse" and they would have been all over that foot. Stuff happens.

If a horse can not be properly balanced due to leg conformation, they will be prone to quarter cracks and abscessing, there can be a genetic component in there. Crappy hoof walls, underslung heels, anything that compromises hoof mechanics/function. It's all about why.
katmandu

Postby Starine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Hovdey: For want of a healthy hoof, a classic was lost
http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-want-hea ... c-was-lost
Starine

Postby Treve » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:41 am

Starine wrote:Hovdey: For want of a healthy hoof, a classic was lost
http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-want-hea ... c-was-lost

Honestly if his stars align in the second half of the 3yo season, the voting for champ 3yo is going to be weird, methinks.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby Treve » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 am

katmandu wrote:
Treve wrote:

My post wasn't aimed specifically at you. And your scenario is a possibility, although CE is a "house horse" and they would have been all over that foot. Stuff happens.

If a horse can not be properly balanced due to leg conformation, they will be prone to quarter cracks and abscessing, there can be a genetic component in there. Crappy hoof walls, underslung heels, anything that compromises hoof mechanics/function. It's all about why.

I know, you weren't aiming it specifically at me, I was just adding to my prior comment on the topic, it is a discussion forum after all :)
And while CE is a 'house horse' TBs do work on dirt tracks in all kinds of conditions every day, and are often hand grazed and fully bathed every day in some ways that might make them more vulnerable than horses with regular turnout but who only work in indoor arenas.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby Kay16 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Life At Zen wrote:The notion that this abscess is genetic related is hilarious. Horses abscess all the time. It's likely from the unresolved issue he had in April that kept him from the Derby. Casse even said the day they withdrew him that he could've popped the abscess that night and would've been fine and 100% sound, which is true, but they didn't want to push him and wanted to give him a rest.

Of all the things to complain about when it comes to stallions....

Almost* kept him from the Derby ;)
Kay16

PreviousNext

Return to Racing