Winx

Re: Winx

Postby stark » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't watch much international racing so please forgive my naive questions....

I noticed just before they were loading into the gate, an outrider handed a plastic bottle of water to a jockey and he took a couple swigs. Can't say I've ever seen that in America, maybe I just missed it or is there a rule against it here? Gotta think on some hot days it would be welcome relief, no?

Along the same lines, another jock was handed an Egyptian Cotton bath towel which he rubbed his horse's neck down with getting rid of the sweat. Here in the states I often times see a jock resort to using his whip to swipe off the lather but never a towel. Another rule perhaps because it makes perfect sense, no?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, riders are handed towels and water as they circle around behind the gate. That probably works better for Aussie racing because their grass tracks are wide, providing plenty of room as the horses circle behind a gate for some time before being loaded.
The assistant starters do NOT get in each stall with the horse, unlike racing here. There are also no mounted outriders positioned around the track to catch loose horses or be first on the scene to help injured horses/riders.
IMO, the towels and water are a good thing, but the lack of outriders (and that is true for most foreign racing) is not. I've seen a loose horse make a half dozen laps around one of Japan's huge tracks after tossing his rider at the gate. The race was delayed for about 15 minutes as attendants just watched the horse, waiting for him to get so exhausted that someone could finally just walk up to him.
It is so easy for a horse to injure itself running at top speed for so long, and the long loose reins made it worse. :(
I think North America is the only racing jurisdiction where the gate crew stays in the stall with the horses. Everywhere else, the horses are either led in by a starter who then ducks out the front and leaves, or guided in from the rear. Starters will generally leave restless horses alone and only intervene when one really freaks out.
Foreign gate crews are quick to use a blindfold, but seldom have a rider dismount or open the stall door when a horse is reluctant to load. And they don't mess around with a stubborn horse for long; if a horse has refused to load for long enough, the starter will just send the field off, leaving the unwilling entrant standing behind the gate. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IMO, the towels and water are a good thing,

Are there rules prohibiting either of them here in the states, thanks just curious.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 am

Chris Waller Racing @cwallerracing
Good Afternoon,
Please see below an update regarding Winx and her immediate racing future.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Treve » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 am

Well, that's a bummer :(
Nonetheless here's to hoping she remains sound, healthy and victorious throughout the rest of her career!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Kurenai » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:24 am

That's just.... blaaaah. I don't get why they changed their mind, unless they have the feeling that she's lost a step and isn't 100%. It's possible, she gets older. If I think - as an owner - that I wouldn't do my horse any favors sending it over to run only 3rd, cause it's not in top form, then I wouldn't do so. But then at least say so instead of giving some lame excuses like "it's a different season over there". You knew that from the get go.
Kurenai

Postby Saintly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 am

Kurenai wrote:That's just.... blaaaah. I don't get why they changed their mind, unless they have the feeling that she's lost a step and isn't 100%. It's possible, she gets older. If I think - as an owner - that I wouldn't do my horse any favors sending it over to run only 3rd, cause it's not in top form, then I wouldn't do so. But then at least say so instead of giving some lame excuses like "it's a different season over there". You knew that from the get go.

I reckon a crack at an unprecedented 4th Cox Plate was always priority 1

There's no pressing reason to campaign her o/s. Not like she's a stallion they are trying to promote as a potential dual hemisphere sire
Saintly

Postby Starine » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 am

I'm okay with this because, as remarkable as she is to keep winning, she looked beatable in her last. Or at least vulnerable.

I wouldn't want her to venture overseas unless she was at her best.
Starine

Postby Flanders » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:38 am

Maybe she isn't a great shipper? Maybe they would rather she stay home and make an extra start or two. Maybe they don't want to risk their champion shipping her around the world.
They weighed risk vs. reward and didn't find it worth pursuing. There is nothing wrong with that.
Flanders

Postby SSilence86 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 am

This a break down of her George Ryder Stakes from Daily Sectionals.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/win ... 4z65g.html
SSilence86

PreviousNext

Return to Racing