Winx

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:31 pm

IF her connections are bold enough to send her to Royal Ascot, which race do you guys think will fit her best? Eight furlongs, like the Chipping Norton? Or ten furlongs, which I think is the distance for the Cox?
I wonder if the fact that she started her 2018 campaign one race later than originally planned will leave her stronger when June rolls around, and better able to handle the long trip.
carole

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IF her connections are bold enough to send her to Royal Ascot, which race do you guys think will fit her best? Eight furlongs, like the Chipping Norton? Or ten furlongs, which I think is the distance for the Cox?
I wonder if the fact that she started her 2018 campaign one race later than originally planned will leave her stronger when June rolls around, and better able to handle the long trip.
Queen Anne Stakes for sure. The Prince of Wales' is more testing in my opinion as the course is very difficult and it honestly makes the 10F distance seem longer, or at least that's how I feel about it but I might be wrong.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:07 pm

carole wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IF her connections are bold enough to send her to Royal Ascot, which race do you guys think will fit her best? Eight furlongs, like the Chipping Norton? Or ten furlongs, which I think is the distance for the Cox?
Queen Anne Stakes for sure. The Prince of Wales' is more testing in my opinion as the course is very difficult and it honestly makes the 10F distance seem longer, or at least that's how I feel about it but I might be wrong.
Yeah, I think last year there was talk about sending her to the Lockinge and then the Queen Anne Stakes. Maybe they would considered that this year.
Treve

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Would love to see this wonder mare take on the world.
As for the distance the Queen Anne is certainly very comfortably in her wheelhouse.
I think she could handle the Prince of Wales, but I admit I haven't paid attention to what the furthest distance she's won at is and how testing or not the course would be for her, subsequently.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Ioya Two

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:55 pm

She's more than capable at ten. Personally I think 9f is her optimum trip.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Saintly

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 am

Ioya Two wrote:Never did I ever think I'd even see Black Caviar's record broken. I've seen every win by this amazing mare, and I cannot honestly think other than the '16 Cox Plate, a race won by such EASE. Went from zero to 90 in three seconds. The acceleration is ridiculous. She is crazy. What can you say? What other records does she have left to break? She's already the best horse to ever grace Australian turf. I had a lump and a tear watching that.
Not sure I can go along with the bolded bit

She won as she should have. If you go through the form you'll realise that was a truly horrid field for a G1 mile race. Horrid. Still, credit to the owners of the beaten brigade. There was good prize money to be had for jogging across the line in her wake.

I hope Winx does go to Europe. I'd like to see just how good she is. We won't find out here as the middle distance ranks are very light on for quality. As opposed to Black Caviar who demolished quality turf sprinting fields time after time
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love her. But this race looked visually more impressive than it was, cause she didn't beat much. I do agree with Saintly. BC beat (usually and on average) a tougher competition than Winx. And of course it's not her fault, she can only beat who shows up. I really do hope that they send her over to Europe and give her the opportunity to show how good she is!

I'd also guess that they go for the Queen Ann. The Prince of Wales might be too taxing for her. I don't doubt that she can get 10f in Australia, but with the course in the prince wales, those 10f will feel a lot more like 11 or 12 for her.
Ioya Two

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm

I loved them both. I still do think Winx is the best I've ever seen, and therein it's a problem. Aussie racing is SO good and popular here in the states now. There seems to be on average, a horse every 8 years or so who wins and beats everything. So who knows what we'll say a few years from now. I fully admit to being biased at least a little. Phar Lap, Kingston Town, Lonhro, Sunline, BC and now Winx. Who else would someone pick? I guess if she was a sprinter it'd be easier to make the claim as sprints are the main game.
Pulpit 1994-2012
carole

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm

There was a stat floating around somewhere that Winx has beaten 52 individual Group/Grade 1 winners in her 26 victories. Seems pretty impressive to me!

ETA: Found a tweet referring to it:
Candice Hare
@CandiceHare_
Mind-blowing stat ahead of Winx's return in the G1 Chipping Norton: in her 26 victories, she's beaten a total of 52 individual Group 1 winners. In essence, she's on average beating roughly two unique individual G1 winners per victory.

11:25 PM - Mar 2, 2018
Saintly

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

carole wrote:There was a stat floating around somewhere that Winx has beaten 52 individual Group/Grade 1 winners in her 26 victories. Seems pretty impressive to me!

ETA: Found a tweet referring to it:
Candice Hare
@CandiceHare_
Mind-blowing stat ahead of Winx's return in the G1 Chipping Norton: in her 26 victories, she's beaten a total of 52 individual Group 1 winners. In essence, she's on average beating roughly two unique individual G1 winners per victory.

11:25 PM - Mar 2, 2018
It sounds impressive at first glance. I wonder what the figure would be for the likes of Cigar ? Frankel ? Curlin ? I'll leave that to someone far less lazy than me to work out.

Coolmore's website claim So You Think accounted for over 75 individual G1 winners in his racing career (from fewer starts & wins than the great mare). Some blokes on an Australian forum worked it out to 82 - while not suggesting that this meant he was better than Winx

There's a post on page 80 of this thread http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au ... age80.htmlwhich lists all of the G1 winners Winx has left in her wake. There are some good posters on that forum but there are some weird cats as well. Enter at own risk ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 am

So You Think was a really, really good horse who danced all the dances. He didn't win all the time but, damn, that horse showed up EVERYWHERE. IIRC, he was unbeaten in Oz races but, after he won the Cox Plate and was 3rd in the Melbourne Cup, he was sent to Ballydoyle and Aiden O'Brien.
Over two (I think?) seasons, O'Brien ran him in the Dubai World Cup, Royal Ascot, Champions Stakes (both Irish & British), the Arc, Breeder's Cup Classic and more. He won some and finished in front of a lot of good horses even in the ones he didn't win. With the fields in those races, 82 might be a conservative number. ;)
(I do remember reading that SYT's Aussie trainer said that he could have kept the handsome son of High Chaparral unbeaten if he'd stayed in Oz; AOB admitted that it took him a while to figure out how best to train the colt.)
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:30 am

I agree, So You Think was a REALLY good horse (one of my faves). I think the quote from O' Brien was something like: "I nearly broke him", mostly cause he wanted So You Think to adapt to the European running style. Further back with a burst at the end. It really took him a long time to figure him out and get him back to top level towards the end of his career. I remember that I really appreciated that comment.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 am

Winx's rider, Hugh Bowman, was thrown in the stretch io the Toddman Stakes for 2yo at Randwick. His mount was making a run coming down the stretch when he suddenly...and I mean right NOW...shied to the left by four to six paths. Hugh was thrown like LeBron spiked him, and it's possible that he ended up in front of horses behind him. :(
Candace has reported that Hugh has been taken to the hospital with a possible concussion, and is off the rest of his mounts on the big Randwick card.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:27 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Winx's rider, Hugh Bowman, was thrown in the stretch io the Toddman Stakes for 2yo at Randwick. His mount was making a run coming down the stretch when he suddenly...and I mean right NOW...shied to the left by four to six paths. Hugh was thrown like LeBron spiked him, and it's possible that he ended up in front of horses behind him. :(
Candace has reported that Hugh has been taken to the hospital with a possible concussion, and is off the rest of his mounts on the big Randwick card.
This really sucks for him. Hopefully, we'll get some positive updates soon.
Saintly

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Winx's rider, Hugh Bowman, was thrown in the stretch io the Toddman Stakes for 2yo at Randwick. His mount was making a run coming down the stretch when he suddenly...and I mean right NOW...shied to the left by four to six paths. Hugh was thrown like LeBron spiked him, and it's possible that he ended up in front of horses behind him. :(
Mild concussion, a couple of minor abrasions. All scans clear but will be kept in hospital overnight for observation. I believe the concussion was from when he hit the ground rather than being galloped on.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Saintly wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Mild concussion, a couple of minor abrasions. All scans clear but will be kept in hospital overnight for observation. I believe the concussion was from when he hit the ground rather than being galloped on.
That's good to hear. Thanks, Saintly.
Jumron

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:34 am

Hugh Bowman was listed on a couple of stakes horses the next day on the card at Canberra...they were the favorites or second or third choices in the betting, and one of them won with another jockey. I'm glad Bowman will be all right but I'm sure he's not too happy on not being able to ride at Canberra.
Laughter is an instant vacation.....Milton Berle
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Winx is supposed to be out for a gallop soon on the track at Rosehill. It's just a conditioning gallop, but it's a testament to what a queen she is for a track like Rosehill to allow a horse out on the track in the middle of a card. 8-)

ETA: She looked good and Kerrin McEvoy seemed to get along with her. That could be important, as Hugh has still not been cleared to ride due to his concussion. I'm glad that the racing officials are enforcing concussion protocols, but Winx is racing next Friday. It would be strange to see a different rider on her, although she doesn't appear to be hard to pilot. Just ready, aim...and whoosh. :mrgreen:
honneerider

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Bowman cleared to ride Winx
Champion jockey Hugh Bowman is free to ride Winx as the superstar headlines racing at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday after receiving a clearance from stewards on Monday.

And Bowman is also looking forward to literally getting back on the horse when he reunites with Performer, the colt that threw him off at Randwick on March 10, in the feature Group 1 $3.5m Longines Golden Slipper (1200m).
Sparrow Castle

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 pm

Kementari to tackle world champion Winx in Doncaster lead-up
A combination of hope, reality and purpose will accompany Godolphin’s star Australian colt Kementari into his meeting with the world champion filly Winx in the G1 George Ryder Stakes at Rosehill on Saturday, 24 March.

The George Ryder represents a tremendous challenge for Kementari (Brenton Avdulla), a last-start winner of the G1 Randwick Guineas, for his trainer James Cummings and for the Godolphin team.

But Cummings has kept his hopes and expectations in check, focussing more heavily on the colt’s major target, the A$3 million G1 Doncaster Mile at Randwick on Saturday, 7 April.

“We have our feet firmly on the ground when it comes to appreciating how far behind Winx he is when it comes to achievement and world rankings,” Cummings said.

“We expect our colt to run well, and like everybody else, we also look forward to seeing Winx step out.”

While Winx, the winner of her past 23 races, 16 of them at G1, reigns supreme in the world thoroughbred order, she has rarely been challenged by a horse with Kementari’s combination of youth and ability.

“He’ll go to races prepared to run well, but we have no pressure on the horse to beat Winx,” Cummings.

“It’s simply the run he needs to get to the Doncaster and we’ll be more than proud if he could just race up to Winx and make things interesting. We’re happy to saddle him up.”
https://news.godolphin.com/news/kementa ... aster-lead