2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby ThreeMustangs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Somnambulist wrote:In any other year I would likely dislike Always Dreaming but I don't really think that this year I do.

I've also been reading a lot of distrust about Irish War Cry. He is far from perfect but I'm just wondering who in this field you can trust. Girvin? At least he's consistent.

I think one of IWC's biggest selling points is his sire. Curlin has already had Preakness and Belmont winners and I think he'll eventually get a Derby winner, too. Why not this year? PoTN is obviously another proven classsic sire, so I'm not throwing CE out, either.
ThreeMustangs

Postby Treve » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Mark Casse was interviewed on HRRN and when asked who he was most worried about he stated Irish War Cry and Always Dreaming, as he believes those two's conditioners will know how to have them ready.
He did joke that he was relieved there would be no Bob Baffert in the Derby this year "I feel bad for him- well no actually I don't really feel bad, he's the toughest guy out there" :lol:
He also mentions that when Classic Empire will breeze, it will be something nice n' easy on the slower side by design, like his last work before the Arkansas Derby.
You can find the interview here.

Pletcher ready for another Kentucky Derby run.
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/keeping- ... y-run.aspx
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby With Anticipation » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Big Change to Kentucky Oaks Look for Jockeys

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - This year there will be a big change to the Kentucky Oaks, and it’s one that you won’t miss. For the first time in its’ 143 year history, the jockeys will be wearing pink pants as part of Churchill Downs’ “Pink Out".

http://www.wave3.com/story/35203147/big ... or-jockeys
With Anticipation

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:22 pm

^^So TB racing can change old traditions, lol. ^^

Durkin Joins West Point Partnership on Always Dreaming
Legendary track announcer Tom Durkin has joined the West Point Thoroughbreds partnership that owns a minority interest in GI Florida Derby hero and GI Kentucky Derby contender Always Dreaming (Bodemeister). In addition to West Point Thoroughbreds, the bay’s ownership group includes MeB Racing Stables LLC, Brooklyn Boyz Stables, Teresa Viola Racing Stables, St. Elias Stabless LLC and Siena Farm.

“I always wondered how it would feel to be in the paddock as an owner of a horse in the Kentucky Derby,” said Durkin. “Now, it’s surreal to think I could be in the winner’s circle. I’m grateful to the entire ownership group for the opportunity to own a part of a special horse.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/durkin-joins-west-point-partnership-on-always-dreaming/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 am

With Anticipation wrote:Big Change to Kentucky Oaks Look for Jockeys

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - This year there will be a big change to the Kentucky Oaks, and it’s one that you won’t miss. For the first time in its’ 143 year history, the jockeys will be wearing pink pants as part of Churchill Downs’ “Pink Out".

http://www.wave3.com/story/35203147/big ... or-jockeys

Ick.

Why don't we do blue day on Saturday? You know, let's raise awareness for prostate cancer.

So I'm all for boy-power Saturday, with baby blue jockey pants and all the crowd wearing baby blue. Complete with 143 men taking part in their survivor's parade.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Life At Zen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am

Fox Hill Farm has sold Battle of Midway to WinStar Farm and Don Alberto.
A R R O G A T E
Dortmund, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Iliad, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Postby peeptoad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 pm

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36243

IRAP (Blue Grass winner): With Julien Leparoux back aboard, and with trainer Doug O'Neill on hand, the colt went a mile in 1:44. Starting at the 7-furlong pole on the clubhouse turn of this 1 1/16-mile oval, and going solo, Irap went in splits of 15, 29, 41.20, 53, 1:06, and 1:30 (clockers originally credited the colt with the 7-furlong time of 1:30, but O'Neill asked that it be recorded as a mile). All times were inordinately slow because of how easily the colt went early, which Turrell, a veteran Southern California clocker, noted is "standard operating procedure for O'Neill."

:?:
peeptoad

Postby Big Ten » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Somnambulist wrote:In any other year I would likely dislike Always Dreaming but I don't really think that this year I do.

I've also been reading a lot of distrust about Irish War Cry. He is far from perfect but I'm just wondering who in this field you can trust. Girvin? At least he's consistent.

Hence went wide in that Oaklawn race but he was a no show at some point too. I feel like they all are. Who has the most legit excuse for a no show? Classic Empire?
I think McCraken, Classic Empire, and Irish War Cry are pretty consistent in my eyes. McCraken and IWC only lost once in their career. The former had a bad trip and probably wasn't fully cranked ala Unbridled and Street Sense since Wilkes has been around those horses under Nafzger.

IWC had a questionable ride and result in the FOY but bounced back. I want to see IWC and Always Dreaming hook up early and see if IWC hangs for third like Dortmund did two years ago. They look so alike. While Classic Empire wasn't 100% in his recent loss and lost his rider in another.

I do agree with Matt Corothers that there is quite a drop off in talent after the Top 5 with a mish mash of different horses. But if you focus on the top 4-5 betting choices, they are actually pretty consistent running with a lone dud. Even California Chrome and American Pharoah lost prior to their Derby win.

The only 3YO this year that actually did impress me was Mastery though. I see another Shared Belief-like talent in him. Gotta love those Candy Rides. From Arrogate to Mastery, how lucky can Mike Smith and Bob Baffert be? I will continue to bet against Pletcher until his trainees win more Derbies. So AD backers, keep dreamin'...

I see 2011 and 2013 all over again with no real standouts. Non-Californian winner coming from off the pace. A California speedster won't win it this year or at least I hope not. I'm Californian but have so much love for the East.
Rock Hard Ten. Zenyatta. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. California Chrome. American Pharoah. Seattle Slew. Secretariat. Affirmed.
Big Ten

Postby MySaladDays » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Big Ten wrote: I do agree with Matt Corothers that there is quite a drop off in talent after the Top 5 with a mish mash of different horses. But if you focus on the top 4-5 betting choices, they are actually pretty consistent

Running 1-1/6th, and usually ONE 1-1/8th. And not at CD, which many horses find "quirky" even though it is a pretty fair track. :D

The problem with the Derby is that some horses who cross the finish line 1st or 2nd didn't know they would/could, the betting public didn't, and even the trainers really don't know.

I attach myself to capping it pretty eagerly, as a hobby, as a brain exercize, and because I enjoy this time of year, reading other people's great insights.

As a risk/reward ratio, it's actually a lousy race to spend $$ on sometimes. :lol: so I don't take it too seriously.

That overhead shot from the sky, of Mine That Bird, barrelling past "top talent' horses like they were telephone poles rooted in the ground, and not even obstacles, really brings that home for me every year. :lol:

BTW, I am still stuck over a few horses, I think Gunnevera had a pretty terrible trip in the FL Derby, I am still trying to decide if I like him or IWC better, if anhybody wants to yak about it.
MySaladDays

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm

KENTUCKY DERBY, OAKS WORKOUTS TO BE STREAMED LIVE ON TWITTER;
EXCLUSIVE 8:30-8:45 A.M. TRAINING WINDOW BEGINS SATURDAY

Churchill Downs Racetrack, in conjunction with TwinSpires.com, will provide live
online streaming of Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks contenders’ workouts when the exclusive 8:30-8:45 a.m. (all times Eastern) training window begins Saturday in earnest.

The live stream presented by TwinSpires.com will be available at multiple sources including on Twitter via @KentuckyDerby and kentuckyderby.twitter.com; on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/kentuckyderby; and http://www.kentuckyderby.com/workouts/live.

The Twitter stream, available globally to logged-in and logged-out users, also will feature a timeline of Kentucky Derby-related tweets alongside the live video itself.

The live video will include graphics to identify each horse and Churchill Downs’ Joe Kristufek will provide commentary

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/uploads/wysiwyg/assets/uploads/20170421_Derby_Oaks_Workouts_Streamed_Live.pdf
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing