2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby PJMIII » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:54 am

The 38th running of the Sam F. Davis S. (G3) at Tampa Bay Downs will replace Canada’s Grey S. (G3) on the list of 35-select races that comprise the 2016-17 “Road to the Kentucky Derby,” Churchill Downs officials announced Monday.

http://forum.turfnsport.com/newthread.p ... hread&f=11
PJMIII
 
Posts: 8023
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby peeptoad » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 am

Japanese races to award one Kentucky Derby berth (plus the points schedule for all races is at the end of the article; The Grey was eliminated this year in favor if the Sam Davis):

http://www.drf.com/news/japanese-races-award-one-kentucky-derby-berth
peeptoad
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 am

peeptoad wrote:Japanese races to award one Kentucky Derby berth (plus the points schedule for all races is at the end of the article; The Grey was eliminated this year in favor if the Sam Davis):

http://www.drf.com/news/japanese-races-award-one-kentucky-derby-berth


This seems pointless. Why do we need this?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6897
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby peeptoad » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:27 am

Somnambulist wrote:
peeptoad wrote:Japanese races to award one Kentucky Derby berth (plus the points schedule for all races is at the end of the article; The Grey was eliminated this year in favor if the Sam Davis):

http://www.drf.com/news/japanese-races-award-one-kentucky-derby-berth


This seems pointless. Why do we need this?

Because... Lani? :?:
peeptoad
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby Northport » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:33 am

Somnambulist wrote:
peeptoad wrote:Japanese races to award one Kentucky Derby berth (plus the points schedule for all races is at the end of the article; The Grey was eliminated this year in favor if the Sam Davis):

http://www.drf.com/news/japanese-races-award-one-kentucky-derby-berth


This seems pointless. Why do we need this?


As a fan of Japanese racing.... I personally think it is a lot more fun/interesting to have a winning Japanese horse in the Derby than the American horse who was 4th in two American Derby preps. Will the Japanese horse win the Derby? Unlikely, but it could at least make the lead up to the race a little more interesting.
weeeeeeeee
User avatar
Northport
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:51 am

Interesting to me would be if the horse actually has a shot, not the best chance to run 9th.

I would rather them get rid of an auto berth for this and the UAE Derby and then find a way to cap the field at 14.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6897
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby Treve » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:02 am

Somnambulist wrote:Interesting to me would be if the horse actually has a shot, not the best chance to run 9th.

I would rather them get rid of an auto berth for this and the UAE Derby and then find a way to cap the field at 14.


If the races are scheduled in Nov as two year olds and one in early 2017, that would actually give horses a shot at coming to North America and recovering from the mileage, bypassing the UAE Derby entirely. They may even have time to run in an additional prep stateside... determine if they should get on Lasix etc. Why wouldn't they have an actual chance in such a case?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby peeptoad » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:03 pm

It might be worth noting (for what reason I'm not sure, maybe it merely has to do with the race timing and long transit time from Japan to KY?) that the Japanese race in November that's worth points is worth 4 times the points of any other 2yo race, including the BC Juvenile. It's the only 2yo race worth more than 10 pts for the winner.
I'm assuming the Japanese race slated early in the 3yo season will be worth 50 the same as the other mid-points races offered Stateside, but it's conceivable that a horse could win the 2yo race and have enough points to get into field without any other racing.
peeptoad
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Treve wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Interesting to me would be if the horse actually has a shot, not the best chance to run 9th.

I would rather them get rid of an auto berth for this and the UAE Derby and then find a way to cap the field at 14.


If the races are scheduled in Nov as two year olds and one in early 2017, that would actually give horses a shot at coming to North America and recovering from the mileage, bypassing the UAE Derby entirely. They may even have time to run in an additional prep stateside... determine if they should get on Lasix etc. Why wouldn't they have an actual chance in such a case?


It's like me getting an A in algebra 101 and thinking I have what it takes to get a math PhD. There is a chance, I guess.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6897
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: 2017 Kentucky Derby News & Notes

Postby Treve » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Treve wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Interesting to me would be if the horse actually has a shot, not the best chance to run 9th.

I would rather them get rid of an auto berth for this and the UAE Derby and then find a way to cap the field at 14.


If the races are scheduled in Nov as two year olds and one in early 2017, that would actually give horses a shot at coming to North America and recovering from the mileage, bypassing the UAE Derby entirely. They may even have time to run in an additional prep stateside... determine if they should get on Lasix etc. Why wouldn't they have an actual chance in such a case?


It's like me getting an A in algebra 101 and thinking I have what it takes to get a math PhD. There is a chance, I guess.


I don't understand why though? Isn't that true of most colts attempting the TC trail? It's not like Japan doesn't have high quality Bloodstock. Training methods may not be entirely adapted for pure speed they tend to train more for distance, but it's not like they've never successfully ran on dirt when coming to the US before. And with connections increasingly investing not just in turf but dirt US bloodlines and breeding for it, I don't see what distinguishes them from US based colts aside from drugs and air mileage.
I'm not discounting your opinion, I am just curious to understand why you think that way.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Next

Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Colonel John, Majestic-12 [Bot], Squally, Summer Bird and 10 guests