Saratoga Breakdowns

Saratoga Breakdowns

Postby Ken » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:29 pm

8 deaths already this year and now facing protests this weekend. That is a very high number for just 2 weeks. This does not even include horses like stakes winner Recepta and Stradivari who brokedown and fighting for their lives. The numbers are usually only 10 or 11 for an entire meet. Lack of rain? Heat wave? Something not right. At this rate we are talking 30 horse deaths at Saratoga. The protestors are usually very dishonest but they have a point this time.

https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/

http://cbs6albany.com/news/local/group- ... -dark-side
Ken

Re: Saratoga Breakdowns

Postby Flanders » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:24 pm

I would hope they would water the track enough to make lack of rain not a factor. Plus the injuries have happened on both the training and the Main track and at different poles. Its different injuries too, sesamoids, cannon bones, ulna, pelvis, a lot don't say what they broke.

I think you have a mixture of accidents or bad steps and horses that have had soundness issues in the past. The vast majority were claiming level horses.
Flanders

Postby sweettalk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:58 pm

funny, i was just thinking about this. del mar got a post immediately while saratoga was just not being discussed. flanders brings up good points, and i want to add a suggestion to that - how many of the horses at both del mar and saratoga are unsound but the owners/trainers/whoever want to coax a race out of them so they can say they raced at the track in question? god knows there are plenty of horses who entered the derby with 0 chance just so the owners could say they were in the derby.
Airplanes are actually much, much safer than trains and cars when it comes to flying.
sweettalk

Postby Catalina » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Flanders wrote:I would hope they would water the track enough to make lack of rain not a factor. Plus the injuries have happened on both the training and the Main track and at different poles. Its different injuries too, sesamoids, cannon bones, ulna, pelvis, a lot don't say what they broke.

I think you have a mixture of accidents or bad steps and horses that have had soundness issues in the past. The vast majority were claiming level horses.

Horses that had soundness issues in the past, likely so. Bad steps? Ah, that handy description that so conveniently absolves people and tracks... If you recall the vet report out of Kentucky a few years back, their research showed the vast majority of horses that broke down and had to be euthanized showed evidence of prior injuries that connected to the eventual breakdown. And that also means that the liberally used phrase blaming a horse's bad step for the fatal breakdown in the vast majority of cases is nothing other then whitewash. Gee, nothing we did or neglected to do, just a "bad step". Hogwash (and that wasn't the first word that came to mind).
Catalina

Postby barbaro111 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Catalina wrote:
Flanders wrote:I would hope they would water the track enough to make lack of rain not a factor. Plus the injuries have happened on both the training and the Main track and at different poles. Its different injuries too, sesamoids, cannon bones, ulna, pelvis, a lot don't say what they broke.

Horses that had soundness issues in the past, likely so. Bad steps? Ah, that handy description that so conveniently absolves people and tracks... If you recall the vet report out of Kentucky a few years back, their research showed the vast majority of horses that broke down and had to be euthanized showed evidence of prior injuries that connected to the eventual breakdown. And that also means that the liberally used phrase blaming a horse's bad step for the fatal breakdown in the vast majority of cases is nothing other then whitewash. Gee, nothing we did or neglected to do, just a "bad step". Hogwash (and that wasn't the first word that came to mind).

Yep--- the ever handy 'bad step' speech makes me livid
barbaro111

Postby barbaro111 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:23 pm

I hate to even say this , but if one of the very top tier popular horses would break down -- and i pray that does not happem--alot more people would be upset --i hope if it is a track issue, they fix it---
barbaro111

Postby Flanders » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 pm

barbaro111 wrote:I hate to even say this , but if one of the very top tier popular horses would break down -- and i pray that does not happem--alot more people would be upset --i hope if it is a track issue, they fix it---

I don't want to see any horses breakdown. It happens though. I don't see how it can be the track when it happened on both the training and main track and at various places around the track.

Like I said above, its mostly lower end horses. The purses are big at Saratoga, I think some owners/trainers are willing to roll the dice. I would assume that the cheaper horses aren't gone over as well as the top horses. Its unfortunate.
Flanders

Postby racefan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:34 pm

They could go the next 10 days with no breakdowns. It happens. The track looks the same as it's been for years. How can anyone pin something like this on the track.

Not sure of the numbers, but it seems to be me, this year there has been much more lower level racing, especially on the weekday cards. That will lead to more breakdowns obviously.
racefan

Postby Man o Taz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:32 pm

I hope it is not an issue of resources. With NYRA trying to maximize profits, I hope they have not allowed the track maintenance team to suffer from it in terms of overtime, quality of personnel, etc.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Man o Taz

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:40 pm

I said this in the Del Mar thread. Horses are at an increased risk when they change track surfaces. That is undoubtedly part of the reason why we see an increase when horses move from where they're normally stabled for these boutique meets.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Racing