Arrogate

Della

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:27 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:
Apollo wrote: Late bloomers are always frauds to some degree.
So you are saying that Cigar was a fraud?

Or Zenyatta?
Curtis

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:02 pm

I don't want to speak for Apollo but I do remember getting the idea from his posts that he holds Triple Crown race participants in high regard. I'm guessing then a different set of criteria for a mare but I'd only be guessing.
Somnambulist

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 pm

Curtis wrote:I don't want to speak for Apollo but I do remember getting the idea from his posts that he holds Triple Crown race participants in high regard. I'm guessing then a different set of criteria for a mare but I'd only be guessing.
Arrogate is also not a front runner so surely he's doomed.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Squeaky

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 am

Any word on how Arrogate is doing the last few days? I saw a brief video on Twitter of him jogging. I wonder if Bob has a new training regimen in place? I also wonder why he has been trained to break slowly and come from behind when one of his best races he was near/ on the lead in the Travers? Would like to see him get his speed back again...
Diver52

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Some commentator on TVG thought he should work solo a few times rather than breaking off well behind workmates. I might try working him from the gate, too. There is such a thing as being too relaxed!

But really, that race was just too bad to explain.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Baffert says he prefers to stay home and run in the Pacific Classic Aug 19th....BUT.....if he thinks Arrogate needs an extra week to be 100% then he'd ship to the Woodward Stakes on Sept 2nd.

http://www.drf.com/news/preview/arrogat ... ard-backup
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
honneerider

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Since I will be at Saratoga for the Woodward, would be a nice surprise
stark

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:07 am

Jay Privman‏
@DRFPrivman

Arrogate just now 4f in 47 and change on Baffert watch, out 5f in 1:00.31. BB broke into a wide smile and dabbed

"He was good today." Re: Pacific Classic, "We're running." Full story up in a bit at http://www.drf.com
peeptoad

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:46 am

stark wrote:Jay Privman‏
@DRFPrivman

Arrogate just now 4f in 47 and change on Baffert watch, out 5f in 1:00.31. BB broke into a wide smile and dabbed

"He was good today." Re: Pacific Classic, "We're running." Full story up in a bit at http://www.drf.com
Hopefully he rebounds in the Pac Classic, though he did look good working prior to his lackluster race, so who knows. I'd be happy to tear up a ticket when he beats me though. I was kind of hoping he'd go to the Spa though since I'll be there Woodward day. I probably won't get a chance to see him live before he retires (unless the Pegasus race is run at SA next year because I might be in SoCal then).
CoronadosQuest

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:21 pm

He was the fastest of 21 works too (47:20 was official time). I hope xbtv has a video of it soon :)
stark

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:He was the fastest of 21 works too (47:20 was official time). I hope xbtv has a video of it soon :)
http://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/arrog ... c-classic/
Diver52

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 pm

He sure looks a lot more enthusiastic than he did ten days ago! I see Bob took my advice and dumped the target. :lol:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Squeaky

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Noticed he had his head turned out to the right around the turn as if looking at the stands then straightened out down the stretch. Still worried about possible soundness issues. I am a huge Arrogate fan but thought Accelerate's work was more impressive today. With Accelerate and Collected in the race, Arro better be in a running mood for the PC. Hope they continue to encourage more speed in his works, especially in the beginning so he doesn't fall too far behind early in the race. I'll be rooting for him for sure!
Kay16

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 am

Squeaky wrote:Noticed he had his head turned out to the right around the turn as if looking at the stands then straightened out down the stretch. Still worried about possible soundness issues. I am a huge Arrogate fan but thought Accelerate's work was more impressive today. With Accelerate and Collected in the race, Arro better be in a running mood for the PC. Hope they continue to encourage more speed in his works, especially in the beginning so he doesn't fall too far behind early in the race. I'll be rooting for him for sure!
I think you're looking too hard.
And if Arrogate is anywhere near his best, they'll need serious running shoes. Won't matter where he is in the race, that's proven.

He looked like he needed a tune up before his last race. He looks like those cylinders are firing up now.
Squeaky

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:20 am

Hope you are right! Would love to see Arro return to his best.
peeptoad

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 am

stark wrote:
CoronadosQuest wrote:He was the fastest of 21 works too (47:20 was official time). I hope xbtv has a video of it soon :)
http://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/arrog ... c-classic/
He looked fantastic imo, but I thought he looked great prior to his last as well. I also don't really see his head being cocked to the right, except when he's coming off the turn, but I think that's just because he's cornering, while still accelerating.
Man, I love these summer stakes races coast to coast... can't wait to see Arrogate in action again.
katmandu

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:50 pm

He is somewhat bent to the right all the way down the backstretch, it's just more apparent when he comes around the corner. His head is cocked when he is on his left lead, when he switches to the right, he straightens.

The current version of his defeat in the San Diego is that he hadn't fully recovered from his work just prior to the race. I find that much more believable than he was short. He didn't run like a short horse, he didn't run at all.
Kay16

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Squeaky wrote:Hope you are right! Would love to see Arro return to his best.

Me too!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:14 pm

He didn't run like a short horse, he didn't run at all.

And that's the thing that worries me...even a 80-90% Arrogate should have done better in the San Diego. He just didn't run.
If the problem isn't fitness or sudden loss of the ability to run fast (which his recent work indicates he still has), then what if the problem is between his ears? :?
peeptoad

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm

katmandu wrote:He is somewhat bent to the right all the way down the backstretch, it's just more apparent when he comes around the corner. His head is cocked when he is on his left lead, when he switches to the right, he straightens.

The current version of his defeat in the San Diego is that he hadn't fully recovered from his work just prior to the race. I find that much more believable than he was short. He didn't run like a short horse, he didn't run at all.
Ah, I'll watch the vid again. I was watching his overall stride and not really focused on his head specifically until he was coming off the turn into the stretch.