Arrogate

Re: Arrogate

Postby bare it all » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Squeaky wrote:Asked about this on the Paulick Report and Ray emailed back that he was told by Baffert barn that it was not a patch but was “ shoeing support,” whatever that means.

Interesting. I wonder if it's somehow to make the hoof wall firmer/thicker when using nail-in shoes? I readily admit not knowing the first thing about how shoes on a racehorse work. I do know TB's tend to be pretty brittle/thin walled and maybe he's had some issues.
bare it all

Postby Catalina » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Squeaky wrote:Asked about this on the Paulick Report and Ray emailed back that he was told by Baffert barn that it was not a patch but was “ shoeing support,” whatever that means.

Now I don't know the first thing about this, but seems to me if Arrogate needs this "shoeing support" in order to safely run, then he shouldn't be running.
That's a pretty... stratospheric... assumption.

My specialty, I suppose. And I will be delighted if Arrogate wins going away and shows no ill effects from whatever necessitates the use of the "shoeing support".
Catalina

Postby CoronadosQuest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Catalina wrote:
Tessablue wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Now I don't know the first thing about this, but seems to me if Arrogate needs this "shoeing support" in order to safely run, then he shouldn't be running.
That's a pretty... stratospheric... assumption.

My specialty, I suppose. And I will be delighted if Arrogate wins going away and shows no ill effects from whatever necessitates the use of the "shoeing support".

He wore it in the Pegasus and it didn't seem to stop him then.
CoronadosQuest

Postby Catalina » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Complete with the "shoeing support:? That's encouraging then.
Catalina

Postby Treve » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Looks to me like it could be some kind of adhesive/filler to help the shoe fit better to his foot whilst simultaneously supporting the stress of racing. I don't think it's an orthopaedic thing so much as it is one meant to avoid shoes ripping off. Also, not the same as a racehorse obviously but there's a tb at my barn that has a foot with really weird uneven growth patterns so occasionally the farrier adds some kind of glue to fill in the area so there isn't an uncomfortable gap.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Miss Woodford » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Catalina wrote:

Did you see Big Brown's feet when he was racing? He had more epoxy and acrylic than actual hoof. He had hoof wall separation on both front feet in the spring before the Derby necessitating glue-on shoes with embedded copper clips, a quarter crack held together with steel sutures before the Belmont and retired after tearing off his heel bulb.

If BB could run on those, Arrogate is fine.
Miss Woodford

Postby Starine » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 pm

The Unsolved Mystery of Arrogate (Steve Haskin)
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... ogate.aspx
Starine

Postby Squeaky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Anyone have any updates on how Arro is settling in at the farm? I hope he is finally getting some pasture time.
Squeaky

Postby Squeaky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

There is a twitter page from Juddmonte showing Arro in a large stall but there is a metal grate over the front and back windows that reminds me of a cage. I recall Pharoah had that but Coolmore eventually modified the front opening so he could stick his head out. I know Arro is not as friendly as AP and Bob said he doesn’t like it when people stand in front of his stall- gets agitated and starts tossing his head ( unless one has carrots), so perhaps that is a reason. I just can’t wait to see him romping in a pasture.
Squeaky

Postby mariasmon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 pm

I saw him on Saturday. He's really happy and bright. He definitely does NOT look skinny, wrung out or tired. They said he has been getting short periods of turnout. Mizzen Mast got kicked out of his paddock for Arrogate, because that paddock is visible from the farm manager's house and he wants to be able to see the big guy from his window.
mariasmon

PreviousNext

Return to Racing