Arrogate

Re: Arrogate

Postby luvsgeldings » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:55 am

mike smith just interviewed on local SoCal TB radio show had a couple of interesting things to say about arro - he did say del mar is probably not arro's favorite track, but smith also did say arro gets over it just fine - he said the horse is sound - and he made a comment about when at different spots in the race arro 'decided' to run, he was going good - it sounded like smith was disappointed or frustrated with arro's overall effort and inconsistency - although he did say he is '110%' sure that after arro gets a freshening, he will be ready for them in the BC.
luvsgeldings

Postby Big Ten » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:18 pm

I think Arrogate hates Del Mar like I hate Del Mar. But he hates the surface, short turns and I hate how small and crowded it can be over there with obnoxious rich drunks bragging they won or lost $5K-10K like that money is worth only $20-$40 to them. The results have always been wonky. I had better luck up north.

On BC, I will play Arrogate at 5-2 or higher. Keep the faith. Anything lower, then I will go with Collected who seems to love the track and peaking at the right time. I like Gun Runner but I don't like shippers. Keep it local. I prefer if Arrogate ran in the Awesome Again in October at Santa Anita.

Face it, Arrogate is a flash in a pan that won four stakes races. Five months ago, he would have destroyed this field. He shouldn't be tailing off, feeling tired, or losing interest after only nine career starts and only four career stakes wins. Even American Pharoah never lost back-to-back and won twice as many G1s.

Arrogate shouldn't retire yet though. Maybe one more BCC win to try go out on top. Put him above $20M. Tiznow was losing consecutive races too with back issues before winning his 2nd BCC at 6-1. But if Arrogate did lose this year's BCC, it wouldn't be surprising. He just isn't the same horse.

No horse who won the Pacific Classic won the Breeders' Cup Classic right after. Pleasantly Perfect won the PC after he won the BC. Then again the BC has never been held at Del Mar until this year. Arrogate did break his maiden in Del Mar so maybe finish with a win there.
Rock Hard Ten. Zenyatta. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. California Chrome. American Pharoah. Seattle Slew. Secretariat. Affirmed.
Big Ten

Postby Starine » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Watchmaker: Arrogate has taken us into a gray area
http://www.drf.com/news/watchmaker-arro ... -gray-area
Starine

Postby Tessablue » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 pm

After these past two starts, I imagine Arrogate is questioning Smith's consistency as well... plenty of horses would have quit after being urged out of the gate then held up and kept wide the entire race.
Tessablue

Postby stark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Baffert taking all the blame, says the timing of the races was all wrong, never should have run in the SanDiego prepping for the PacificClassic, just should've waited.
And he says he will learn from his mistakes and just wait for the BreedersCup, no reason for a race in-between.

Fresh, rested 'n ready for all comers, even that "good little horse Collected"
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm

...smith also did say arro gets over it just fine - he said the horse is sound - and he made a comment about when at different spots in the race arro 'decided' to run, he was going good - it sounded like smith was disappointed or frustrated with arro's overall effort and inconsistency...

This kind of sounds like my 'the problem may be between his ears' remark after the San Diego loss. If that horse has 'decided' that he doesn't like working so hard over a surface that he has 'decided' he doesn't like, there may be little even a trainer like BB can do about it.
If he were a human, a sports psychologist would be in order, but a horse....? :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Treve » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:39 pm

For me there was always some suspense for Arrogate's BCC because no horse has won the DWC and the BCC in the same year ever, either. (which is why I'm saying the "triple" series for older males should be PWC - DWC - BCC, rather than BCC, PWC, DWC)
People who mentioned this fact last year regarding California Chrome were scoffed at - and in all fairness, he was half a length from accomplishing it... but the fact remains.

But I didn't expect Arrogate to look as visibly mortal as he has coming into the BCC. It's going to be wide open... I expect a full field in the Classic this year.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Northport » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:02 am

Admin wrote:
Northport wrote:
Squeaky wrote:I still think there is something physically wrong with Arro. Has nowhere near the same acceleration and fluidity of his stride as earlier in the year. I wonder if he tweaked something in Dubai and it has been bothering him since then. Seems like rads and a thorough ultrasound of his legs would be in order.

I would assume that a horse of his caliber would have these tests done after every race regardless of the finish. If something was physically wrong with Arrogate, they would have found it after his last race.

No one runs a complete physical after every race that I know of. Particularly if the exam includes a bone scan. Usually one wouldn't look if all is going along fine. You'd start looking if the horse seems off in any way including a performance that wasn't up to par. Then you may do a thorough exam (possibly including bone exam) as a matter of routine between campaigns. For example, we sent Songbird for a complete exam before she had her Winter break each of the past 2 years, and it was only through that exam we found that Songbird had bone bruising that went back a couple months including during her BC run. A little known fact to the general public is how incredible a vet Dr. Bramlage is, that he can spot lameness in a horse that eludes even the very best of trainers and track vets. I sure hope that there's some vet out there who can fill his shoes when he retires.

Thanks for the insight on bonescanning and Dr. Bramlage, didn't know that they can lurk so far below the surface.

They declared Arrogate fine physically so fast after the last race (by Sunday), its basically not possible that he had a bone scan. I don't know where the nearest equipment is to Del Mar -- it may be up at Santa Anita.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Squeaky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:26 am

Kind of quiet lately.. wonder when his next work will be? I wonder if he is getting used to the track?
Squeaky

Postby Point Given » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Arrogate (4-Year-Old Colt)
Date: September 18, 2017
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 49:60 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
Point Given

PreviousNext