Arrogate

Re: Arrogate

Postby carole » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Should Gun Runner continue to run exceptionally this year, he might just snatch the Older Male Eclipse, and maybe even HOTY?

If Arrogate does hate this surface though, he will have a tough time in the Classic.
carole

Postby Tessablue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Yeah HOTY will likely go to the Classic winner. If all the current contenders make it, I think it'll actually set up tougher for Gun Runner in terms of tactics. A lot of speed signed on at the moment and perhaps he'll dislike the track as well. Of course, Arrogate ran a lot better when pressed to keep up, so who knows...

I dunno. I feel better than I expected to feel at this time today. He tried hard, he gave up a lot of ground, the beyer is going to be pretty good, and there's still a lot of time to right the ship. And who knows what the track will be like in the fall? I can live with this situation.
Last edited by Tessablue on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tessablue

Postby Squeaky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:18 pm

I still think there is something physically wrong with Arro. Has nowhere near the same acceleration and fluidity of his stride as earlier in the year. I wonder if he tweaked something in Dubai and it has been bothering him since then. Seems like rads and a thorough ultrasound of his legs would be in order. If clean then maybe he just really does not get hold of this track. Agree he did not look happy, but then he always runs with his ears flat back so not sure what happy for him looks like. Hope he can rebound but not hopeful. I think Gun Runner on the upswing, Arto maybe tailing off .
Squeaky

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 pm

I suspect that Baffert had every test on the menu done after the clunker the big grey threw in the San Diego.
I just think he hates the surface, which is not the same as it was last year. Didn't Del Mar try to 'duplicate' the Santa Anita dirt surface?
I've seen some remarks elsewhere that indicate the dirt has not had time to 'settle,' and is deep and tiring.
I can only hope that, by the time the BC rolls around, the dirt has been 'settled' and groomed to a kinder, faster, Arro-lovin' track.
Until then, I would guess that the World rankings are going to change, and put a certain big Aussie mare on top. :P ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Diver52 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Let's give Collected some respect. His progression this year has been amazing and 2.00.3 over the track is racehorse time.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Big Ten » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:13 pm

When I don't bet is when I'm right. Didn't jinx Collected. Happy for anyone who collected on Collected at 3-1. Getting 3/5 on Arrogate when he doesn't look like the same horse from a year ago and probably doesn't care for Del Mar is why I went against him again. At least he finished ahead of Accelerate for the first time. Wide-open BCC race.
Rock Hard Ten. Zenyatta. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. California Chrome. American Pharoah. Seattle Slew. Secretariat. Affirmed.
Big Ten

Postby Squeaky » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Agree. He is a lighter handier horse who skips over the track. Martin predicted this awhile back.
Squeaky

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Yeah...props to Collected and, with the untimely loss of City Zip, he is appears to be ready carry on his sire's legacy.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Northport » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Squeaky wrote:I still think there is something physically wrong with Arro. Has nowhere near the same acceleration and fluidity of his stride as earlier in the year. I wonder if he tweaked something in Dubai and it has been bothering him since then. Seems like rads and a thorough ultrasound of his legs would be in order.

I would assume that a horse of his caliber would have these tests done after every race regardless of the finish. If something was physically wrong with Arrogate, they would have found it after his last race.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman
The Beyer boys tell me the fig looks as though it will be in 112 range, which means Collected got career best, and Arrogate got a 111 (cont)

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman
A 111 for Arrogate is very good number, but it's obviously below what he's capable of doing. He actually ran a decent race on figs. (cont)

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman
that said, the comments from Mike Smith, along with what we can all see, indicate Arrogate still struggling to reach his peak here. (end)

Jay Privman‏ @DRFPrivman
Both Collected and Arrogate will be pointed to the Breeders' Cup Classic. Arrogate will not have a prep, Collected might, per Baffert.
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing